Old October 16, 2002, 16:12   #1
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
War Academy: Next taget England or France
We are fast approaching a decison on who to attack first. For the record I have plans for both attacks that can work. I want you all to post here your opinions about which country is more important to attack. I will post my plans tomorrow, but want your ideas first to make sure I haven't missed anything. Additionally I am very busy today so can't post until much later tonight.
Aggie
Old October 16, 2002, 16:35   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:27
France, because of the saltpaper and because they're much easier so we can accomplish all of our goals within five turns and then sue for peace, thus minimizing war weariness.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 16, 2002, 16:43   #3
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 01:27
France, the saltpeter and iron are valuable, and if we're lucky the Germans will take London and take the cultural pressure off Arabela.
Old October 16, 2002, 17:01   #4
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 05:27
Let the Peace be!

Are we Apolytonians or Mongols?

We can still prepare for (inevitable) wars, but let's not start the next one.

Those fearing the lost opportunity for GA: there will always be that last spearman/archer/swordsman defending an enemy city, after killing all the musketeers/pikemen.

Last edited by Hot Mustard; October 16, 2002 at 17:28.
Old October 16, 2002, 17:18   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

We are evenually going to need to annex England.
(Needs done by the time the Forbidden Palace gets completed out there.)

But I think we can annex France now with Knights and latter annex England when we have Calvary. The question is can we annex France without the Eastern Knight forces?

Realpolitic, the Iron is so valuable that almost any deal we make with it with be less than full value and merely 1 gold less than can't be done.

Saltpeter is a more usuable resource. I do suggest that overseas customers would be prefered this until we have Tanks for our own safety. (Especally if we get 4)

Also keep 1 extra of each resource in reserve because resources have a habit of moving.
Old October 16, 2002, 17:18   #6
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'd like Germany to attack England but I wouldn't like them to win. A bigger Germany would be a greater threat then a medium-sized Germany and a medium-sized England.
I'd prefer it if Germany went to war with England and only exchanged a few cities. This is basically bad for their economies and good for us.
Furthermore, we can take advantage of the situation and ally with Germany against England. Germany will offer a free tech and more for an alliance against England should they declare war.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 16, 2002, 17:24   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I agree with Shiber, if Germany attacks England, stop a turn chat so we can declare war on the English and invade right away to minimize Germany's enlargement. This is another reason we need to keep the eastern Knight forces out of the French theater.

If Germany instead attacks the Aztecs, let them fight it among themselves, but be ready to jump on Germany in the unlikely event that the Germans start losing.

The potiential for this war is one of the main reasons I support the Culture Flipping proposal.
Old October 16, 2002, 17:46   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I agree with England as a long-term goal, ideally AFTER the Forbidden Palace is completed in our new Persian province.
Old October 16, 2002, 17:48   #9
Reddawg
Prince

Whoa whoa whoa, Aggie what's your timetable on these attacks?

I need to know this, I reserve my opinion until I do know. Once Term 6 rolls around and there is no more MoE, you can push me around, but right now... }:-) devil grin.
Old October 16, 2002, 18:05   #10
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

If we not just finished a huge war, I would say fine, invade France, conquer them, they deserve it, its a good idea; HOWEVER, I am INFINIETLY DISMAYED at the discussion of annexation of England, and the immeadiate preparation for ANOTHER war on France! I am outraged, I am flabbergasted, I am furious!

NO MORE WAR!

Apolyton does NOT need to become a bloated over-expansist state. Not only is it uncalled for, but it is a potential disater. We are running a Democracy game. I fear that with too much land and too many units to command, the game will lose all interest.

NO MORE WAR!

I will no longer intervene in this thread with unreasonable protests to the planning of the war, I will not protest until the plans come up for vote; however, I will make every effort to point out potential flaws in the plan that I see, and perhaps I will even add to the plan myself. We'll see what kind of warmonger I can be.

Old October 16, 2002, 18:12   #11
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Woo Hoo - way to go Thud!

(and to think I debated using one of those little red guys)
Old October 16, 2002, 19:14   #12
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

My opinion comes down to this:

In terms of expansionism , I would propose we first send our forces to England. Provided what our objectives would be for that campaign, I think if we conquered the English then we would most certainly own more than 1/4 of the continent (not counting lands beyond the French empire), and that would be a huge sphere to influence and control. That would also allow us to defend (or attack) the Germans on multiple fronts. We would OWN the the Eastern Ocean (as of yet not named by the way)

France (still in expansionist terms) would be smaller territory to overrun, and it would place us at a strategic advantage over the other nations, ie owning the bottleneck of our continent.

In terms of exploration : owning France would be nice. That would give us an ability to project our influence on BOTH western and eastern. The strategic importance of France is that iron and saltpeter (conveniently on our border with them). ENGLAND would probably put us closer to the lost civs however.

Tough call. It's either limited war with France to grab those resources, or an extended (but fairly limited) war against the English for some prime coast cities and a greater sphere of influence.

