Old October 15, 2002, 01:59   #1
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Local Time: 09:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Use of PM's for Offical Goverment Business
It has come to my attention that there is a TREMENDOUS amount of work done via PM's at the govermental level. Code Name Vodka, "such a good deal" and the like are all good ideas. They were also never disscused with the population. Yes, two heads are better then one, but 30 heads are better then 2. If you think you have a good idea, go and make a post in the respective Governmental minister thread and hash it out with all. This is a Democracy Game. We should all have a say in things, even if it is a quick, "I agree".

Also, the use of PM's for governmental duties (of which I am guilty) makes for upsetting citizens who might have struck a deal with a Minister and then that deal falls through for some reason. The current example is the galleys to be made in Hole In The Wall. According to one person, a deal was made to have the city produce a western fleet. The Minister who agreed with that deal was unable to attend the turnchat and he assigned the duties to someone else. Since that someone else wasn't aware of the PM deal struck, he did not follow the deal. The mistake is no ones. The situation should have been throughly discussed in an Official Ministers (topped) thread. Yes, the Hole In the Wall situation was discussed publicly to a small degree, but was never decided upon openly.

I propose that Each Elected Minister set up an Official Office Thread (to be topped by our prOphEt) that is open for discussion of matters relating to that office. I also feel that this thread should start with an Office directory similar to the forum directory (ie: CP would have links to all provincial threads and links to other CP related discussions; MoS would have links to Area 25 and to Sci related discussions.).

I also belive that this will make the flow of information better and make it so a Minister of Information might not neccisarily be needed.

Please discuss.

(note: I am not saying never use PM's just don't do so much with them. Let other people know your Ideas.)
Old October 15, 2002, 02:13   #2
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 01:22
well put
Old October 15, 2002, 02:27   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:22
I must admit that I am also guilty of such demeanor. I have spoken with ministers via PM many times and I am currently sending my recommendations as overseas exploration advisor directly to Aggie.
However, I couldn't agree more with Donegeal's point. This is just as bad as the "shadow governments" that some party members have tried to impose on us. I for one intend to open an official overseas exploration thread after today's turnchat.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 11:05   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:22
Re: Use of PM's for Offical Goverment Business
Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
It has come to my attention that there is a TREMENDOUS amount of work done via PM's at the govermental level. Code Name Vodka, "such a good deal" and the like are all good ideas.
Code Name Vodka was discussed on no less than 5 threads for a period of 2 months.

Just to set the facts straight. Details of Vodka were virtually NEVER discussed by PM, almost exclusively done on threads.

The code name part was more a prank than anything else.
Old October 15, 2002, 11:13   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I am flat out against the topping of seven additional threads. Why?

Why does it need to be topped?
Is it so hard to use a thread and let it die when not being discussed?
Can we not use the appropriate forum for discussion: IE, the War Academy, Machiavelli Inst, Adam Smith Foundation, City Council, and whatever else is needed?
Why use a 1/4 of the front page for something needed occasionally?

WE HAVE ONE FORUM!

We don't need to clutter the front page with all these topped office threads when we can as easily simply open a discussion for whatever plan and then let the thread die. For that matter, you can open these office threads and let them be bumped when needed, and die when not. They are all linked to in the directory, and easily found that way. Why do we need these topped?!

Yes, get the discussion in the open, but do NOT top more than neccessary.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 15, 2002, 11:21   #6
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:22
A better idea would be to just post orders for everything in the orders thread. That is a simple thing that still isn't being done.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 15, 2002, 12:24   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with Unortho about not topping the threads... such matters should be discussed in threads rather than PMs, but we needn't top a bunch more threads... we have too many topped threads already (though part of that is the election).
Old October 15, 2002, 12:41   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Guilty.

Note, the recent problem with hole in the wall is not one of communicating via PM's, but a simple misunderstanding.

