Old October 13, 2002, 08:11   #1
Osito de Felpa
Settler

Local Time: 09:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Can someone help me with roaming tribes
Playing at a mere warlord level with roaming tribes, I find I have to devote almost all my resources to dealing with the tribes. They only send one at a time, but there are a ton of villages around, so there is a lot to deal with. I could just set it to sedentary, while I learn how to handle it, but I just wondered if it's supposed to be like this.

I'm new to CIV III, but I played CIV1&2 and don't recall a problem like this
Osito de Felpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 09:44   #2
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 04:18
Barbs are more of a trouble in civ3 than in previous games. I've found they're also more trouble with 1.29 than earlier versions so I'd say the answer is "its supposed to be like this".

Read the barb threads and you'll get the tactics for dealing with them. I guess the chief two are to keep areas not within a civ under surveillance for barb forts that pop up from the sea, and to kill them ASAP. After a short while the barb forts spawn horsemen and then hordes of horsemen.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 11:23   #3
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 01:18
You have to be doing something wrong if barbarians are such a problem on warlord. Either that or you have a very weird game going.

On Warlord you have a large bonus versus barbarians. You should rarely loose a unit except for when the Raging Hordes hit and those only happen after the a second civ hits a new era. Usually the barbarians are all gone by the end of the Middle Ages so you usually on only get raging hordes just the once.

Barbarians are spawned by encampments and you get 25 GP for each encampment you plunder which can be a big help in the early going. Just don't let the things sit because they will spawn units as long as they are there. Send a unit out, usually a warrior is enough with your warlord bonus, and make 25 GP.

Most likely you aren't developing as fast as you need to for this to be such a big problem. Use your workers wisely, don't have them improving tiles you aren't using except to make roads between your cities. Make sure you build enough workers. Build cities and build them fast early on at least till you either run out of room or get the message that you can build the Forbidden Palace. Once all the land in your area is visible there will be no more barbarian encampments started.
Ethelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 11:25   #4
Osito de Felpa
Settler

Thanks for the help. I think I found what the problem is. I was playing on a downloaded real world map and it seems to have loads of barbarian outposts on them. I edited them down a bit and it's OK now.
Osito de Felpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 19:32   #5
Raion
Prince

I started a game on Warlord. I was playing on Regent.
The barbarians are more on Warlord, why I do not know.

Like the level of barbarians one would set in the initial screen start of the game, up one level.

It is different and I need more troops to keep them at bay.

Tis true, tis true.

The levels at the start of the game are the same.

All I can say is that there are more barbarians with Warlord in my game then there is with Regent game I playing.
Raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2002, 20:10   #6
Ethelred
King

Local Time: 01:18
Raion, its likely that you have your warlord set to rageing barbarians and the regent game set to roaming or even sedentary. The number of wandering barbarians is a seperate setting from the difficulty level.
Ethelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2002, 11:26   #7
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

I've had a couple of games on 1.29 with large barbarian hordes, about 20 + horsemen come from a camp ,
this is triggered by somone entering the Middle Ages and then I think the next person to enter middle ages gets a Barbarian Horde attack.

I deal with these hordes by letting them ransack one of my cities, making sure I don't have much money left for looting /stealing (I spend it on embassys or buy from other civs/rush buy) they will probably destroy the production in that city though. I make sure no units are defending the city, as they will be destroyed unless their super strong.

It would be better to fight hordes, but you'd need about 6 horsemen, ideally horsemen or pikemen army(attack 2) They would give you some useful combat experience.

Hordes always come from a barbarian camp.. and theres often time to prepare, as the computer gives a message 'barbarian uprising at *city name* '

Barbarians can't conquer cities unlike civ2, which is a bonus.

In my mod i've made barbarian native raiders as - attack3 def2, move 3 bombard 2!
and the player can build them too with monotheism (their native horseraiders, so missionaries convert them and allow you to use them for yourself)
Admiral PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2002, 08:52   #8
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral PJ

Barbarians can't conquer cities unlike civ2, which is a bonus.
Its a bonus to us in that we can use 'cheats' to negate their effect but barbs should destroy civ cities if they cant capture them.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2002, 11:15   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:18
Quote:
I've had a couple of games on 1.29 with large barbarian hordes, about 20 + horsemen come from a camp ,
this is triggered by somone entering the Middle Ages and then I think the next person to enter middle ages gets a Barbarian Horde attack.
to be correct: it's trggered by the [color=red]second[/size] civ to enter a next age( can also happen when entering modern, but by then , everything is more or less covered, so there is no room anymore for the barbs)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2002, 16:37   #10
Augustus Ceaser
Settler

SpencerH,
You say that if the barbarians cannot capture a city they should destroy it, and that anything otherwise is a "cheat". I disagree. Think of Viking raiding parties that use to harass the northern coasts of Europe. They rarely ever concurred the "city" (town, village, encampment, etc. . .) that they attacked, and the city would often survive the raid. The Vikings came in, "sacked" the town, took what they wanted, then left. I think the fact that the barbarians don't destroy a city is realistic. HOWEVER, I think it would be even more realistic if sometimes they did destroy it, and sometimes they didn't. Also, anyone who attacks a city and conquers it, isn't a barbarian, they're another civilization.
Augustus Ceaser is offline   Reply With Quote