Old October 16, 2002, 10:06   #1
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 10:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Commandos III
Anyone play Commandos? I've played most of the levels o BCD, BEL, MoC, its a great game genre.

Was wondering if anyone else is looking forward to the release of the 3rd generation next summer and if anyone knows of any similar style games?
Old October 16, 2002, 10:39   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 04:26
I haven't played Commandos before. Is it really that good?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 16, 2002, 10:48   #3
Dauphin
Deity

I think so. Its one of my favourite games.

The characters, the maps, the strategy all excellent, and combined into a real-time game. The only disadvantage is you have to save several times a mission if you have a tendency to die.

Shooting Nazi soldiers in the back of the head with a sniper rifle is fun. Driving around in tanks and running over Nazi soldiers is even better.
Old October 16, 2002, 10:58   #4
Dauphin
Deity

DP. Damn slow.

Last edited by Dauphin; October 16, 2002 at 11:07.
Old October 16, 2002, 11:03   #5
Dauphin
Deity

For less than $20 from most retail outlets C2 is well worth it.

You must be advised that patience is a virtue in getting to understand the game - I was always getting killed very early on. But if the game was easy it would be no fun!
Old October 16, 2002, 11:14   #6
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 04:26
If you want a game similar to Commandos, the only ones that I can think of are Fallout Tactics & Star Trek: Away Team.

I'll have to see if I can pick up, Commandos 2. It sounds like fun.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 16, 2002, 11:22   #7
Dauphin
Deity

My experience of Star-Trek games is that they focus more on making it Trekkie than making it playable.

I'll certainly look at fallout tactics.
Old October 16, 2002, 19:05   #8
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 03:26
I've played commandos. I found it extremelly hard. I almost gave up several times.

There is another game just like called Desperados. Same style but set in the far-west.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 17, 2002, 04:55   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:26
1. it is a difficult game!!!, but great fun.

2. Commando's 2 should be dropping in price any day now, might have allready
So don't pay full price for it
Old October 17, 2002, 05:07   #10
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I played Commandos1 and loved it, now i'm waiting for 2 to drop in price.
So they're making part 3 now, should be interesting.

And i have only played the FO:Tactics demo, but it was very good, also got a mission editor and an active community from what i understand, so it would be worth to buy it....i know i'll buy it if i see it around in stores here, with a good discount offcourse
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 17, 2002, 05:18   #11
The Pioneer
Prince

I played the first one and although it was difficult it was fun. I bought the second one when it first came out (a while back) but the my PC is not all that fast and I stopped playing until I get a new PC !

So long...
Old October 17, 2002, 12:35   #12
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:26
Sagacious Dolphin:
There's a game that looks very very similar to Commandos, only using Robin Hood characters and settings.

Get the demo from here:
http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/3277

I've been meaning to download this game for days, but haven't got around to it yet.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:45   #13
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 16:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemmy
And i have only played the FO:Tactics demo, but it was very good, also got a mission editor and an active community from what i understand, so it would be worth to buy it....i know i'll buy it if i see it around in stores here, with a good discount offcourse
FO:Tactics is a crap. I wasn't able to force myself to finish last 2 or 3 missions. It's boring. They raped idea of Fallout

Sagacious Dolphin,
Desperados have more similar things with Commandos then FOT. It's Commandos on Far-West. If you like Commandos (I don't) you will like it.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:57   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I tried commandos 1, two times, but I never got started, since I quickly lost my interest...I like that type of games...but I don't think WW2 (or which war it was about) interesting at all...

Now Desperados was a great game, it took me no time to get to like that game, I really love that western time for a game like that

I wish they would make a Desperados 2...
Old October 18, 2002, 22:50   #15
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I've only played Commandos 2, great game. I never did finsih it though... one of the best thigns about it is how can it be so difficult, but in a fun way. (I find that most games make it difficult simply by making it more frustrating or annoying to do things, in Commandos it's mostly a matter of your own strategies)

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
If you want a game similar to Commandos, the only ones that I can think of are Fallout Tactics & Star Trek: Away Team.
Jagged Alliance is the next best thing to Commandos, only it's turn-based.

Do It Ourselves
Old October 20, 2002, 00:55   #16
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Ooh, I love Commandos. I played it for the first time some three months ago. My brother-in-law played it all the time because it was the only game he could play on his crappy computer (P100). I then played it for some time... and got hooked!

Wonderful game; difficult, but fun.

Any news yet about Commandos 3 new features?
Old October 20, 2002, 18:57   #17
Dauphin
Deity

The website is pretty barren (there is no official website only the .

There is a promo video trailer.

The publishers website .

