Old October 22, 2002, 10:03   #121
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just brought these things up in case everyone wanted these, but just didn't mention it

There is absolutely no need to incorporate them.

Maybe only if we are unanimous on these subjects
Old October 22, 2002, 10:04   #122
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster13
While I agree I don't like razing. I think it should be allowed since it is part of the game. If you don't like someone doing it, that again becomes an issue of diplomacy.
Having a second thought on razing, I agree. All in-game rules, even if evil ones (like razing or horseman rush), should be allowed. If you don't agree with them, declare war or trade embargo and "basta".
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 10:11   #123
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Like I said, I'm perfectly happy with using the standard rules.

When wu used to play monopoly (long time ago ),
we agreed on a extra rule:
when going past start, you get a 100$,right, but finishing on the start square, you got the double amount.
It's just one off those things.

(btw:allmost the biggest thread on the page )
Old October 22, 2002, 10:13   #124
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
Are we agreed then?

Standard rules?

Speak now or forever hold your peace...
Old October 22, 2002, 10:19   #125
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
When wu used to play monopoly (long time ago ),
we agreed on a extra rule:
when going past start, you get a 100$,right, but finishing on the start square, you got the double amount.
It's just one off those things.
It is the standard rule in Monopoly (AFAIR).
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 10:22   #126
alva
Deity

IT IS!!!!

Never knew that. I always thought it was something we made up

Then I hold my peace
Old October 22, 2002, 10:30   #127
Tiberius
Emperor

STANDARD RULES then.

...except for some MP specific rules.
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 10:39   #128
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius

We will play with the unmodded, standard rules, won't we?
I hope so, I want to play Civilization, not Diplomacy...

Let's not get too picky about the specific settings. The more I think about it, since it is the (big booming voice) "FIRST PBEM GAME" we probably should play with all of the standard settings, including accel prod. off (happy Trip?).

I might be fun if we gave scouts an A/D/M of 35/17/12 don't you think?
Old October 22, 2002, 10:41   #129
Tiberius
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
(btw:allmost the biggest thread on the page )
We have to spam more to overthrow the arab thread supremacy
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 10:50   #130
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

There you go, does this help?
Old October 22, 2002, 10:56   #131
Tiberius
Emperor

I hope Markos or Ming won't see you
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 11:08   #132
Tiberius
Emperor

Listen, I want to ask you (all of you) something:

If I will unsuccesfully try to plant a spy , will you declare war on me ?
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 11:11   #133
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

You know, trade embargos might actually be worth something in MP. Usually any resource you don't have you can "requisition" from the AI rather easily. This probably won't be the case with:

Humans who know how to defend key positions...

Humans who know which resources and techs are needed for certain strategical advantages...

Humans that understand the intricacies of diplomacy...
Old October 22, 2002, 11:14   #134
Tiberius
Emperor

Is that a yes or a no ?
--Woody Allen
Old October 22, 2002, 12:06   #135
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:15
That's a yes since otherwise you can find his defenses quite easily.

As far as all those and stuff you plan on using on me... I just don't like them, trust me, against me those don't have a chance of working!

Though I despite standard rules compared with my mod, I suppose I can live with them, so everything is relatively fair.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:48   #136
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
That's a yes since otherwise you can find his defenses quite easily.

As far as all those and stuff you plan on using on me... I just don't like them, trust me, against me those don't have a chance of working!

Though I despite standard rules compared with my mod, I suppose I can live with them, so everything is relatively fair.
My game has also pretty much changed rules, among others, a new designed modern age (Not mine though, somebody posted it in the files section...)...It's nicely done, though I haven't finnished one single game with the new age yet...

That's about the only mod I'd like to play in MP (all other changes, are changes I only made to myself, but they doesn't make gameplay more real...)...But I guess since it's the first PBEM game, we should proberbly play with standard rules...
Old October 22, 2002, 13:29   #137
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Since everyone here realizes knowledge is power, I'm sure if I catch someone trying to put a spy in my cities, I'm going to be put off...a lot.