This is what I had agreed to:
1) move the city south to have access to the ocean and a wheat square
2) start on a temple, when some shields had been added and funds available, purchase (no time frame given, just when available)
3) PW was to try and send a worker from france area to connect to the road system, along with developing mines and what not. If not able to send one, we would build one here as soon as feasable and it would stay in this area til its max work was complete.
4) start on a harbor, to assist in growth and be able to build a western fleat. Harbor was to be purchased when funds became available, which might not be til after other locations had temples and/or courthouses rushed (such as new persia and uber isle).
5) After harbor, a decision was to be made if it was worth wild to build a small fleet, or to start on items such as a courthouse or cathedral. As this was several turns in the future with government change, american war, etc. to still occur, accurate predictions could not be made.

This was not discussed via PM, but in the last turnchat I had attended. As I was not using the Queue function, but simply posting orders for the next 5 turns, this problem arised as I have not been able to do the last 3 orders (my bad).

As E_T is scheduled to take over the CP position, I have already communicated to him that I will do a memo with what I had planned regarding such things as this, along with all agreements, etc, that I had made (all were public I think...., but best to jot them down in one place for reference). Hopefully the problem with my computer will get fixed in the next day or two.

GK

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 15, 2002, 16:50   #9
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Guilty.

Note, the recent problem with hole in the wall is not one of communicating via PM's, but a simple misunderstanding.

This is what I had agreed to:
1) move the city south to have access to the ocean and a wheat square
This was done before I had taken the last turnchat for GK.

Quote:
2) start on a temple, when some shields had been added and funds available, purchase (no time frame given, just when available)
When I did the Queue's, I had wondered about HIW building a Harbor. But because of several issues, one being financial for Rushes and also the proxcimity of the Roman city, I had desided to change it to Temple and rush that. HIW had expanded borders by the beginning of this turnchat (580AD) cycle.

Quote:
3) PW was to try and send a worker from france area to connect to the road system, along with developing mines and what not. If not able to send one, we would build one here as soon as feasable and it would stay in this area til its max work was complete.
I had then put a worker into the queue for two reasons, time and the impending war with France & the need to have the city Grow by having connected to our trade network via Rome. I had originally planned to rush this in 590AD for 20L. Funds were refused by the MoE for this, but after decussion during turnchat, The VP had decided to rush this in 580AD for 24L. HIW is now getting Luxes & Resouces

Quote:
4) start on a harbor, to assist in growth and be able to build a western fleat. Harbor was to be purchased when funds became available, which might not be til after other locations had temples and/or courthouses rushed (such as new persia and uber isle).
My original plan was to build a spearman/pikeman next, hoping to rush as a spearman before the trade network was up and therby reduse the cost. HIW is currently behind enemy lines (will be) and I've PMed the SMC about how we can possibly get some
additional forces there. The defencive unit was incase actual timing of events didn't work out. Also the SMC had requested having 2 Mil units for each border city.

As DFM for Trade, there have been some thread discussions that I haven't been a part of, either for time constraints or interest. Some of them, because of the titles, I haven't even read. I remember seeing a thread about needing more ships, but never even opened it to see what it was about. I'm figuring here that some of the discussions that GhengisFarb have allured to are in that thread.

HIW has been changed to Harbor. Rushing it will be depending on the Funds request to the MoE. There are a lot of our cities that are in near catastrophic corruption/waste and with us in Republic and needing funds to help increase our Technology Research, these still have some priority.

We did Rush the Harbor in AGC on Uber and with Astronomy, Uber is now part of our Trade network. Not all of it's cities are connected yet, but but we have an increasing worker force there that is working on it.

Quote:
5) After harbor, a decision was to be made if it was worth wild to build a small fleet, or to start on items such as a courthouse or cathedral. As this was several turns in the future with government change, american war, etc. to still occur, accurate predictions could not be made.
one of the nice things about queue's is that not only can you look at the expected build plans for the future, but they can be changed, as was done during the turnchat with Termina, at the Request of the SMC.

