I can't read. 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 14, 2002, 07:32   #1
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Lonely World Scenario
Not really a scenario, just a map with no ocean. It has some large lakes though!

I made this map for my graphic mod, just trying to see what I could get out of it really.

There are a few changes in this map:

Resources:
Stone
Hard wood
Rice

There are new buildings, I'm not gonna get into it, because it'll take me forever to explain it all. Besides, it's not that hard to learn, one thing I should tell you is that you NEED wood and stone to succeed in this game, once you've got them you will also need to build a stone cutter and lumber mill (cheap as a warrior). Once you've built them you can build barracks, temple, etc. Just think logically; so for example, if you wanted to build a palace, temple, wall, great wall, etc, then you'd need stone and a stone cutter, for barracks and harbor you need hard wood and lumber mill. Some buildings do require both stone and wood, like the cathedral.

This game starts with 12 players (you included). EVERYONE begins on a mountain or hill. This way the civ has to move off, and you better hope you find the best place. The land in this game is very resourceful and properly made (none of that auto-generate crap). You will notice forest is everywhere - much like it was before we started cuttin it down! But there are places where its very barren.

In this game you are Babylon, the difficulty is warlord and all victory options are on. There are no barbarian raids, except for the camps that are already there. Everyone starts with a settler, worker and warrior.

Last note: I made this for myself, I wasn't planning on releasing it, so if you find that I haven't given enough info, or it's not a great scenario, don't expect me to care about it.

But mind you, this was one of the most interesting games I have ever played in my 12 years of Civ, I never expected it to be this good. It is as if every event in the game was just as interesting as the large events in the real world, and you really feel a part of it. I hope that the same experiences face you if you play this game.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip lonelyworld.zip (178.9 KB, 29 views)
FrostyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2002, 07:37   #2
FrostyBoy
Emperor

oh and PLEASE back up your stuff! (resources and civilopedia)

this was made with the latest patch btw
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	26932  
Old October 14, 2002, 07:39   #3
FrostyBoy
Emperor

And if you want the graphic mod pack, you should go here:

http://www.civfanatics.net/files/civ...tion=file&id=1
Old October 14, 2002, 14:21   #4
MoonWolf
Prince

Local Time: 10:20
I love your terrainmod, so I'll give this one a try as well! Were in the civiliopdia have you done changes? Mine is already changed with an other mod and I wish to keep this...
MoonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2002, 14:27   #5
MoonWolf
Prince

...and text and probably pictures for the new buildings are needed. Just got an error message loading the scenario...
Old October 14, 2002, 19:33   #6
FrostyBoy
Emperor

I had no problems with it

what message came up?
Old October 15, 2002, 12:52   #7
MoonWolf
Prince

This error message

"error reading file

Missing entry in "text\pediaicons.txt": ICON_BLDG_Lumber_Mill"
Old October 16, 2002, 03:04   #8
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Just in case I didn't upload the pediaicons text file, I'll upload it again (sorry)

btw, just a note, I didn't create any icons for the buildings so the buildings use the 'wealth icon' instead.
Attached Files:
File Type: txt pediaicons.txt (61.1 KB, 9 views)
Old October 16, 2002, 08:38   #9
MoonWolf
Prince

Thanks, I'll try it when I'm at my home computer again!

Have you tried to open the city view with the new buildings? I would assume the game crash... (not that I need the city view, I'm just a curious person!)
Old October 16, 2002, 11:53   #10
MoonWolf
Prince

So far, so good! Interesting that I have to research some basics!
Old October 16, 2002, 17:47   #11
MoonWolf
Prince

Great map! But, (there is always a but, isn't it?) it hangs... It's like civ3 is doing some kind of hard calculation as it takes all my cpu-power and remains so...

Can you or someone else try it? Want to make sure if it's my computer or not... I post the save game here. Just press enter and your comuter should hang... (solution in Win2K/XP: Press ctrl-shift-esc and terminate the process or give it lower priority)
Attached Files:
File Type: sav cpu_stealer.sav (243.7 KB, 2 views)
Old October 16, 2002, 19:01   #12
FrostyBoy
Emperor

It doesn't hang on me when I go to the view.

what are your computer specs? the game does get heavy, you should be on a 450 at least with 128RAM (especially on WinXP or 2K)

I would like to know also if others are having problems.

