Old October 15, 2002, 14:36   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Overseas Exploration Plans
Citizens of Apolytonia,
Several turnchats ago Meshelic and I were appointed by Aggie as special advisors in the field of overseas exploration. Our goal is to find the lost civs, and now that we have bought Astronomy we can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Or the horizon, or whatever.
Anyway, I recommend that we move our galley to the harbor in Tassagrad in order to upgrade it to a Galleon and then send it to the tile marked with an X and embark in the direction of the arrow as soon as we have Navigation.
Some have suggested that we send numerous galleys from several directions. I don't believe in this idea, especially after messing with the random map generator a lot and realizing that when a map with multiple major continents is created the continents are usually the same distance away from each other (meaning that the distance between the eastern shore of Abananaba Major and the western shore of the closest unknown continent roughly equals the distance between the western shore of Abananaba Minor and the eastern shore of the closest unknown continent). In other words what I'm saying is that a ship sent from the shore formerly known as the Persian shore and a ship sent from another favorable spot will reach the lost continent(s) roughly the same time.
However, if we do build a galley in Hole In the Wall as suggested in today's turnchat I will post what I see as the shortest route and I will urge everyone else to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	disco.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	27048  
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 15:07   #2
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:24
"...I'm looking for answers from the great, anwers from the great beyond..."

another wonderful REM song.

SE is indeed better than East if we accept what Shiber said about the distances from shores (as our continent's shores are not 90 degree from the East-West axis). Good thinking Shiber.
Old October 15, 2002, 15:23   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:24
Caravels sink in the ocean prior to Navigation.

So for now, the Caravels should be pushing back by one / two tiles the unknown.

Once this is done, send them near Uber Island so they are in good position to go searching for the lost contientant once we have Navigation.
Old October 15, 2002, 15:27   #4
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by zeit
SE is indeed better than East if we accept what Shiber said about the distances from shores (as our continent's shores are not 90 degree from the East-West axis). Good thinking Shiber.
Thanks , but what I'm really waiting to hear is criticism.
This should be an interesting discussion.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 15:28   #5
Shiber
Emperor

joncnunn, the plan is that we upgrade the galley to a caravel, put it in position and embark only once we get navigation.
As for your suggestion, I'm afraid Uber Isle is in fact the worst place in the known world to embark from.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 16:07   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I was thinking searching ENE from Uber Island after Naviagation.

But perhaps SE from off the coast of Susa might be closer.

Just be sure to explore around Uber Island, there might be an unsettled minor island not to far from there.
Old October 15, 2002, 17:09   #7
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:24
Recently a thread about attacking the English came up, and I'd just like to say if this came up and we were able to capture some of the English port cities, then we would have a greater chance of finding the continents from those jump-off points.

In the case that that doesn't happen, I recommend sending an exploration party northwest of the Romans (or Greeks), although I'm sure sending a ship out from Susa would be a wise choice considering our position.

We will need more ships in the not-so-far-off future.
Old October 15, 2002, 17:15   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:24
Upgrade, but don't let is sit there. Use it to explore as much of the coast as possible so we can try and sell our map some more. IIRC each ocean square is worth 1/6 gp in trades, so with our large shore line we can get some significant mula. As long as we are set when we get navigation, it should not be a problem.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 15, 2002, 17:17   #9
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Just be sure to explore around Uber Island, there might be an unsettled minor island not to far from there.
Point taken. I'll promote the idea of further exploration in order to find more islands. Even if they're too far from our capital and there won't be much use in settling those islands we'd still make some decent profit out of selling the maps.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 17:22   #10
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I don't think there are any more islands (not any worth settling) in the seas around Uber Isle.

On a different note, I believe our cartographers still need to poll the people on proper naming of the ocean bodies surrounding us.
Old October 15, 2002, 17:26   #11
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
Recently a thread about attacking the English came up, and I'd just like to say if this came up and we were able to capture some of the English port cities, then we would have a greater chance of finding the continents from those jump-off points.
I strongly doubt we'll take any English shore cities before we get Navigation and set sail to the lost continent(s), but then again this game has been so far full of surprises.

Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Upgrade, but don't let is sit there. Use it to explore as much of the coast as possible so we can try and sell our map some more. IIRC each ocean square is worth 1/6 gp in trades, so with our large shore line we can get some significant mula. As long as we are set when we get navigation, it should not be a problem.
The problem is that we can't anticipate when we'll get Navigation so I'd prefer it if the caravel stays at the start tile after it is upgraded. This will give us the fastest start possible, whereas if we'll use the caravel to explore and then strike an unexpected deal to get Navigation our caravel won't be ready and we'd have to take a longer route to reach the lost civs.
Being late by even one turn could mean the difference between being the first to find the lost civs and take advantage of their technological and geographical ignorance and losing the race.

Quote:
We will need more ships in the not-so-far-off future.
I concur. Once we have found the lost civs we should begin to explore the seas and any islands that we come across and sell the maps to our neighbours.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 17:33   #12
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
I don't think there are any more islands (not any worth settling) in the seas around Uber Isle.
Neither do I, but mapping the world, even the seas, increases the value of our maps. According to Godking every water tile adds 1/6 gold to the price and every land tile adds 2 gold to the price.

Quote:
On a different note, I believe our cartographers still need to poll the people on proper naming of the ocean bodies surrounding us.
I agree, but let's not discuss this here since this is off topic to this thread.
I would have brought this issue up but it's 23:34 and I want to catch some sleep. Meshelic, can you please bump some old thread or start a new thread about this issue?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 15, 2002, 20:12   #13
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 03:24
Well, our galleys should be all upgraded to caravels as soon, if not before, the discovery of Navigation. My question is, how long will it be until that is achieved?
Old October 15, 2002, 21:20   #14
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Well, our galleys should be all upgraded to caravels as soon, if not before, the discovery of Navigation. My question is, how long will it be until that is achieved?
Far longer that we had planned as our coastal cities aren't going to be building harbors or ships with ET as City Planner.
Old October 15, 2002, 22:41   #15
History Guy
PtWDG RoleplayACDG Planet University of TechnologyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameApolyton Storywriters' GuildC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Blast! Now, heck, you see, if you'd all just voted for me instead, we'd be having a harbor for every city!

I would think that harbors and ships must be built sooner or later, otherwise we'll be having to ask the Germans if they could hand over the Zulu communications for 50 gold and some ivory, or something to that effect. I should think that this should be a priority, on account of the tremendous benefits we would assuredly receive if we discovered these "lost civilizations" before our neighbors.
Old October 15, 2002, 22:46   #16
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by History Guy
Blast! Now, heck, you see, if you'd all just voted for me instead, we'd be having a harbor for every city!

I would think that harbors and ships must be built sooner or later, otherwise we'll be having to ask the Germans if they could hand over the Zulu communications for 50 gold and some ivory, or something to that effect. I should think that this should be a priority, on account of the tremendous benefits we would assuredly receive if we discovered these "lost civilizations" before our neighbors.
I agree, but apparently a lot of Apolytonians have no desire to be the first to contact the Lost Civs.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; October 16, 2002 at 01:19.
Old October 15, 2002, 23:18   #17
Meshelic
King

HistoryGuy you had my vote
Old October 16, 2002, 12:07   #18
joncnunn
Emperor

There's only 1 Galley now (other was lost transporting to Uber Island), so as soon as it reaches the closet harbor, our entire Navy can be brought up to date.
Old October 16, 2002, 13:59   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Isn't it cool, though? The mighty naval force of all of Apolytonia consists of one rowboat.
Old October 16, 2002, 14:20   #20
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:24
We actually have 2, according my sav (640admapwhoretime)
Old October 23, 2002, 02:21   #21
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 09:24
*bump*

Because of oue recent acquision of Navigation.
Old October 23, 2002, 11:39   #22
Shiber
Emperor

We should embark from our current position heading SE, just like in the plan.
I expect that the galley will make contact within 3 to 4 turns.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 23, 2002, 11:48   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Is the ship going to have a settler in it just in case we find an empty square?
Old October 23, 2002, 11:55   #24
Shiber
Emperor

Empty space? I sure do hope so, but I wouldn't count on that.
Anyway, we have to embark as soon as possible in order to outrun the AIs so we have no time for such preperations. It's too bad you didn't propose this idea earlier, it's a good idea.
- Phantom of the Opera