Quote:
This was not discussed via PM, but in the last turnchat I had attended. As I was not using the Queue function, but simply posting orders for the next 5 turns, this problem arised as I have not been able to do the last 3 orders (my bad).

As E_T is scheduled to take over the CP position, I have already communicated to him that I will do a memo with what I had planned regarding such things as this, along with all agreements, etc, that I had made (all were public I think...., but best to jot them down in one place for reference). Hopefully the problem with my computer will get fixed in the next day or two.

GK
I await your memo and I hope that any changes that have already been done, fit you overall objectives for the nation.

E_T
Old October 15, 2002, 17:12   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I checked the front page.
Currently over half the front page is a toped thread. (Due to elections)

If an additional 7 threads were toped, there would be very little else left there during elections.
Old October 15, 2002, 21:05   #11
Donegeal
Emperor

The topping thing was just sorta thrown out there and was not meant to be a main topic... Its the use of PM's for governmentel business that I think is the problem. Even if the PM is "should we be working tile x over tile y" it should get posted somewhere in an official Ministry thread so the general public knows that the issue was at least discussed.
Old October 15, 2002, 21:16   #12
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

The entire purpose of building the harbor first is that it would give the benifit of veteran ships, connecting to the capital AND all of its resources AND luxuries. Thus allowing its units to upgrade to the best available to us.

We instead built a worker, which will take FAR MORE than one turn to connect us to the capital and resources. We could have a Pikeman and be building a second Pikeman/Musketman right now if the harbor orders had been followed. This effectively wasted shields and put Holeinthewall at defensive risk.

A worker is not superior to a harbor in this case. The change was an extremely poor decision.
Old October 15, 2002, 22:21   #13
Donegeal
Emperor

Actually with the road connected to Rome, Hole is there by connected to our resourses and lux via our connection to Rome. Hole has all the lux and can build Muskets or a harbor or what ever we want.
Old October 15, 2002, 22:39   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Actually with the road connected to Rome, Hole is there by connected to our resourses and lux via our connection to Rome. Hole has all the lux and can build Muskets or a harbor or what ever we want.
The worker had to move to the tile and then build the road. It would have already been connected if it had built a harbor instead of a road. But this is the real issue:

I was the Regional Administrator for Holeinthewall.

It was my job as such to determine its production and tile use. I did. I did it on time and posted it in GKs order thread and pmd it to GK.

GK then compiled the orders. The orders were given to ET. ET changed the orders because he didn't feel like the CP or the RA mattered.

I pmd ET about the change and informed him I was the RA for Holeinthewall and I had put those orders in because after weeks of thread discussion it was agreed that it was the most effecient plan.

ET once again stated that he didn't care and was going to do what HE thought was best.

I just looked at the log from the turnchat and discovered that ET lied to Apoc about the situation and claimed it was merely a pm from me to GK when HE KNEW ALL ALONG THAT IT HAD BEEN A POSTED ORDER.

Not only did he willing change orders from elected officials, but he lied to get his wishes done. This is NOT the kind of actions I want in an elected official.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; October 15, 2002 at 23:00.
Old October 15, 2002, 23:16   #15
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

If we had rushed the Habor in Hole then we might not have had the funds to pull of the tech deal. We definantly would not have been able to rush the Temple in San Cortes and it would have taken even longer to rush the settler in AGC (which will probably be this turn).

It may not have been the best choice of E_T, but it wasn't all bad. You people must make sure you aren't narrowing your vision. Worse things have happened. I am really not too upset about this part, even though I was lied to apparently. My real life has been pretty shitty and if I got horribly upset over everything that went wrong, I'd never recover. Instead I just try to find something I can use in every problem I encounter.