Will I go to war because of it, perhaps...depends on the circumstances. It'll definitely push me in that direction.

But I'd be surprised if you guys DIDN'T use that tactic. I mean, you HAVE to, don't you?

:evilgrin"
Old October 22, 2002, 13:32   #138
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

You know, I feel like I'm at the U.N.

All the posturing is starting and we don't even HAVE the game yet.

Cheers, Trip...I like your resolve.
Old October 22, 2002, 13:32   #139
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Buster13
But I'd be surprised if you guys DIDN'T use that tactic. I mean, you HAVE to, don't you?
You'll find out...maybe

No, really...I'm not sure if I'm going to use spies...not that I don't want to, but because I proberbly forget...since I never use them against AI...
Old October 22, 2002, 14:17   #140
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Though we can agree major changes as far as mods won't be a good idea, there's a couple minor things that we could hammer out if we wanted to:

Aircraft Range

Hit Points

Lethal Bombardment

Espionage Costs

Also, have we decided upon a difficultly level? While it won't affect the AI (since there won't be one), it will affect happiness, corruption, etc.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:00   #141
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
Though we can agree major changes as far as mods won't be a good idea, there's a couple minor things that we could hammer out if we wanted to:

Aircraft Range

Hit Points

Lethal Bombardment

Espionage Costs

Also, have we decided upon a difficultly level? While it won't affect the AI (since there won't be one), it will affect happiness, corruption, etc.
I'm going to vote for Regent, since it's the base level. Otherwise I say don't change anything. Yes, lethal bombandment makes more sense, and it was one of the big things I miss coming from CTP. Aircraft range is ok, I don't want to mess with Hit Points, and I admit I haven't engaged in much espionage vs. the AI, so I don't know how cheap or expensive it is.

Although I still like my idea about the super-scout...

Old October 22, 2002, 16:16   #142
Jon Shafer

Espionage is insanely expensive.

Do you really think all aircraft with a range of 6 is okay? I'd think that we ought to at least increase the range on the stealth aircraft. That and giving aircraft lethal bombardment is all I really want. Stealth aircraft range of 12, and aircraft lethal bombardment.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:20   #143
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:15
Whatever you want. It's ages since I played a game that got as far as aircraft, so I don't really have any opinion on it.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:30   #144
Buster13
Civilization III PBEM
Chieftain

I'll try it tonight and let you know what I think tomorrow.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:44   #145
WarpStorm
King

In one of the chats Mike (or was it Barry) said that range on bombers and stealth are being increased by default for PTW. You may want to see what values they finalized on. (8 for bombers & 12 for stealth, I'd hope)
Old October 22, 2002, 16:50   #146
Jon Shafer

Hmmm... I'd hope so, but we'll have to see. I definitely think that aircraft lethal bombardment is a must though.

It's also unfortunate that gunpowder is such a waste... Musketmen are twice as much for 1 extra defense point... but we aren't changing unit values. I used to remember in Civ 2 when gunpowder was something you raced to because it was so cool.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:59   #147
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Even if air range isn't changed, the airbase will make it seem as the range issue has been dealt with. But like Warpstorm said, they are gonna increase it anyway.

Wait I thought they were rerolling all the unit stats from scratch. You sure they are keeping it the same?
Old October 22, 2002, 17:01   #148
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Wait I thought they were rerolling all the unit stats from scratch. You sure they are keeping it the same?
Where did you hear that?
Old October 22, 2002, 17:03   #149
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

dunno cant pinpoint the source exactly. I heard it somewhere and I believed it to be true. Im not 100% on that tho

Going back to PBEM...

How do you guys tackle the problem of taking turns in PBEM? Is there a deadline for turn submission? My friends and I play a 24 hr deadline deal with 7 players when we play civ like game in PBEM. That way everyone has their special day in a week to do their turn and game pace is nice and slow. Just wondering if any of you people have some sort of a systematic approach or just wait untill whoever is next is done.
Old October 22, 2002, 17:06   #150
Jon Shafer

That's odd, I haven't heard that once yet, until now.