I have this other map I want to release, it's on huge, regent and all players. Yep, it's slow as Bush. But it's really good.
Old October 17, 2002, 02:13   #13
MoonWolf
Prince

My computer has high enough specs... XP1800, 512MB RAM (1GB actually, but 512MB is out as I do some troubleshooting on my machine) Abit KR7A motherboard, GeForce3 and my OS, win2K, and games are running on SCSI-drive.

It's not the view that hangs it this time; it's something during the AI turns. I have some problems with my computer currently, so it might be only mine, the hanging was just not typical for the other problems I have...

Post your map! Even if it's will be as slow as Bush would play!(maybe he should, maybe he can solve wars there instead or maybe he get some new freakin' ideas, but that's an other discussion...) What I've seen so far from you is nice
Old October 17, 2002, 03:14   #14
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Okay, I'm just fine tuning it then I'll release it later (2 hours time maybe)
Old October 17, 2002, 08:29   #15
FrostyBoy
Emperor

EDIT::: I've changed the bic file a bit. there was a mistake. I had it so that player 1 (human player) started in the same place each time. (sorry!) It's fixed and I also added rivers to where it was too hard to survive from.

btw, I was wondering if this map would work well for multiplayer?

-----------------------------------------

I've reuploaded the zip file. If you were one of the first 4 to download, you will have the old one.

Lonely World 2

No Barbarians
No Oceans, just some lakes.
Huge land
Resources: stone, wood
Any difficulty
Max of 16 civs.
English are the only ones who can build the longbowman (in replacement of the Man-O-War). It's easier to build and it has a bombard range and strength of 1.
All tree's (except jungles) have a movement cost of 1 (like grassland).
You need Stone and Wood in order to build a settler. Settlers also cost a little bit more.
Palace, Pyramids, The Lighthouse, Great Library, The Great Wall, Newtons Unversity and Hoover dam all need Stone.
JS Bachs needs Stone AND hard wood.
New Govt: Utopia: Better than Democracy and allows war easily. Requires Genetics.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip lonelyworld2.zip (128.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Sn00py; October 17, 2002 at 20:45.
Old October 17, 2002, 08:39   #16
FrostyBoy
Emperor

The reason I made this one harder to build settlers is because I wanted to slow down the process of settling cities straight away - I am the kind of guy who likes to add realism because that's what I like in gameplay. The way it is set normaly is too unrealistic. By the year 2000BC there is already a fairly large civilization with either a strong army or economy and well on its way to knowing most of the world.

Anyway, I played the game to 50ad, and I discovered that it worked really well. You will notice that not everyone will take off straight away. If there were 16 Civs, only 6 of them would take off early in the game. The others would struggle a bit (trying to find wood and stone by using colonies - this is really the only way to do it.) Once you've got those two resources you can start producing settlers.

By the time it reached about 0AD, every civ except two had managed to pull its self out of that struggle stage and become a civilization that can defend itself. The other 2 were struggling in the desert. But I kept a close eye on them to see how they were coping, and the AI does seem to try and build colonies in far off places with very long roads back to the capital (funny really, its as if I tortured them).

Rather than everyone having a fair go STRAIGHT AWAY! you end up with a really good diverse set of Civs, ones that are strong, ones that are weak, ones that are in between; and you just don't know what's going to happen next. This really made the game very interesting, things constantly changed, rather than "Oh, they're gonna be one of the big guys at the end of the game."

And rightly so, because the romans were the big ones, and are they today? no, and that's how this game will play too.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	lonelyworld2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	27167  
Old October 17, 2002, 08:44   #17
FrostyBoy
Emperor

btw this one has desert mountains

(sorry about the grass at the bottom of it, the base terrain of the mountains is grass so I had to merge it in (sigh))
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	desertmountains.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	27168  
Old October 18, 2002, 00:39   #18
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:20
sn00py:

Interesting game. I've played 1 through about 500ad. Wow. Pretty cool. It certainly makes the beginning more difficult. I was taking a bit of a whooping on Warlord, , but now am pulling even due to some warfare.

Good job! A nice and interesting change of pace.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2002, 00:50   #19
FrostyBoy
Emperor

yeah! cool! glad you like.
Old October 18, 2002, 19:13   #20
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Comments, LW1

Was a little confused about what each building did at first. Are you going to put something in the pedia about it?

What does rice do? Luxury?

Does wheat count as a luxury? it shows up as spice on the city menu?

The cultural levels make expansion speed up-I know you did this for the 1 pt. butcher shop, but when I start getting temples, they start expanding rapidly.

