View Poll Results: Should there be a new Civ3 expansion?
Yes! Good heavens, YES!!! 47 72.31%
Nah, it's all good. 3 4.62%
I really don't care, but I voted anyway. 8 12.31%
Civ2 had WAY too many expansions, so, I don't know about all this... 7 10.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17, 2002, 13:56   #1
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 03:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should there be another Civ3 Expansion?
Should there be another expansion by Firaxis? Are there even more features you would like to see? More civs? More units? More, more, more?!

Or are you content?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 17, 2002, 14:30   #2
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:30
PTW still doesn't support scripting of scenarios and related stuff, so I guess there will be something like "fantastic worlds" for civ 2
Old October 17, 2002, 14:53   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 11:30
Naahh...since there's not much to add, without having to change the whole game...

So I'd say, they should start making a Civ4...
Old October 17, 2002, 15:56   #4
Raion
Prince

Well, here's a screen shot from Gamespot of the Editor in Play the World. Includes description --
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters...0.html?page=43

Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civeditordescriptionscreen.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	27206  
Old October 17, 2002, 17:19   #5
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 11:30
How about an expansion that is all about expanded diplomacy? I think that is the only thing the game will lack when PTW is out.
Old October 17, 2002, 19:09   #6
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

What-no Banana?!?!

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.

P.S: I most definitely voted YES!!!!!
Old October 17, 2002, 19:18   #7
pg
Prince

Local Time: 04:30
i'd really like a completely revamped robust design for civ4 instead of another expansion.
Old October 17, 2002, 20:25   #8
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

The game can support 31 civs, and they have only expanded it to 24 so far.

I voted yes. I would like to see some of the various changes that have been mentioned and not implemented yet.

It took quite a while to get Civ 3 out, so I expect Civ 4 a long way down the pike, 4 years maybe longer.
Old October 17, 2002, 20:31   #9
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

No. If I still had Civ3, I wouldnt want to pay even MORE for the game....

50 (civ3) + 30 (PtW) = 80 + 30 (eXpansion) = 110!!! Thats *way* too much for a game....
Old October 17, 2002, 20:46   #10
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

yes, definately

more civs, more options, better scenario capability
yes

30 bucks is a small price to pay for an expansion that keeps the game fresh, which is what PTW will do as will the followup(s)
Old October 17, 2002, 21:02   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yep.

Can you say, 'Modern Era' and 'Scenario Wish List'?
Old October 17, 2002, 21:16   #12
WarpStorm
King

Hey, as long as they add more to it than I can add in an hour or so I'll gladly buy a new expansion. Time value of money and opportunity cost and all that economics crap I forgot immediately after the test 20 years ago.
Old October 17, 2002, 21:44   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Hmm...Well, I suppose I just dont have the cash to burn I once did spend 100 for a game.....but it definately wasn't worth it.
Old October 17, 2002, 22:14   #14
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Definitely so, more civs, more features, etc.
I would like to see at least 6 new civs, and I would prefer those six to be the following.
Hebrews
Inca
Byzantines
Mali/Ethiopia
Dutch
Khmer/Poles/Portugese

NYE is right that an expanded modern age would be wonderful! As well as new diplomatic features.
Old October 17, 2002, 22:45   #15
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Hmm...Well, I suppose I just dont have the cash to burn I once did spend 100 for a game.....but it definately wasn't worth it.
curious, may I ask what game?

on topic: an improved modern age would be great

I would also love to have the ToT map levels
Old October 17, 2002, 23:39   #16
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 05:30
keep churnin em out and il buy. im not rich, but i can afford $30 every 6 months/1 year/2 years

Old October 18, 2002, 02:03   #17
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good point jdd. Far less than most people spend on an evening out.
Old October 18, 2002, 03:05   #18
Andydog
Civilization IV PBEMIron Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
I voted yes.

The game still has a great deal of potential imho.

- more advanced scenario capability;
- future eras (including the possibility of sea cities, underwater tunnels, etc)
- more civs
- more tile improvements (e.g. advanced farms, deep mines, mag levs, canals)
- enhanced diplomacy

I'd certainly pay for another XP if all these were developed to a high standard. I imagine a game like Civ3 that incorporates all the above would take a huge amount of time & money to develop. I don't mind paying for that.
Old October 18, 2002, 04:49   #19
monkspider
King

Some of the Firaxis guys have hinted in chats that we will likely see at least one more XP.
So, unless PTW totally bombs, I would bet good money on it happening.
Old October 18, 2002, 04:56   #20
notyoueither
Deity

I think publishers judge possible future sales on past sales.