Hmm.....I choose France. We can't last a long war, especially in a republic. A quick campaign against the French are in our best interests.
Old October 16, 2002, 22:05   #13
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

The French campaign may not be so short if they get saltpeter very soon!!!
Old October 16, 2002, 22:33   #14
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

France!
Old October 17, 2002, 00:41   #15
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

First of all for both wars I like to tie things up and have peace within 8 turns, most likely with england it would be closer to 5. England war would be limited by one simple fact, they have GP and salt peter so our best hope is to take the southern tier of cites and then hold off counter atatcks until turn 5 and negotiations, of course things could go better( i doubt worse considering the forces) and we could go up to London.
With france we would take the cites on the se coast and also the mountain cities, since we need to keep forces for defense the 20 knight attack isn't possible.
Reddawg, this attack isn't imminent it is at least 10 turns away and probably closer to 15 or more. This thread is simply a brainstorm for the attack IF it should take place and a place to announce your preference.
Aggie
Old October 17, 2002, 00:51   #16
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Peace Renegotiations
My current plans are to renegotiate peace with everyone except France in 670AD.

I am renegotiating with England unless there's a massive outcry against it. They're currently a major importer of our spices and good for our economy. I would suggest that if we went to war with England, we hold off until after Cavalry ... or you talk the nation into doing it NOW before they have a lot of Musketeers.

But time is short for such decisions.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 17, 2002, 03:37   #17
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Togas is right, England helps our economy enough to be important to us right now. I think the French need to go down.
Old October 17, 2002, 03:51   #18
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Thud

NO MORE WAR!
NO MORE WAR!

That, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call war weariness. Down with Republic and Democracy! God save the King... erm, or later the Great Chairman. Just kidding .
Old October 17, 2002, 03:58   #19
Shiber
Emperor

Can you simply not renegotiate a peace treaty without declaring war in the process in 1.21? If you can't then we'll either have to postpone the war by 20 additional turns or attack when the treaty expires.
I'm at school right now. Could someone please check this?
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 17, 2002, 04:30   #20
Meshelic
King

Sir Ralph you know you want to go commie, you know it!!!

Old October 17, 2002, 05:21   #21
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Thud said it all.
Old October 17, 2002, 13:51   #22
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Can you simply not renegotiate a peace treaty without declaring war in the process in 1.21? If you can't then we'll either have to postpone the war by 20 additional turns or attack when the treaty expires.
I'm at school right now. Could someone please check this?
you can leave the peace treaty alone for a long time, but if we don't renegotiate for it, we get nothing extra in return.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:08   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:27
I see France as the only immediate war need. Anyone else is not as crucial to our development.

France's two saltpeter are on our doorstep and those are THE commodity to trade during this era. Ships and ground forces require it.

I feel it is time to absorb ALL of France.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:12   #24
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Quote:
I feel it is time to absorb ALL of France.
"Your feelings serve you well Ghengis Farb, but don't let them cloud you judgement"

Old October 17, 2002, 14:45   #25
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by zeit

"Your feelings serve you well Ghengis Farb, but don't let them cloud you judgement"

Well we NEED Rheims as its a threat to our security and is a dangerous staging area for a French suprise attack.

We should take the two saltpeter as its cost effective and the money and strategic advantage from controlling FOUR of the single most strategic resource of this period is incalcuable.

Which leaves us with several French cities and France a mere speck so we might as well take the whole thing since at that point we would never have to worry about flips or riots as their civ wouldn't exist anymore.

Simply logic.
Old October 17, 2002, 14:57   #26
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

I heartly agree, GF, and already commented on this issue on the previous War academy thread, My quot was nothing but humor.
Old October 17, 2002, 15:05   #27
joncnunn
Emperor

Might it be better to simply sit of the extra Saltpeters during the Middle Ages and NOT sell them, thereby insuring that at least one Civ won't be able to upgrade Spears/Pikes to MusketMen ?
Old October 17, 2002, 15:06   #28
zeit
King

my reflection on the war with france from my previous Academy thread:

-The way i see it, a war with france has two sides- on one hand- they are weak, and we'd take their cities easily, sue early for peace, etc. This will also give us the extra saltpeter, and, IMO more important- give us a GA, which in this stage of development is crucial and most benefitial.
France is also, compared to Germany, the 'weakest kid in block' and as we always used to pick on the weak and rip the profits, we might as well do it again.
On the other hand- and this is absolotely right- we have much better things to do right now with our lytons and our production, and somehow this war doesn't see all that necessary and worthwhile, and the terrain is disadvantageous for our knights.

I would have agreed to postpone such an opperation until further notice if not for two main reasons:

1)The frenchies have saltpeter but no gunpowder- and in the next 10 turns are not expected to raise enough for the creation of strong musketeer force, and this is our chance.

2)The GA we (at least I) crave for is just around the corner, and we won't get a much better chance for using our WC against a bunch of lowly warriors and swordmen
Old October 17, 2002, 15:16   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Might it be better to simply sit of the extra Saltpeters during the Middle Ages and NOT sell them, thereby insuring that at least one Civ won't be able to upgrade Spears/Pikes to MusketMen ?
Saltpeter is only dominent for a specific period. I don't think riflemen require saltpeter for some reason and I know Infantry does not require it.
Old October 17, 2002, 15:38   #30
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Aggie, what cities are you planning to take? Are there some that will depend on the results of the first turns of the war? Could you provide an outline of your plans for the war? What your overall objectives would be? I'm assuming that you will leave France somewat intact with just a few cities left.

What are your plans if one of the other Civs desides to help France, depending on which one?

E_T