Old October 17, 2002, 19:33   #31
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
[QUOTE] Originally posted by Athitis

6) Don't forget: the ultimate combination of wits and guts (and talent): woman+condom(s)=less civ than ever!

Actually woman minus condom = even less civ than woman + condom

Old October 17, 2002, 20:05   #32
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Local Time: 02:24
Location: Corporate Warlord of the Great White North & Warmer Climes
Solution (
I go with the sex thing. I just let my wife know that anytime she wants sex I will be more than happy to give up playing Civ that evening.

I'm sure it's going to work.

Gee. I've been playing a lot of civ lately.

Honey, are you still awake....? I could leave this game any time, you know.....

Hello?
Old October 17, 2002, 20:27   #33
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Re: Solution (
Quote:
Originally posted by Changmai Beagle
I go with the sex thing. I just let my wife know that anytime she wants sex I will be more than happy to give up playing Civ that evening.

I'm sure it's going to work.

Gee. I've been playing a lot of civ lately.

Honey, are you still awake....? I could leave this game any time, you know.....

Hello?

Old October 18, 2002, 00:57   #34
Explorer579
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:24
How come the original thread "Civ3, Addiction, Disclaimer, and Informed Consent" does not appear under the General forum category? Is it blocked or is it my computer? Or maybe censorship?!
Old October 18, 2002, 02:33   #35
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
It's censorship, 'they' are doing it to us because 'they' don't want us to know that full and happy 'lifes' exists beyond civ.

Oops, guess 'they' will be coming for me any time now
Old October 18, 2002, 07:35   #36
Athitis
Chieftain

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Hail Caesar!
Quote:
Originally posted by Athitis

6) Don't forget: the ultimate combination of wits and guts (and talent): woman+condom(s)=less civ than ever!

Actually woman minus condom = even less civ than woman + condom

Yes but this way you don't just stop playing civ, you stop doing all the good stuff! Plus, imagine having a child born addicted to civ.......Its first words will be "Pe.....pe.....pe.......persia!" or something like that!
Old October 18, 2002, 10:59   #37
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Athitis

Yes but this way you don't just stop playing civ, you stop doing all the good stuff! Plus, imagine having a child born addicted to civ.......Its first words will be "Pe.....pe.....pe.......persia!" or something like that!
If it's first words were persia my wife would have some serious explaining to do!!!!!
Old October 18, 2002, 16:38   #38
Athitis
Chieftain

We all know Xerxes is a real pain in the @$$ and an infamous backstabber, so I wouldn't be suprised much! Besides no woman can resist to his beautiful.........uhhh..... beard!

And this is nothing compared to what is to come. Imagine your son posting bald Joan posters on his room!
Old October 18, 2002, 21:10   #39
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Children
Don't laugh. My youngest son didn't read all that early, but then he started wanting to play Civilization (I) by himself. Some of the first words he was reading were G-G-RRR A T E P- P- P y r a m i d.
(My words are backed by nucwear weapons?)
Old October 19, 2002, 14:57   #40
dworkin
Chieftain

"(My words are backed by nucwear weapons?)"

This will definitly go down like a lead balloon at kindergarten.
Old October 19, 2002, 16:42   #41
Athitis
Chieftain

-Miss, can......can I go to the toilet?

-Say "please" first!

-WHAT? PLEASE!!!??? My WORDS ARE BACKED UP BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS! TAKE ME TO THE WC OR I WILL HAVE HALF MY GLORIOUS ARMY TAKE OVER THIS PETTY CLASS!
Old October 19, 2002, 19:56   #42
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 11:24
Quote:
Originally posted by dworkin
"(My words are backed by nucwear weapons?)"

This will definitly go down like a lead balloon at kindergarten.
That sandbox expression is almost as good as this:

- My dad is the strongest man in the world!
- I can buy your daddy!
Old October 19, 2002, 20:31   #43
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

This thread is getting weird

Old October 21, 2002, 04:52   #44
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hail Caesar!
This thread is getting weird

Just a thought, maybe there are a lot of weird people frequenting this forum? Or maybe otherwise normal people are exposing their weirdness here?

BTW I'm happy to report that I have had an almost civ-free weekend(had a hangover yesterday and played civ a couple of hours til my brain crawled back to 'normalcy')
Old October 21, 2002, 13:24   #45
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo

Just a thought, maybe there are a lot of weird people frequenting this forum? Or maybe otherwise normal people are exposing their weirdness here?

BTW I'm happy to report that I have had an almost civ-free weekend(had a hangover yesterday and played civ a couple of hours til my brain crawled back to 'normalcy')
I've been Civ-free for almost 5 days

Ummmm

but

I've wasted plenty of time at the apolyton.net message boards
Old October 21, 2002, 15:24   #46
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 01:24
When my computer crashes, I know it is time to go to bed.

Serioisly though, a timed session utility would either work reall well or piss me off by letting me know that time flies by.

Mss
Old October 22, 2002, 03:03   #47
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
Serioisly though, a timed session utility would either work reall well or piss me off by letting me know that time flies by.

Mss
Unless properly done an utility like that would have an enormous potential for pissing people off.