What I am incredibly upset about is that it wasted my time. I am very busy. Today was a day off for me yet I've been working my ass off almost non stop for the past 16 hours doing this, college applications, yard work, and getting ready for the debate tournament I mentioned earlier. I am also banking on a hope that I will not have a Holocaust paper due tommarow.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 15, 2002, 23:24   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Apocalypse, I am not all that upset over a worker being built instead of a harbor.

I am upset that an unelected citizen can hijack the Ministry of City Planning and the Foreign Ministry and redo the orders of the elected officials and then pass them off as the official orders.

And get away with it. I thought the CoL was supposed to prevent that from happening. What's the point of having elected offices if any citizen can override the official orders with their own at whim?
Old October 16, 2002, 00:16   #17
Donegeal
Emperor

Being an RA doesn't give you the power to tell the MoCP what to do. RA's are underlings to the CP and the "orders" RA's compile are truly only suggestions to the CP reguarding the cities in the RA's stead. As the CP is the boss, it is ultimately his choice of what to do with the RA's suggestions. He can tell an RA "no, I'm not doing that" but the more he does it the less help he will get.

But lets not get off the subject here. I know that your main complaint is that ET might have changed MoCP orders when there were posted and finalized orders from the CP. I think this matter should be looked into further by the Court.
Old October 16, 2002, 00:21   #18
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ghengis, I do beleive that this was a case of an unintential error, not outright deception. One thing to remember is being a deputy who finds himself in charge is always an awkward postion. Remember when I was taking over for uber during the french war, there was a great arguement and controversy about the peace terms and peace being made at all. The root problem I suspect was I was acting as SMC but I had no authority legally. Now me and Togas and the president managed to handle it in a dignified and efficient manner, and made things work better because of what happened. I call upon you and ET to do the same. I was also one of the people who pushed for the worker in HIW, mainly becasue we could rush a worker, but there was no way to rush a harbor, since I required 5 upgrades of wc to knight. Perhaps Et defered to my opinion of this because I was elected and could react to the current situation(I don't know, just guessing). Additionally I also was against rushing that harbor at the end of the chat because I felt since the worker had already connected the road, it was best that we build a harbor on uber. Before judgeing ET poorly I just ask that on this issue you give ET the benefit of the doubt. He also was doing 2 jobs at the same time which is quite difficult, so please keep this in mind. Both of you have contributed greatly to this game and I hope we can work together in the future.
Thank you
Aggie
Old October 16, 2002, 01:05   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Being an RA doesn't give you the power to tell the MoCP what to do. RA's are underlings to the CP and the "orders" RA's compile are truly only suggestions to the CP reguarding the cities in the RA's stead. As the CP is the boss, it is ultimately his choice of what to do with the RA's suggestions. He can tell an RA "no, I'm not doing that" but the more he does it the less help he will get.

But lets not get off the subject here. I know that your main complaint is that ET might have changed MoCP orders when there were posted and finalized orders from the CP. I think this matter should be looked into further by the Court.
I gave the orders to GK who was and is the CP.

GK approved them and gave them to ET.

ET changed them.

I pm'd ET to inform him of what I thought was an error. ET told me it was not an error, he just didn't like the orders and changed them.

If ET had been the elected CP I wouldn't have a beef with this issue. He isn't, why does an unelected person have the right to change orders from an RA that were approved and posted by the official elected to the Cp ministry post?

If Donegal and Aggie will explain why orders from elected officials can be overriden by unelected officials I would appreciate it.

He was fully aware as I pm'd him several times and explained it to him. He knew he was changing official orders. After it became clear he was intending to change official orders I informed him that if he did do it after it had been discussed in threads and approved by GK that I would try to have the action addressed by the court and he gave me the impression that he felt the court would have nothing to say about it.

It isn't the result that bothers me, but the fact that someone feels they have the freedom to hijack official ministry orders for their own personal ideas and override the input, discussion, and orders of elected officials. I would never do this. There have been several times when I was at turnthreads and the official playing the game asked me for instructions and I still told them the wishes of the elected official even though I had argued against the very same orders as I feel that undermines the entire concept of a Democracy game.