It makes sense.
Old October 19, 2002, 00:32   #21
monkspider
King

Exactly NYE, since CIV III was such a glowing sucess at least a second XP seems almost a shoe-in. But let's wait for some offical talk from Firaxis HQ.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:16   #22
WarpStorm
King

Firaxis should take a lesson from The Sims and just crank out those expansions. (This is serious)

Or even better, EverQuest. They can charge you for the expansions and to play them. (This is not)
Old October 19, 2002, 21:25   #23
marc420
Warlord

Well, I'm sure if the bunch at Firaxis can find more ways to screw their fans out of money, then there will be more expansions.

Hey, with another expansion they can get up to close to $100 out of their fans for the release of a game.

Nice system, release a game for Christmas one year that is so buggy that when its given as a Christmas give its unplayable until springtime. Then hold out a key element of the game (like how many other non-multiplayer games to you see these days) and which had already been in previous versions of the game. Hold this part out to the following Christmas, so you can sucker people out of money two years in a row.

If Firaxis track record holds true to form, then this MP expansion will be so buggy that no one will be able to play a multiplayer game until springtime anyways.

Since there are few new ideas coming out of Firaxis for the Civ series, I'd expect that you'll see another "expansion" for Civ III out next year. They'll probably bundle up some other Civs that are already out on the Internet, add one new feature to the game, then try to sucker another $20 out of us all next Christmas as well.

You've convinced me of one thing. If you do ever do a Civ4, I'm not buying it when it comes out. I know now that the first release will be a buggy test version that will be missing key features. Then you'll do an "expansion pack" to that game, which will finally add all the features. Even that will be released at a sucker price of full price for the original game plus more for the expansion pack. Only later will a combo pack of the expansion pack and the full game be offered for the price of one game. Its at this point that I'll only even start to consider buying your next product. And probably even then I'll try to wait for this combo pack to reach the discount bins before buying it.

I hate to ***** at you guys, and I hate to have to take this sort of strategy towards dealing with you. But you "screw-the-suckers-out-of-every-penny" marketing policy toward your games forces me to think and act this way.
Old October 20, 2002, 00:37   #24
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by marc420
Well, I'm sure if the bunch at Firaxis can find more ways to screw their fans out of money, then there will be more expansions.
How is Firaxis screwing you out of money? Are they forcing you to buy the game?

Quote:
Hey, with another expansion they can get up to close to $100 out of their fans for the release of a game.
See: The Sims; AoE; etc. Any sucessful game will spawn expansions. Is this your first PC game?

How much would you spend if you bought all the sims expansions at original price. Much more than 100, I would imagine.

Quote:
Nice system, release a game for Christmas one year that is so buggy that when its given as a Christmas give its unplayable until springtime.
How was it unplayable at Christmas? My copy worked fine. I think it crashed once or twice since I've had it.

Quote:
Then hold out a key element of the game (like how many other non-multiplayer games to you see these days) and which had already been in previous versions of the game.
Hmm.

The Sims (I hate to use that as an example) is mp only through expansion, correct? I don't see any need to point out other examples, I think the best selling game of all time (or whatever) speaks for itself as far as SP games are concerned.

Quote:
Hold this part out to the following Christmas, so you can sucker people out of money two years in a row.
You didn't have to buy it last year, and you don't have to buy the Xp this year.

Quote:
If Firaxis track record holds true to form, then this MP expansion will be so buggy that no one will be able to play a multiplayer game until springtime anyways.
People have already played it MP-look at the various reviews, comments from the creators, etc.

Quote:
Since there are few new ideas coming out of Firaxis for the Civ series,
Why don't you drop your resume via email to Firaxis, I'm sure they could use you and your new ideas for the genre.

Quote:
I'd expect that you'll see another "expansion" for Civ III out next year. They'll probably bundle up some other Civs that are already out on the Internet, add one new feature to the game, then try to sucker another $20 out of us all next Christmas as well.
How are they suckering you out of money when you know exactly what it is and you still purchase it?

Quote:
You've convinced me of one thing. If you do ever do a Civ4, I'm not buying it when it comes out. I know now that the first release will be a buggy test version that will be missing key features.
Key features missing? Like? Have the other Civ games come packaged with MP? Did the box say that it had MP?

