Old October 17, 2002, 21:58   #1
MosesPresley
Prince

Local Time: 04:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ROP double standard
In a recent game the Egyptians and the Aztecs both invaded me during a ROP agreement. The Egyptians also snuck attack me on another occasion. If my civ had done this, I would not be able to get another ROP with anyone without paying an exorbitant amount and I would only be able to afford, at most, one ROP. The AI civs on the other hand were able to maintain their ROPs regardless of their total disdain for the meaning of the treaty.

My beef is: Why is this double standard allowed. It is very unfair. I know that they aren't paying a huge amount to maintain the ROPs as Egypt and the Aztecs in this case kept renewing their ROPs with every other civ on the map, until late in the game.

"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old October 17, 2002, 23:39   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

you seem mad that they broke the rop, and i bet you wont make another one with them this game.

i don't see a double standard at all
Old October 17, 2002, 23:58   #3
MosesPresley
Prince

Maybe I wasn't clear. All of the other AI civs are still making ROP agreements with the ROP breakers. If you, that is the human player, breaks an ROP agreement, it will cost you everything you have to get a new ROP agreement. What I am saying is that the AI isn't charging each other the appropriate amount for a known ROP breaker.

(I'm taking a painkiller for my kidney stone, so I am sorry if this may not be as coherent as it should be.)
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Old October 18, 2002, 00:52   #4
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:31
look, the game is really you against the rest. It is pretty simple really. The other covs are encouraged to work together.
Old October 18, 2002, 00:57   #5
MosesPresley
Prince

I'm aware of that Sean, BUT the computer should be playing by the same rules as the humans, except for its production bonuses and whatever else it gets on the higher levels.
Old October 18, 2002, 02:58   #6
bongo
lifer
PtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafPtWDG Neu DemogypticaCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeIron CiversC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
The AI can be very forgiving it it really need to. Which means that if you happen to be #1 in power they will happily ally with anyone.
Old October 18, 2002, 03:06   #7
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:31
Sean, you are not right. Civ3 is everything but you vs. the rest of the world (as a team). This has been discussed thousand of times here. Most people agree that the AI civs do not act cooperatively to defeat the human player (unless he is the natural target... like being #1 or being a weak civ ripe for wipeout...). In my games, I usually manage to avoid most (unwanted) wars and just make the best use of that the AIs fight each other. I swear I have never experienced AIs to gang up on me without a good reason (different from that I was a human).

OTOH, I do agree that what Moses describes is a flaw. An ROP breaker should suffer the same rep hit irrespective of if he is the human or an AI.

Last edited by vondrack; October 18, 2002 at 08:16.
Old October 18, 2002, 07:45   #8
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:31
Vondrack is right. Sometimes the AI attacks me, but rarely without reason. Either I'm too weak or too powerful or some other causes, but not because I'm human. Sometimes they have a huge miltary buildup and want to attack somebody and sometimes I am the one who they hate the most (which is logical, because I never trade as much with them as ather AI civs and usually don't accept outrageous offers like 3 luxuries and 2 techs for one luxury). If I reload one turn earlier and bribe them with 50$ they attack somebody else the next turn.
I had games when the world was a living hell, everybody fighting eveybody, while I kept myself neutral and avoided wars until I wanted to.
--Woody Allen
Old October 18, 2002, 08:16   #9
Zachriel
King

Local Time: 05:31
The level doesn't directly affect AI attitude, but it does indirectly. On higher levels, you will generally have fewer units (at least until the Industrial Age), which means you will be perceived as weak. In addition, your money is discounted, so everything costs more. It is sort of like paying in Mexican Pesos or Brazilian Reals, rather than U.S. Dollars or British Pounds.

The fact that some players can win a One City Challenge, avoiding war nearly the whole game, indicates it is a question of choices made during the course of the game.
Old October 18, 2002, 11:31   #10
HazieDaVampire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
(I'm taking a painkiller for my kidney stone, so I am sorry if this may not be as coherent as it should be.)
lol, when i had my operation most of what i said didn't make much sense, i was also incredibly pissed off all the time.
Old October 18, 2002, 11:41   #11
MosesPresley
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by HazieDaVampire

lol, when i had my operation most of what i said didn't make much sense, i was also incredibly pissed off all the time.
I heard that!
This medicine makes me irritable and nasty.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old October 18, 2002, 11:51   #12
HazieDaVampire
King

no, my agresion was from recent brain surgury, my pills made me slow and friendly, but i didn't make much sense, i think this was when i first joined the forum!
Old October 18, 2002, 12:21   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:31
hmm,it's probably the forums fault for making you slow
Old October 18, 2002, 12:48   #14
HazieDaVampire
King

i remember it was the first week or so of the DEMO game, i remember getting a little worried cuz i didn't get to post anything cuz of maths and hostpital!