Old October 12, 2002, 15:26   #1
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Happy Birthday WesW!
Well, I know that usually this kind of thread would have to be in the OT forum, but since most of the habituees around here rarely post in the OT, I decided to open it here. If Locutus think that this is not the place for it, he can act accordingly.

Anyway, I just wanted to say "Happy Birthday" to the modder that gave us a lot of fun and who helped to resurrect CTP2 from the dead.

Cheers, man!

Feliz Aniversário!
Old October 12, 2002, 16:55   #2
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:17
Happy Birthday Wes.

And many happy returns.

And as Alexnm started it, to say it in his language, here is it in my language:

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum Geburtstag, Wes.

-Martin
Old October 12, 2002, 16:59   #3
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 10:17
I dont think Wes will see this, dont think he visits these boards anymore

Anyway happy birthday Wes
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old October 12, 2002, 18:13   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Happy birthday Wes
Old October 12, 2002, 19:41   #5
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:17
Happy Birthday!

Last edited by Turambar; October 13, 2002 at 14:31.
Old October 12, 2002, 23:33   #6
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Happy Birthday, WesW

I know you havent been here often anymore but i wish a big happy birthday for the guy who made me love CTP2. And i want to share this special moment for me as you see in this thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=5165

obrigado e Feliz Anivérsario, Wes!

PS: I am 33 minutes late I hope you dont get mad
-Jean Rostand

Last edited by Pedrunn; October 13, 2002 at 00:41.
Old October 14, 2002, 07:38   #7
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

I hope you are well, and many happy returns

'Penbloywth Happis' in badly spelt welsh , or Happy Birthday if you prefer!

We all Wes alot of thanks for the work he did on this game, and i hope maybe he checks here from time to time.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old October 14, 2002, 17:20   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:17
Happy (belated) Birthday Wes!
Old October 15, 2002, 09:07   #9
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Alsnog van Harte Gefeliciteerd, Wes!

A Belated Happy Birthday, Wes!

And a lot of strength as well...
Old October 15, 2002, 19:07   #10
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
Happy b'day Wes! Hope everything's fine.
Old October 15, 2002, 21:43   #11
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 04:17
Happy b-day!!! We miss your insight here...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 30, 2002, 17:04   #12
Pedrunn
King

*bump*

I guess WesW doenst even check the forums anymore
-Jean Rostand
Old October 30, 2002, 17:08   #13
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:17
Well, it's the thought that counts.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:20   #14
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
I guess WesW doenst even check the forums anymore
Unfortunatly he can't do it even if he want it.

But fortunatly he does check his PMs.

-Martin
Old October 31, 2002, 08:13   #15
Pedrunn
King

Thats nice to hear
-Jean Rostand
Old October 31, 2002, 19:40   #16
Gazablanca
Chieftain

All the best Wes...
Old November 8, 2002, 16:20   #17
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 03:17
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate this, especially as I have been kind of isolated these last few months. I just found out about this thread from an email Peter sent me, or I would have tried to visit sooner.
As some of you know, I have some rather severe chronic health problems, the most prominent feature of which is chronic and often severe pain. This is why I have so much time to spent on modding these games. I normally don't don't talk about it much in "public" like this, but I guess I ought to explain why I have disappeared from the forums with the modpack unfinished, especially since there are so many people here who care about me personally, and not just about what I helped create.
Modding is something that I can normally do even when I am feeling under the weather, and I have found that I have somewhat of a talent for attracting and organizing other people who want to modify these games, and thus have the Medmod Packs been born. Early this year, though, the stress of trying to stay in school with my health problems finally caused my body to have a kind of nervous breakdown. I didn't know what was happening at first; I just felt exhausted all the time, I started feeling more and more depressed, and then I started developing new kinds of health problems. All this developed from about February to June. Add to this the fact that this summer and fall the new doctors I was seeing for my chronic condition kept prescribing medications whose side effects were very debilitating and/or painful. Let's just say that I have been going through a roughly monthly cycle that has been horrific by most anyone's standards.
I am not sure if my situation has improved all that much since then, but it does seem to have stabilized, and I will keep fighting and making medication adjustments as I always do. Knowing that there are people out there thinking about me means a lot while I am here at my patent's house recovering. It looks like it will be at least a year before I am able to go back to try and finish my degree (only 5 more classes!), so if I get the itch you may run across the Medieval Mod name again somewhere else on the internet.
Edit: Actually, you may see it again very soon, depending upon what you have in your library- see below.

