Old October 20, 2002, 08:53   #31
=OttomusCeasar=
PtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 09:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
Heh, I would probably break that counter, as I generally have about 7 windows open to this forum.

I also generally abstain from census polls. Just plain lazy. I have allot that I am trying to keep up on, and am generally breaking in here in between doing other things. I don't need to be bothered by a census.
Aha, we have now found the person that causes the "Too many users please try back later" error!
Old October 20, 2002, 12:34   #32
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
We most certainly need a census currently, at least to have a good notion about all the polls going on and the level of participation. A voluntary one is best, though it would have to be heavily announced each time, so no one woul miss or ignore it.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 20, 2002, 18:58   #33
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:31
I don't think anyone should be 'forced' into a census, nothing like "oh you didn't do this, so you're outta the game!", but in the end everything is voluntary. Coming to Apolyton is voluntary.

How about a census (not mandatory or required) but a census just to tally the number of active members, whereas 'active' basically means "yes i reply to posts, I lend my voice, or vote in polls".... and if nobody wants to be a part of it, then no big deal.

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
We most certainly need a census currently, at least to have a good notion about all the polls going on and the level of participation.
I think GePap is absolutely right in this statement. Just for the purpose of polling and knowing how many are turning out and how many aren't, I think a general and simple census is a good idea.
Old October 20, 2002, 19:49   #34
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

No problems with a census for informational purposes Meshelic. No law against it.

My posts earlier were regarding tendencies of late to use lists of some sort to restrict the number of people involved in the process of decision making for the game.

The law is clear. Join and have fun, or not. Your choice. I am not in favour of monkeying with that.
Old October 20, 2002, 21:53   #35
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I have no problem with a census once per term if its only "official" purpose is to determine what the quorum for senate votes is for the term, and not who can participate or vote. (for this purpose a simple, Senate Roll-call poll labeled "I am here for this term" would certainely suffice)

I suspect we have alot of pseudo-active people following the game who might easily miss a vote or two (such as the census) but who otherwise want to participate as much as their time allows. I think I'd fall into that category
Old October 20, 2002, 22:12   #36
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:31
No I had no intention at all to exclude anyone who didn't want to submit to a census. That's not something I'd condone at all!

For information purposes only, of course. what other purpose does a census serve other than that?

If other people have misused polls or census's (is that right grammar? don't think so...) then I understand people's wariness on this issue. I wasn't there, so I don't know.

Quote:
Originally posted by wervdon

I suspect we have alot of pseudo-active people following the game who might easily miss a vote or two (such as the census) but who otherwise want to participate as much as their time allows. I think I'd fall into that category
Point taken. I'm sure there are many who can't participate regularly, as personal life can't always allow it.