Yet here someone undermined the orders of TWO ministries and I see many active members blowing it off as though its not important.

Togas made a token protest at having his orders countermanded. Aggie appears to support ET. Donegal even supports ET even after I went through the log and saw how ET told Donegal it was simply a pm agreement when he had already acknowedged my pms that it was an official order approved by GK, the elected official over CP orders.

Anyway, I realize I am being pretty much ignored by the community as a loony for taking a stand on this issue as it appears they view ministers as just advisors and not having authority over their respective areas. I feel strongly that the people elected to a position are considered to be good at that area and the citizens want them and not someone they didn't elect to handle the decisions for that area.

I promised ET I would raise a rucus if he altered official orders without the officials approval and I plan to do just that.
Old October 16, 2002, 01:19   #20
Donegeal
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I pm'd ET to inform him of what I thought was an error. ET told me it was not an error, he just didn't like the orders and changed them.
Do you have the copy of the PM where he said he didn't like them and wasn't going to change what he wrote?

Just a note that this is PERCISELY why I started this thread about using PM's. If this would have been done in the forums, then we could quickly solve this problem.
Old October 16, 2002, 01:35   #21
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:

Do you have the copy of the PM where he said he didn't like them and wasn't going to change what he wrote?

Just a note that this is PERCISELY why I started this thread about using PM's. If this would have been done in the forums, then we could quickly solve this problem.
No, that was before I started getting concerned with the direction he was going (I get a LOT of pms- mostly leaderhead related and have to empty my box a lot), at that point I seriously thought that if he was aware I might take the issue to court he would stick with the original orders.

Anyway they are pms and posting their contents is a banishible offense at Apolyton. The rare exceptions are serious threats against you in which case you are supposed to inform a mod and give them permission to access and view your pms.

Holeinwall's primary srategic contribution is its ability to build ships on that coast and thus save us the time of sailing around Abananaba Minor. I guess we'll have to settle for regular galleys.
Old October 16, 2002, 02:09   #22
nz_upy
Warlord

I am in full support in GF's view on this issue. E_T due to his indepedent action's, although supported by Ministers (who were unaware of the situation), and his seemingly disregard for authority and the principles on which this game stands should be punished. In two circumstances as acting CP and FAM he blatantly overrode Ministerial Orders (Ivory and HIW). This should not go without inquiry.

On another note I am concerned about the quality of the Game Reports. They have become nothing more than a list of a few events and a vague explaination of things. eg "Aggie explored with Galleys a bit" (Ocean naming may help here).
If RL restricts the Game Report to the bare minimum so be it but it means that those who arent fully involved in the game arent able to follow what is happening eg. The impending war with France??? Citizens were lost as to why this maybe because they are "out of the loop".

Since I'm in the mood I'll also push for the need for someone to Journal and maybe put into a Tale the great story of our Nation.

It seems to me that since the introduction of Republicanism something has been lost and tension has taken the place of comradarie.

Last edited by nz_upy; October 16, 2002 at 02:56.
Old October 16, 2002, 02:43   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by nz_upy
On another note I am concerned about the quality of the Game Reports. They have become nothing more than a list of a few events and a vague explaination of things. eg "Aggie explored with Galleys a bit".
If RL restricts the Game Report to the bare minimum so be it but it means that those who arent fully involved in the game arent able to follow what is happening eg. The impending war with France??? Citizens were lost as to why this maybe because they are "out of the loop".
I fully agree. I NEED to know new worker construction trades, and captures. According to the reports posted on this forum we have captured a total of 1 Persian worker, built one, and traded for none in the entire term of OPD. That is sad that we have only gained one worker in an entire term considering the amount of jungle clearing and mine building we have before us.
Old October 16, 2002, 06:48   #24
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I fully agree. I NEED to know new worker construction trades, and captures. According to the reports posted on this forum we have captured a total of 1 Persian worker, built one, and traded for none in the entire term of OPD. That is sad that we have only gained one worker in an entire term considering the amount of jungle clearing and mine building we have before us.
I'll reply on the other issues later. But for now...