As far as my modding efforts, all this means that it is hard for me to get involved in anything, unless it is a game I am really currently enthused about (writing this email is really sapping me of strength). I may have found such a game, however, called Medieval: Total War. (Isn't it great they named a game after my mod?) I have spent the last six weeks playing the game, and they just released the first patch for it, so I picked this time to make my first thorough study of the settings.
As far as I know, players don't have access to any of the AI files, or even anything like the const.txt, but you never know what may happen.
Getting back on topic, I just have no interest in returning to Ctp2, at least not now. I think the only thing I didn't finish with the Medpack was the building support costs for the new costing method, and this is something that most anyone here could probably do; all it takes is some a good knowledge of how much gold "should" be available if the player conducts his economy properly, and then playing the game a lot and making gradual adjustments until the money flows properly.
To Hex and all the other modmakers out there- you have complete permission to use anything in the Medpack for your own creations. And this includes modifying files and settings to your own tastes as well. Just be courteous and note where the files originally came from, like I did with my acknowledgements page, and also state when you changed things, so that I don't get emails asking me to debug something that I didn't mess up. My aim in creating the Medpacks has always been to give the greatest amount of enjoyment to the greatest number of people. At one time I had visions of multiple versions of the Medpacks posted at my site here, where people had taken the original and added to or otherwise modified it to their own tastes, and released it as "Joe Cool's Medpack for Anarchists" or some such, but people seem to think that this stuff is copyrighted, and that I might look at it as sullying the Medmod name if they did something that I didn't give express permission for. I guess I should take it as a compliment that people hold the Medmods (both I and II) in such high regard, and I do, and I am very proud of what we accomplished, but sometimes I wished more people had tried their hand at putting their own touches on our work. It may well be that their touches would have been an improvement, and would have been incorporated into the "official" version.
Anyway, I guess I got a little off subject again, but thanks once more for the birthday wishes, and best wishes to the guys who I assume are still working on the Cradle mod.
If you see me on any forums in the near future, it will probably be the Total War forums, either the .com or .org sites, though I might stop by here occasionally to check on the MOO3 news.
Old November 8, 2002, 17:02   #18
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:17
Old November 8, 2002, 17:19   #19
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

It's great to hear from you Wes, even if its not such great news
I hope you make a swift recovery as well as you can, and complete your degree. We're all thinking of you.

I keep hearing good things about Med: Total War. Maybe I should get it...
Old November 9, 2002, 06:04   #20
Pedrunn
King

WesW, i did not know neither about this dream of yours nor that your site was open to MM2-based mods!
But all my modding used to have your mods as basis. You can even see a unfinished mod in the Hexagonia website that has your medmod as basis.
-Jean Rostand
Old November 9, 2002, 08:35   #21
Pedrunn
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WesW
Getting back on topic, I just have no interest in returning to Ctp2, at least not now.
Not even for a democracy game? Take a look in the CTP2 democarcy game forum and join us.
It will be fun for sure!
-Jean Rostand
Old November 10, 2002, 06:58   #22
child of Thor
Emperor

I'll probably see you in the Medieval forums then - hope you get well soon mate
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Old November 10, 2002, 10:27   #23
Alex
Emperor

I'm happy to see you, Wes! Hope you get well soon and that you can return to this community in the future, maybe to enjoy the fruits of the work you started with the Medmod.

Old November 23, 2002, 04:01   #24
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Thanks for the kind words guys. And partially because of those words........I'm baaaaaaaaaack!!! (though in another game)
See my webpage if you want to join in the fun (and it is some fun). I have *never* seen an AI that performs the way this one does in the patched Total War now out. To make a long story short, I have played the game for about six weeks solid, scoured the websites for tidbits from the strategy guide, and used everything that I have amassed on my own about medieval warfare, and the AI still consistently matches or outperforms me tactically on the battlefield. If I win now, it is generally because I am defending and/or have superior troops. And to this that all the factors that are taken into account on the battlefield make it, in the words of all the reviews I read, by far the most realistic game of its type ever released.
Old November 23, 2002, 16:55   #25
child of Thor
Emperor

I'm having a hard time trying to decide if Med Total War is really great or just great. The real-time battles are(and were in shogun) what really make it unique and fun, say compared to EU2. But after playing shogun and mongol invaision to death(and loving them), there is a part of me finding Medieval slightly unsatisfying in comparison and i can't tell why? It's got more to it, the setting is great, it's a challange(the patch makes the battles much more so), it made me really laugh when i had my first mis-fit heir. Loads of good things and yet it hasn't impacted on me quite like shogun did.
Still i'm only playing it and CTP2 at the momment, so maybe i'll get to appriciate it more(and as more patches come out).
Maybe it's good for you having spent a lot of time and energy in CTP to try something different? How moddable is it do you think - i see the odd thread but it mostly seems to be text file alterations?
Still it's good to see you back and CTP2 seems to go on and on, i'm trying Hex's latest Cradle 1.3b and having a good time

Old November 23, 2002, 20:18   #26
WesW
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

I have started a thread about the mod over at the .com site. Players don't have access to any of the Battle AI, as far as I know, so that means that it is not nearly as moddable as Ctp, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
I mean, we only need access to those things that are messed up, and in Total War the designers seem to have gotten most of the game right.