Old October 13, 2002, 23:10   #1
Yolky
Prince

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maximum Population??? Proper spacing cities
I just started playing CtP2 again and can't remeber what is the max size a city can be. I keep remebering reading somewhere that it was 60.

I tried with the editor once around 100 and the city still survived, but can it be done without cheating?

I am starting a new game and want to know what my spacing should be. I always space my cities 10 squares apart so my cites can use the maxium space and not overlap. But if I can't get more than 60 i will space them less like 3 or 4 apart, or the X patter ala Civ2.

So my 2 questions are what is the max population possible and what is the best spacing between cities be?

Davor
Old October 13, 2002, 23:29   #2
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:19
I just space them in a symmetrial fashion so they get to expand once, at size 7 to18. If its on particularly good food tiles (lots of grasslands with a river) then ill give it more room to grow. Usually though a city hardly ever expands more than twice before the game is over, unless its heavily "slave-fed", which i like to do also

And any city upto size 18 can usually produce any units or buildings upto the modern era with sufficient regularity, which is when before hopefully the game will end.

I never grew a city beyond around 45, my games never go further than the modern era, at the very most. Thats the unmodded game anyway.

Im not really sure about the maximum size, but the happiness must have been a killer in a size 100 city.
Old October 14, 2002, 12:30   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 11:19
The problem with allowing to have the maximum space is that the city don't use the space for the main part of the game. In the unmodded game the max city size is 60, but you don't need the maximum space that can a city cover to collect all the necessary amount of food gold and commerce, so a smaller distance then 10 is also fine.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Maquiladora
Im not really sure about the maximum size, but the happiness must have been a killer in a size 100 city.[QUOTE]

Actual it wouldn't a problem, because you can only use 60 field workers (of course this could be modded too), so you have to do something with other 40 pops, so you have enough people in your city that can be turned into entertainers.

-Martin