Ghengis,
Whaa?

So far this term, the Foreign Ministry bought three workers -- in one turnchat. We've been buying workers like crazy, and I know we've bought at least one or two others besides those three. I'm sorry to say that the reports are wrong on that matter . I don't have a list of how many workers we managed to get, but I'll think about it and see if there was any way I could create one for you -- I understand how important it is to the $-minigame.

-- adaMada
Old October 16, 2002, 07:32   #25
Donegeal
Emperor

Just for everyones information, I have reviewed GodKings official CP orders post for the turnchat/threads from the following years:
380, 430, 440, 490, 530 and 580.

No where on any of these posts are there any orders about building a harbor. The only orders I have been able to find are about moving the city one tile to the SW (which was done) and building a temple there (wihich was also done). There was only one other reference to Hole, and that was to "grow".

There was one questionable orders thread. The orders thread for 440 mentions something about GodKings original orders dissapearing and him having to type them over. It is entirely possible that a deal was agreeded upon by GodKing and Ghengis via PM, was posted with these original orders that somehow dissapearded and subsequentially go forgotten when GodKing retyped the orders.

Please note that I am NOT taking sides on this issue. I only want to see that the game is played democraticly and without cheating.
Old October 16, 2002, 09:09   #26
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Wow, this thing sure balooned since I last looked at it.

My own stance on this issue:

GF, E_T,

I don't know what happened, as GF points out, PM's cannot be brought onto the boards, so there would be no proof if anything was taken to court. Even so, there is nothing in the CoL that refers to EITHER RA's or for an assistant taking over for a chat. Basically, according to GK appointing GF in charge of HIW, and E_T in charge of that chat, you both had equal authority to change the orders. This brings up a situation that needs to be addressed, however, be it through an amendment or through a new constitution. I see this becoming a sticky situation...

On the use of PM's. I have never been a minister, so I can't tell you how long this has been going on. I was VP, and basically ran the whole show for a week, however. And, Much like GF, I need my PM box emptied as I average sending and recieving roughly 20/day. Mostly Gazette, some private conversations. During my time as VP, that did jump dramatically, but there were no orders being passed to me in that fashion. All orders should be posted in plain sight in the orders thread. This was a HUGE problem with my first turnthread, as I spent an hour going to the different office threads to print out the respective orders, and it continues to be a problem creating confusion and problems such as these. TurnCHATS are also a source of SOME of this problem. Would the same problem have presented itself in a turnTHREAD had been played, and GK had posted his orders? I think not. Why is it we are relying on people to be PRESENT in the chat to give orders? Why is it that the executives cannot FOLLOW THE WRITTEN ORDERS for the turnchat and only ask for input when something has been left out, overlooked, or is unexpected? People need ONE location to see all orders. Asking for all input inside the chat is to take the game out of the hands of the public and put it into only those who can attend a chat. Follow the written orders FIRST, then get whatever else is needed. What official PM's I DID recieve were of the nature "I edited my orders, make sure you notice this: (insert changed portion)" or, 'please give me your opinion on this order: (instert link)' This is how official PM's should work. Simply making sure someone notices whatever you need their opinion on. MrWIA and I would talk privately reguarding official business, but that was more because we agreed that we spoke as one during our term, and needed to consolidate our views on whatever issue.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 16, 2002, 11:13   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

First off I'm not out to crucify ET. I feel this is an issue that has been escalating for some time and has definitely reached unacceptable levels. Citizens began making suggestions in turnchats, then argueing against official orders, then attempting to make their own orders, and now replacing official orders with their own.

