Old October 14, 2002, 18:49   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How do I plant a spy in a city?
I built the building that you can build when you discover espionage. I have embassy's. I am missing something

In the espionage button in the bottome right the only 2 options I get are investigate city, and steal technology.

I was messing around running up the score when I accidently let the other civ launch their spaceship. I thought I would get some warning. There is a button to view other civs spaceship progress, but it says I need a spy in their city to do this.

Help please!

Thanks for your help.
Old October 14, 2002, 18:53   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Right click on the city where you have built you intelligence agency and click on espionage from the menu a screen comes up and you choose the civ you want to plant a spy with be careful though it doesnt always work and if you are detected they sometimes declare war.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 14, 2002, 18:55   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Thanks. I knew it was in some funky place. Like clicking on the star by your capitol city name to set up embassies.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of crack the programmers took in making this game.
Old October 14, 2002, 18:56   #4
Destroyer
Prince

Local Time: 09:22
Spys are an afterthought. I have never once sucessfulyl planted one, but it looks as if PTW may fix this to some degree.
Old October 14, 2002, 19:00   #5
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I just loaded my winning save game and successfully planted the spy on the first attempt. Maybe I was just lucky.

As I already knew England was 9 (1 in progress)/10 in their space ship progress. That was all I needed to know.
Old October 15, 2002, 03:30   #6
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I just loaded my winning save game and successfully planted the spy on the first attempt. Maybe I was just lucky.
This depends - besides luck, of course - a lot on how well you do in terms of culture. If your culture is much higher than that of the civ you want to plant your spy with, then chances are you will succeed. Also, being in communism increases the possibility of successfully planting spies.
Old October 15, 2002, 03:59   #7
Roadrunner
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
Right click on the city where you have built you intelligence agency and click on espionage from the menu a screen comes up and you choose the civ you want to plant a spy with be careful though it doesnt always work and if you are detected they sometimes declare war.
Or just doubleclick the pentagran byside the cityname like you do it with the embassies.
Old October 15, 2002, 05:41   #8
Lucarse
Warlord

Local Time: 09:22
Spies are really important, troop locations and the strength of forces are something which gives you a HUGE advantage over your opponent.

I think clicking in the city you built the Intelligence Agency to activate your spies makes sense,....you just need to know its there.... i would say RTFM but this is a case of TMFS 'the manual f**king sux'
Old October 15, 2002, 09:46   #9
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:22
I think with CTRL-E or SHIFT-E (don't remember exactly) you can acess the embassy-spy screen.

Quote:
Spies are really important, troop locations and the strength of forces are something which gives you a HUGE advantage over your opponent.
Yes, is a big advantage for human player, because the AI now the location of all troops from all other players, including others AI players, since the begin of game. The diference is the human player can do lot more global strategies with this information. The AI use it only to local strategy, deciding things like attack or not some city depending the number of units inside that city.
Old October 15, 2002, 13:04   #10
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

so exactly what do those troop location options do?

I tried doing the immediate one or whatever. I didn't have enough gold.

Does it show all their units?
Old October 15, 2002, 13:13   #11
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 06:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
so exactly what do those troop location options do?

I tried doing the immediate one or whatever. I didn't have enough gold.

Does it show all their units?
It shows all the units from the civ inside and outside the fog of war.
You can click in a enemy stack, in a city or not, and see all units of this stack, but I think is only with units outside of f.o.w.
Old October 15, 2002, 13:19   #12
MoonWolf
Prince

I used "troop location" once, and it lasted only one whole turn. But that was before the last patches, maybe it's changed now...

But knowing if your enemy has 10 or 100 mech. infanteries is great before you start attacking!