Other than that, great game I do see the civs moving at different paces in this one, moreso than the usual game. I am also behind! On Warlord! ouch.
Old October 18, 2002, 20:18   #21
FrostyBoy
Emperor

now you know why I made it warlord

I think rice is a luxury, can't remember, but it does give you 1 food and I think 1 commerce, also, you need it in order to build a hawker.

I wondered why I had two spices in the city screen, lol. well, I dunno why, oh well.

I wanted expansion to speed up more coz the land is so big.
Old October 18, 2002, 20:34   #22
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
now you know why I made it warlord

I think rice is a luxury, can't remember, but it does give you 1 food and I think 1 commerce, also, you need it in order to build a hawker.

Hawker, eh? Will have to see what that does.

Yes, this is pretty challenging on Warlord, would hate to see on monarch and up!.
Old October 20, 2002, 16:28   #23
FrantzX
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Warlord

It's there a way to crop the map or something? It's just too damn big for my computer to handle.
FrantzX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2002, 19:44   #24
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Lonely World 2 is massive, but the first Lonely World is standard map, you should play that one if your computer is crying.
Old October 21, 2002, 09:31   #25
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Very nice and realistic map, Snoopy. I played it a couple of turns (about half of the ancient age) and have a few notes about the scenario:
  1. The map is ways too big. A huge map has 160x160/2 = 12800 tiles. Divided by 21 (the full area of a city), we get space for 610 cities. In fact even more, because the AIs build more dense. That is more than the game can handle (512) and will slow down the game even on good computers in the end game. Btw, it concerns also the tech rate, see the problems with it on Marla's. The lakes practically don't count, as the city radii will overlap over the water. The huge map size (good for 16 civs) was calculated to have about 2/3 water, so the land area available for the civs is only about 4000 tiles. A standard map (100x100/2 = 5000 tiles) suffices for 16 civs on a 100% land map.
  2. The stone and hardwood resources are nice to have, even very, but pointless if everybody has plenty of them. I counted about 10 of both within about a 10 tile radius around my start point. The other civs had a similar excess, at least as far as I saw them in this stage of game.
  3. The map is ways too rich of strategic and luxury resources. The fight for resources, one of the main aspects of the original game, is completely lost.
  4. Since building a settler requires The Wheel now, the Japanese have an unfair advantage, because they are the only civ able to build settlers from the start (mind you that stone and wood aren't scarce). You should drop that prerequisite matter for settlers (as they are crucial units), because whatever you choose will favor a certain amount of civs. Better make them cost even more, like 5 or 6.
I'd like to see a few of these points addressed and am sure I would enjoy the scenario even more.

PS (edit): What about letting all land units cost 1 pop point, as additional slow-down? It would also prevent the civs from conquering the map with huge armies, because such a mobilization would cost a hell of pop points.

Last edited by Sir Ralph; October 21, 2002 at 09:45.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2002, 17:05   #26
FrostyBoy
Emperor

I'm over half way through the game, and everyone is slowly expanding, except for two civs, which are just going slightly faster.

Needing Wood and Stone does make it harder, because when you build a new city and it's not connected to a road, you end up having to do all this work just to get this new city ready to build its own settlers.

Because there are so many civs in the game, the land will be covered fairly. (if it even manages to reach that stage).

There are lots of resources, but because there are so many civs, it hasn't been that easy to get all the resources. Infact, so far I have only managed to secure half the luxury and half the strategic resources. I have to trade to get everyone elses. Which means you have to build huge roads to link up to other civs.

Also, near the end, oil is only found in two places. If you start where there is plenty of good land then you will probably miss out on oil, forcing you to go to war, send settlers miles and miles away from your civ, or trading for it.

btw, I've played a map this large before and it doesn't slow down much on me. (Prolly have to wait about 10-15 seconds each turn). But things are constantly happening during that turn so it's not really noticable.

I learned that it's not the amount of civs you have in the game that makes it slow, it's the amount of units the computer has to move each turn that makes it slow! When PtW is released, I'm going to make one more lonely world map, and it will have all the other civs in it aswell.

These last two lonely worlds aren't perfect, I know.. It takes a long time just to play-test it once. So I just play a bit of it and then flag the rest. It's a game that works, and that's all that mattered to me; I wasn't trying to make it perfect. But I will try a lot harder the 3rd time round. These two maps are my first ever maps and my first ever rules editing (in civ3), so I'm still in a learning curve stage