Old October 17, 2002, 00:19   #1
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:28
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Unspoken Rules
Apologies if this is covered in some FAQ, but I couldn't find one dealing with this topic.

While working on the latest segment of my story (shameless plug: the "America" ones ) there were several points where I considered dialogue that might contain some explicit language, but ultimately decided to sanitize it for fear of offending anyone. Likewise, some scenes ended up being written differently than I would have originally preferred to preserve a "PG" rating.

So the question I pose is what is the appropriate level of "matureness" or "adultness" for posted stories. I'm using this term to refer to the general concept of content for adult audiences as opposed to pr0n. For example, would a story with a scene that contained drug abuse be deemed too mature? I certainly recognize that this is ultimately a game forum and that young readers are definitely involved. I'm interested in hearing the general opinion of readers and writers (and moderators?).
Old October 17, 2002, 00:24   #2
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 03:28
Maybe you could put a rating in the title. Or in the first post. Saying something to the extent:

Rated R:
Drug abuse
Adult themes
Violence

Of course, I think those whom this is intended to scare away might not care too much about that... An opinion of a moderator would be interesting though.
Spore page
Old October 17, 2002, 07:40   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
I think if you read the sites rules it would make it clearer for you what you can or cannot post,think theyre in the FAQ somewhere,hopes this helps and looking forward to the next story.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 18, 2002, 00:50   #4
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:28
Yeah, I looked but I couldn't find anything. The search engine comes up with regular civ faqs.
Old October 18, 2002, 03:01   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:28
Sorry mate try the apolyton community page and ask someone there I think a lot of the moderators hang out there and MarkG goes in the chat room a lot or post a question on civmans nes good luck.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 23, 2002, 22:55   #6
Dom Pedro II
King

Local Time: 09:28
You're okay with some explicit language... People in almost all forums use some (mild) profanity on occasion. As long as you don't have like long lines of the F-word, you should be ok.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...
Old October 24, 2002, 08:48   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 05:28
Im not a mod or anything, so its not really up to me, but i wouldnt worry about a bit of explicit language. Just put a bit of a warning or something, and dotn go overbored with it.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:26   #8
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 11:28
i don't know if this can help, but look at X) and XI)

http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=4#37

personally, i don't mind offensive language as long as you don't insult existing persons