Old October 16, 2002, 20:41   #1
baldrat60
Settler

Local Time: 09:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Welsh/welsh/welsh
I just went to play CTP2 with the super apolyton mod and to my disgust you yanks have decided to take wales out of the mod.Do you even know were wales is.Or is it a case of ignorance as is the norm with americans.Wales has in the case of military respect many wars and large battles in its past yet you deem them unworthy please could i have an explanation????
Old October 16, 2002, 22:22   #2
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Nawww....we Americans aren't ignorant! I happen to know for a FACT that Welchs makes *fantastic* jellies and jams!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old October 16, 2002, 22:47   #3
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
*PSSSSSSSSSST*

Don't tell him the maker of SAP was an Aussie.

EDIT: BTW, to answer the question, if you want the Welsh back, do this:

1. Go to directory \Call to Power 2\ctp2_data\gamedata\default\
2. Open the file APOL_gamefile.txt in notepad
3. Find the line "APOL_civilization.txt"
4. Change to "civilization.txt"

This will restore the original CTP2 civs. I'm pretty sure this'll work with no problems, but you won't get the diplo-photos.

Last edited by Dale; October 16, 2002 at 23:01.
Old October 17, 2002, 02:45   #4
centrifuge
Call to Power PBEMCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 02:28
Re: Welsh/welsh/welsh
Quote:
Originally posted by baldrat60
Or is it a case of ignorance as is the norm with americans.
UMM, uhh, uhh...(twiddles thumbs and stares blankly, with a big dumb look on his face)
Old October 17, 2002, 08:48   #5
baldrat60
Settler

Taffs r us
Austrailian well im am shocked considering a large area of austrailia is known as new South Wales ignorance is not an excuse.Oh and sorry Americans but as a general rule you usually think of the United Kingdom as England .But the fact remains England is only part of the Uk with Wales being the most cultured And now having the best football team.The rest pale into insignificance.
Old October 17, 2002, 11:58   #6
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
Re: Taffs r us
Quote:
Originally posted by baldrat60
But the fact remains England is only part of the Uk with Wales being the most cultured...
Anne Robinson might have something to say about that

Being such an ardent Welshmen Im sure you can speak fluent Welsh, no?
Old October 17, 2002, 12:02   #7
baldrat60
Settler

Welsh
you know the answer to that scum.I was only taught welsh till 14 it is now compulsory in schools to do a GCSE in Welsh .this is not to say i cant speak welsh as i have taken it up on my own time and am guite competent but reading is a little problem but i get by.
Old October 17, 2002, 12:36   #8
centrifuge
Prince

baldrat60, first I'd like to say welcome. It's always good to have new people here in the CTP2 forums. The more the merrier. Secondly, as an American, you can surely understand that calling me and all of my countrymen ignorant can be taken as nothing short of insulting. ...but, there lies the rub... if being cultured means that I have to be insulting, then I believe that I'd prefer to be ignorant.

I do however understand your point, many Americans are not educated on the rest of the world so assumptions are made, as well as generalizations. This however goes both ways, much the rest of the world is not educated on America either, they know what they've seen on their TV, read in their papers, or overheard at the pub...this also causes generalizations and misconceptions.

Last edited by centrifuge; October 17, 2002 at 14:04.
Old October 17, 2002, 13:01   #9
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Shhhh! Don't spoil it, Cent! Talk like that might raise suspicions that not all Americans are gun-toting cowboys who chew tobacco, smoke two-packs a day while guzzling beer and driving their fuel-inefficient autos, (d'oh....and I forgot the part about bein' rednecks who can barely spell their names! )

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Last edited by Velociryx; October 17, 2002 at 16:15.
Old October 17, 2002, 13:04   #10
centrifuge
Prince

Oops

Old October 17, 2002, 16:48   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

The Celts are in there.
Old October 17, 2002, 17:24   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:28
Baldrat60,
Hmm, why do I get the sneaking suspicion you vote Plaid Cymru?

Anyway: Hi, welcome on these boards! Like centrifuge said, the more people the merrier, so it's good to see you post here. We got all sorts of people here: laid back Australians, ignorant Americans, crazy Dutch folk... a proud Welshman like you will fit right in...

Anyway, be that as it may, there's no reason to call people 'ignorant' or 'scum' just because you don't share the same preferences as them. Wales has a very interesting history but so do about 300 other civilizations. CtP2 really only has room for 40 civs or so (63 if you use a little trick), so choices have to be made. Some (like you) may like the Welsh better, others may prefer the Celts, the Anasazi, the Zimbabweans, the Champa, the Texans or some other civ - to name but a few examples. Noone ever said Wales is unworthy, it's just that there's so many other civs that are also worthy. Heck, there's even a mod out there that has a civ called Apolyton. The city names of it can be found back in this thread as well: Dale, Immortal Wombat, Locutus, etc... Personally I think that's silly, but hey, if that's what some people like... That's why we have the mods: if you don't like one particular selection, you just use another (like Dale showed you), or make your own (like I'm doing myself).

Vel,
You mean there are actually Americans who *can* spell their own name?
Old October 17, 2002, 17:35   #13
Velociryx
staff

Erm....well, that's the rumor....

-=Vail=-
(SP?)
Old October 17, 2002, 17:51   #14
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

rumour
Old October 17, 2002, 18:15   #15
baldrat60
Settler

????
I must mention that in the respect of americans i dont refer to gun toting rednecks at least thats not the what ive seen.What i meant was either Tourists or the general over the top outlandish america is best attitude
of a lot of the ppl There.I dont mean to get into a big debate but ive been to a few places in the states and the majority of ppl have either said "Wales is that the little strip on the top of england"or "Wales is that in England"or perhaps the oddest "Is that were guiness comes from".I mean do they teach in School about britain or do they just call it England.
And yes i do vote Plaid and thanks for wlcoming me to the board.
Old October 17, 2002, 18:16   #16
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
(like I'm doing myself).
Old October 17, 2002, 18:48   #17
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Croeso baldrat60 to the CTP2 forums.
I too carry the scar of english retribution, i am the first generation on my mothers side not to be fluent.
At least the kids now get to know their mother tongue, and hopefully this trend will continue.
Be nice here please, i have yet to find one regular that deserves the lashing of a proud bardic tradition tongue!
Dale has suggested a fix(which i shall try asap ), for his oversight . And that is pretty much how it goes around here - you got a suggestion then just ask and most people will try to help you out. We are all good types here(even the 'spit' english ones )
Nos da.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old October 17, 2002, 19:35   #18
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:28
I'm with COT. Play nice, and people play nice with you.

And BTW Baldrat, I don't live in New South Wales, and it's got nothing to do with Wales except for the name. Oh, and I'd also like to point out my fiance is from Cardiff. So I'm not the total ignorant Aussie that you may think I am.

Locutus:

Quote:
crazy Dutch folk
One of my friends is from Holland, and let's just say that fits her perfectly! As well as being a stoner.
Old October 17, 2002, 19:56   #19
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
the total ignorant Aussie
totally - "ly" ending.

*tips hat to Alistair McGowan*