This must stop now. This defeats our CoL and the entire system of elected Ministers. I also feel the Minsters have a tad too much power. Currently the President is mere puppethead at the whims and control of the Ministers.

There needs to be a set list of what Deputies can and cannot do as the Ministers have so much power it is virtually impossible for one person to perform all the functions by themselves.
Old October 16, 2002, 12:12   #28
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

I must admit I am a bit out of touch on what exactly happened this particular time, but as you say GF, the issue of deputies has been brewing for some time as well as the public discussion in chats. My observation is that most of the time deputies are appointed specifically to attend chats and give orders.

My question is WHY? Why should there even NEED to be a representative from any specific office if the orders are already posted in a public thread? Why do we need someone to tell the Pres/VP the orders when they could just as easily print out a copy and read them themselves? What REALLY is the purpose of asking for orders that are already posted during a chat? Seriously, can someone answer that? Why do we not simply carry out the printed oreders, report on what happened, and ask for anything that is ADDITIONAL, or not covered? Why redo the orders during a chat?

Following the written orders would reduce the need for so many deputies, and eliminate much of the problems that arise as a result of chats, likely speeding them up in the process.

Now, occasionally Ministers are out of communication for a length of time and Deputies must take full charge. Perhaps we need a method of public acceptance in such cases? And in the case of RA's, we likely need an amendment to cover that area.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 16, 2002, 12:48   #29
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Due to a variety of issues, I was unable to do the last three (3) sets of orders for my department. No excuses on my part. I did ask for assistance at the last chat I was at (a tuedsay night, run by Apoc) to see if anybody could help me out and do orders for me for the next time. Zeit volunteered. He was to compile any RA requests (GF and donegeal were the only two doing so), review them to make sure they made sence in the overall scheam, post his orders taking into consideration the RA suggestions, and if possible to attend the chat to answer any questions that may arise. By my understanding, Aggie ran that chat and all went well. I did not review these orders.

The next time orders were due, I was unable to do them. E_T had some questions as he was running for CP, and I was in contact with him. I offered him the opportunity as Zeit had to compile, post, and if possible attend the chat to answer any questions. E_T had the full authority of my office to do this work. He could sink or swim on his own ability just like Zeit did. As far as I was conserned, due to my failure to be able to do the orders, this was the second best as it allowed the candidates the oportunity to show their stuff, and to bow out of the race if they couldn't meet the demands of the job. Just wish historyguy would have asked, as I would have gladly given him the opportunity as well.

The third time, I had just replaced my hard drive (3rd one in 6 months....) and could not get civ to work. Knowing that I couldn't make the monday dedline for posting orders, and as E_T had stated that he would be willing to do them again if needed, I asked him to go ahead. One of the bigest factors in asking E_T to do this instead of posting a request for volunteers is that he had about 3 times the number of votes over the other candidates for the CP position, and therefor looked to be the next CP.

OK. A lot of this is perhaps my fault as I did not relay any specific instructions to either Zeit or E_T. Also, as of now about 15 turns have gone by where I have not looked at a save even. My computer is working again, and the last set of term 4 orders I am planning on doing tonight.

In terms of either Zeit or E_T not obaying any of my orders, that would be difficult as I did not give them any. I told each of them that they were on their own to show what they could do (or not do).

Can we let the specifics of this issue rest now. In general terms, people have been asking now for the past 2 months just what role should deputies and substitutes have. This just help examplify this situation. Con. Congress......?

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 16, 2002, 13:50   #30
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

So what your saying is for the last three weeks I've been typing and designing orders to establish a Western Fleet and they have been pointless.

If it wasn't for the fact that I only had to plan for one city I would most likely shoot GodKing now.

What the heck >bang<

GodKing starts flopping on the floor.

>bang< >bang<

This saltpeter stuff is kinda useful.

I do think the NewCon is an improvement but the alteration of Togas' orders and the issue of not following posted orders need to be addressed.