*bleep* You have now wasted 234 hours 45 minutes and 23 seconds on civ3, may I suggest a bath? *bleep*

If anyone have heard of such an utility feel free to inform the rest of us.
Old October 22, 2002, 16:10   #48
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 05:24
I'd say, find something more addictive, like sex or heroin. You'll forget about Civ in no time!
Old November 14, 2002, 21:11   #49
Changmai Beagle
Warlord

Quote:
An early game (WWII: War in the Pacific) did have this feature. That meant I generally had to wait until my family was not nearby to turn off the game - otherwise they knew exactly how many minutes had been 'wasted'
Old November 15, 2002, 08:22   #50
Lucarse
Warlord

You know you've been playing civ too much when you walk into a store and pick up a candy bar/pack of crisps and say 'i'll give you Incense for 3 bars per turn....no? take this offer or suffer the consequences!!!...'
Old November 15, 2002, 09:33   #51
Trifna
King

Local Time: 17:24
Quote:
Originally posted by ManicStarSeed
When my computer crashes, I know it is time to go to bed.

Mss
May I propose you Linux or Mac? So you wont sleep for weeks if you're lucky
Old November 15, 2002, 12:29   #52
Lucarse
Warlord

Yeah, how many times have you said
'i'll play the next couple of turns till 11pm then go to bed'...
suddenly you realize its 1am!
This happened to me last night i lost two hours man!.. girlfriend woke up and was pissed!.
Old November 15, 2002, 21:31   #53
The Puny Celt
Settler

Local Time: 19:24
Seriously, Civ addiction is a major issue that can cause real health problems, breakdowns in relationships, even loss of employment. I've written to Firaxis several times in the past suggesting there were parallels between their product and cigarettes. To avoid costly litigation I proposed that the game should come with an anti-addiction safeguard - a beautiful young woman. And when you played for over 2 hours she would call out in a husky voice, "Why don't you come to bed now, Puny Celt".

So far Firaxis have ignored my suggestion. But perhaps if we got together a petition...
Old November 26, 2002, 00:53   #54
Explorer579
Chieftain

Self-control timer - A simple solution
Here is a solution. Before you start a game, you have the option of telling the computer how long you want to play and how long you want to rest afterwards. You put the date and time. After you reach said date and time, the computer will not let you play before the amount of rest time has lapsed! This should work for me. It will piss me when time is reached, but I will pissed at myself and not at Fyraxis!

Example:
Set date and time: 11/272002 11 pm
Set rest duration: 8 hours

As I start playing at 8 pm and set it to stop at 11 pm, at 11 pm there is no way i can play more turns before 8 hours lapse (that is 7 am)! The game will stop after the end of the current turn or even suddenly in the middle of a battle!

That would be an agreement with the self. Fyraxis has nothing to do with it.. but providing the tool..

Creating security mechanism so I would not be able to break the addiction sefl-control will be challenging for Fyraxis. Rebooting should not reset it... Not even reloading, reinstalling, or restoring backup!
Old November 26, 2002, 07:32   #55
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Interesting thought but the only way I can see it work is if you use some kind of online-service to control the time settings. It's just too easy to fool the computer by adjusting the clock.
Old November 26, 2002, 10:37   #56
Trifna
King

Re: Self-control timer - A simple solution
Quote:
Originally posted by Explorer579
Here is a solution. Before you start a game, you have the option of telling the computer how long you want to play and how long you want to rest afterwards. You put the date and time. After you reach said date and time, the computer will not let you play before the amount of rest time has lapsed! This should work for me. It will piss me when time is reached, but I will pissed at myself and not at Fyraxis!

Example:
Set date and time: 11/272002 11 pm
Set rest duration: 8 hours

As I start playing at 8 pm and set it to stop at 11 pm, at 11 pm there is no way i can play more turns before 8 hours lapse (that is 7 am)! The game will stop after the end of the current turn or even suddenly in the middle of a battle!

That would be an agreement with the self. Fyraxis has nothing to do with it.. but providing the tool..

Creating security mechanism so I would not be able to break the addiction sefl-control will be challenging for Fyraxis. Rebooting should not reset it... Not even reloading, reinstalling, or restoring backup!
Could be BTW, Fyraxis is written "Firaxis"

bongo: It's not necessarily a need to make it unhackable. Even if it can be hacked, voluntarily limiting is still something good.

PS: Never thought this thread would be revived after going THAT weird.
Old November 27, 2002, 00:52   #57
Explorer579
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by bongo
Interesting thought but the only way I can see it work is if you use some kind of online-service to control the time settings. It's just too easy to fool the computer by adjusting the clock.
Actually it can be easily done by using one or a combination of hidden files, time last used file, registry, text encryption. I have done it before.

But again, as the next comment suggests, don't make it very complex. If the user wants to learn how to delete hidden file, decript, edit registry, etc. then this guy is really addicted and it is better to serve him than risking him going crazy!
Old November 27, 2002, 00:54   #58
Explorer579
Chieftain

Re: Re: Self-control timer - A simple solution
Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna

PS: Never thought this thread would be revived after going THAT weird.
It is a real problem and I have not seen a real solution yet. I just hope somebody at Firaxis read these messages.
Old November 27, 2002, 04:47   #59
bongo
lifer
Emperor

Unless you have an external timesource one reboot and a clock adjustment is all it takes to make the computer think you have been away for 8 hours.
Old November 27, 2002, 13:00   #60
Trifna
King

Re: Re: Re: Self-control timer - A simple solution
Quote:
Originally posted by Explorer579

It is a real problem and I have not seen a real solution yet. I just hope somebody at Firaxis read these messages.
Yup, that's why I started this thread...

bongo: Of course I guess you could change your clock, but these things generally have their liability based on the user's will to keep an exterior life. Many solutions cannot be better and therefore are simply better than nothing (like now). About the clock, isn't there a clock in the BIOS?...