Old October 14, 2002, 07:14   #1
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 10:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Rate of fire???
This might be a stupid question but what exactly is meant by Rate of Fire with respect to units that can bombard?

I would think that it means that one can fire 1, 2 or 3 times per round but this is clearly not the case since in practice artillery and ships only fire one time per round.

And how can I set it so that my artillery placed in cities bombards attacking units? It used to be automatic, now it doesn't happen at all (when set to fortify, sleep or nothing).
Old October 14, 2002, 08:03   #2
Der PH
Warlord

Local Time: 10:20
Rate of fire indicates the maximum loss of hitpoints of the bombarded unit.
Old October 14, 2002, 08:08   #3
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:20
Re: Rate of fire???
Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
This might be a stupid question but what exactly is meant by Rate of Fire with respect to units that can bombard?
I would think that it means that one can fire 1, 2 or 3 times per round but this is clearly not the case since in practice artillery and ships only fire one time per round.
I really not sure, but I think is how many hp the bombard unit is able to inflict damage in a unit in one attack.
I think there's some thread in help section, talking about this.

Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
And how can I set it so that my artillery placed in cities bombards attacking units? It used to be automatic, now it doesn't happen at all (when set to fortify, sleep or nothing).
A bombard unit fortified in one city will automatic bombard an attacking unit when this unit start the attack on the city. You have only one shot per artillery (or any other land bombard unit) fortified int the city. So, if you have one artillery fortified, and the city is attacked by two units, only the first one will be bombarded.
Old October 14, 2002, 11:20   #4
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 05:20
Rate of fire is the number of times a bombard unit actually attacks each time you see it fire. Each of these times, it can do 1HP damage or no damage at all. So if you get lucky, your bombard unit does HP damage equal to its ROF.

There was a thread in the strategy forum a while back, that explained in more detail.
Old October 14, 2002, 22:58   #5
JohnM2433
Warlord

Local Time: 01:20
Yes, a bombard unit can only fire once per turn. Not only does that mean that a land bombard unit can only defend against one unit, but it cannot defend at all if it attacked that turn (I think).

If you want bombard units to defend against more than one unit in a single city, you will need one for each unit you wish to defend against. They always fire at the units in the order in which they attack, so x bombarders will fire at the first x attackers when they are defending.