Quote:
Commandos 3 is a tactical action strategy game set against the backdrop of World War II where you must take control of an elite group of Commandos as they venture deep into enemy territory. Commandos 3 aims to take the stunningly detailed graphics and absorbing gameplay of the series to a whole new level. The game features an improved graphics engine, more realistic AI (artificial intelligence), and a greater variety of enemies and equipment. The structure of the game has been completely revamped; it is no longer mission based and instead features a strong narrative that drives the player through the game. Commandos 3 also promises to be more accessible and easier to play than previous games in the series.
The developers site, Pyro Studios, is pretty empty too.

That's about all thats available on the game (due in summer 2003)
Old October 20, 2002, 20:57   #18
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
it is no longer mission based and instead features a strong narrative that drives the player through the game.
Hm. I'm not sure if I like this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old October 20, 2002, 21:25   #19
Dauphin
Deity

I think its too soon to tell. A lot of the other changes they've made in the past have turned out well.
Old October 21, 2002, 19:53   #20
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Here are more info (but I think that it's old..)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyros Studios

Overview:

Commandos 3, presented during the E3, the leading international trade show for the videogames market, has been in development for over eight months.
Commandos 3 will be developed by a team of over 40 professionals, its development will last for two years, incorporates a series of gameplay and technical improvements which will make it the most ambitious game of the saga.

Features:

Among the most outstanding features of the game, an improved graphics engine, a new concept of game flow that sets it apart from the traditional Commandos gameplay or the new multiplayer modes with different types of deathmatch games.

Prior to its release date, expected for summer 2003 in its PC format, more gameplay details will be unveiled, including a playable demo available some months before its publication.
BTW, the Spanish guy that creates Pyros Studios has resigned and has started a new company. I hope that, even witouth him, Comandos 3 will be as good as Comandos 1 & 2 were.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:03   #21
Alex
Emperor

I find it funny how both the official sites doesn't contain lots of content now, when the game is (supposedly) almost ready for release.

The Eidos site is totally non-informative, with some images and a registration form.

The other official site has nothing but a blank screen with "Commandos 3" written in it.

Anyway, some Commandos 3 features (which are not that revealing anyway):

Quote:
- Historical WWII campaigns: engage the enemy across Europe, from the Eastern front of Stalingrad, to the Gestapo Headquarters in Berlin, to the D-Day assault on Omaha Beach, each offering unique tactical situations

- Multiple paths to victory: prepare your commandos for a variety of strategies as enemy bombing raids lay waste to environments, requiring you to change your tactics and approach

- Guerrilla warfare: utilize ambush tactics, stealth, sabotage, and demolitions to disrupt enemy advances

- Multiplayer combat: test your skills head-to-head with up to 8 other players via LAN and Internet

- Improved accessibility: Commandos 3: Destination Berlin features more detailed, smaller maps providing more action-orientated missions that form part of an overall campaign. A strong narrative drives the story via cinematic briefing screens.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:10   #22
Alex
Emperor

Some more info was revealed on a good Gamespot preview, things like:

- The enhanced 3D graphics are not only more interactive--we saw commandos inch along the top of a speeding train, drop along the side, peer inside a troop car, and then crawl through windows--but they're also stunningly cinematic. That same train scene ends when a bridge blows in front of the engine, taking the first few cars with it into the abyss. You'll have to see it to believe the smooth detail of the sequence.

- All the characters and vehicles are now in full 3D, with new animation and lighting systems.

- Commandos 3 will provide a more continual payoff and give a better sense of the progress you're making toward longer-term goals by breaking missions that span multiple maps into shorter sequences. The net effect will also include more variety to the missions, as you segue from various actions, including straight stealth, sniping, assaults, or ambushes.

- Commandos 3 is divided into three distinct campaigns: Stalingrad, Central Europe, and Normandy.

There are other previews, of course, but I can't be arsed to look for them right now.
Old July 10, 2003, 16:15   #23
Alex
Emperor

And now some wonderful screenshots:

The last one for now:

Old July 10, 2003, 23:30   #24
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Sagacious Dolphin:
Big Crunch is the original handle
Old July 11, 2003, 04:45   #25
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Big Crunch is the original handle
I've aware of that. He was still called Sagacious Dolphin in October last year when I made that post, however. Quite why you felt the need to point it out is beyond me, but we both seem to have got [+1] out of it so it isn't a total loss.
Old July 11, 2003, 05:32   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

The ancient necromantic art of raising threads from the grave is at work again
Old July 11, 2003, 06:58   #27
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:26
Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
The ancient necromantic art of raising threads from the grave is at work again
It's all Skanky's fault.
Old July 11, 2003, 07:34   #28
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I didn't even notice these were old posts until the SD comment.