Quote:
I hate to ***** at you guys, and I hate to have to take this sort of strategy towards dealing with you. But you "screw-the-suckers-out-of-every-penny" marketing policy toward your games forces me to think and act this way.
Sigh. I'm sure that Firaxis will mourn their loss of you as a customer. Do you know how many patches they've put out? Do you know how many chats they've had with this forum and others? They obviously care about how the consumer feels about their game. You previously claimed that all games these days comes with MP. Likewise, I would reiterate that most sucessful games these days spawn expansion packs. This is a fact of life of today's industry.

Bottom line: Firaxis isn't forcing you to buy the game.
Old October 20, 2002, 00:46   #25
monkspider
King

Elequently stated Sleepy.
Old October 20, 2002, 01:26   #26
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Thanks asleepathewheel, you saved me a half hour.

And yes, there should be an expansion (AndyDog's suggestions sound juicy ), and yes there will be one. It's as likely we'll see another expansion for Civ III as there will be one at all (and EB just sent me order confirmation on my pre-order ).
Old October 20, 2002, 02:34   #27
Nubclear

Asleep: My first (and only) Star Trek game. Ugh, it sucked horribly....soo many bugs. And it was 100 dollars. Ugh...

Quote:
Originally posted by Andydog
I voted yes.

The game still has a great deal of potential imho.

- more advanced scenario capability;
- future eras (including the possibility of sea cities, underwater tunnels, etc)
- more civs
- more tile improvements (e.g. advanced farms, deep mines, mag levs, canals)
- enhanced diplomacy

I'd certainly pay for another XP if all these were developed to a high standard. I imagine a game like Civ3 that incorporates all the above would take a huge amount of time & money to develop. I don't mind paying for that.
Ya know what, so would i. But unless Im mistaken, all were getting is:

-Some scenario capability
-Multiplayer
-A few more units
-New civs.

IMO, 30 dollars is really not worth it, adding that onto Civ3s cost.....No.

Now, if they were to include ALL those things you mentioned into PtW (to a high standard) then I would DEFINATELY buy it. But the way I see it, theyre not going to. This expansion seems like just another patch with more civs to me, not like a true expansion. Sure, by the time their finished with each and every one of their expansions it'll be a complete game, but....How much money is that going to cost?! I'm not willing for even ONE more because more than one hundred dollars for a game is DEFINATELY not worth it at all.

This is one reason I really do not like The Sims' series. 200 dollars for a game is really not worth it. Sure, some of them actually add something other than objects but most of them are just...junk. But what annoys me most is PEOPLE ACTUALLY BUY THEM ALL. I know people who have bought *ALL* of them plus the Special Offer (The Sims + Livin Large Expansion for only 30 dollars) because the Special Offer has a "Make-A-Sim" creator or something to that nature? Ugh. I sometimes have to sit back and wonder "How stupid can someone get..."

So I dunno. PtW seems like its so watered down...and they'll pull a "The Sims" on us. More and more and more and more and more (literally) expansion packs for us to go out and spend our money on. Cause whats 200 dollars when most people make more...?

Unless Firaxis releases an expansion that has more 'bang for the buck', I'm not buying it. And I really dont see why other people are as well. But hey, thats just my opinion.
Old October 20, 2002, 03:30   #28
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Asleep: My first (and only) Star Trek game. Ugh, it sucked horribly....soo many bugs. And it was 100 dollars. Ugh...
That really sucks, man, I can't imagine blowing 100 on one game. And then it sucks. Jeez.

Quote:
Unless Firaxis releases an expansion that has more 'bang for the buck', I'm not buying it. And I really dont see why other people are as well. But hey, thats just my opinion.
You've raised valid points. I for one have to thank you for doing so in a rational, civil manner.
Old October 20, 2002, 08:15   #29
WarpStorm
King

Quote:

IMO, 30 dollars is really not worth it, adding that onto Civ3s cost.....No.
The simple answer is, don't buy it and don't play it then.

Nobody's forcing you to buy this game.
Old October 20, 2002, 11:56   #30
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

And the funny thing is people always repeat that complaint, but never respond to it. They make it seem like Firaxis is holding them hostage, because they can't get their new civ 'fix', so they complain about it, since they want it, but they want it free. Damn life sucks huh?