View Poll Results: Do you use the Directory?
Yes, and can't live without it. 10 50.00%
Yes, but could live without it. 3 15.00%
No, but think it's useful for new players. 5 25.00%
No, and see no use. 1 5.00%
No, but would if something else was added. (Please Post) 0 0%
Abstain 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 18, 2002, 23:09   #1
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Directory Comments Thread and Poll
Hi everyone!
I'm getting ready to start this term's directory thread. First, let me apologize for the current state of the directory. For various reasons, including Real Life, the Con Con, and other in-game committments, the directory has fallen out of date. There's no one to blame but myself, and I'm hoping to wipe the slate clean and keep on top of things this turn . I've put an informal poll up so I can get an idea about how useful people think the directory is. This is purely informal and unofficial, and I plan to do the Directory anyway (at least for this term), so feel free to tell the truth .

First things first, I have not been contacted by Arnelos, MWIA or anyone else saying that they want to either A) Do the directory, or B) Split it somehow, so I've decided to take it on again (unless one of the aforementioned should happen). If anyone is interested in working on the Directory (even just by helping me keep on top of things and submitting threads), please PM me and let me know . Furthermore, if any Minister would like to do his own section in the directory, this is very possible -- each section is in a different post, and the format is standardized, so I'd just send you the format and you'd have to post at the appropriate time. If any ministers are interested in doing this, let me know.

First things first, here's what I plan to change for this term.
* Each Ministry will have its own section, including the Board of Territorial Development (having one section for the whole thing got to be hard).
* I plan to put a few FAQ type bullet items in the first post (the stuff UnOrthO's been asking for). If anyone can present a more comprehensive FAQ to me, I'd be happy to include it -- just let me know.
* I've written a small javascript bookmark that greatly simplifies the task of linking to threads (currently designed for Poly-Fourms only). If I can get the current version stable and impliment a few more things I like, I'll probably be making it public, mainly for the benefit of the other directories on the forum but also for anyone who'd like it. Just a quick heads up on what I plan to be working on.

Secondly, what I'd like to know from others.
* Do you use the Directory? Answered within the poll above. (Feel free to say no -- I understand).
* If so, what do you use it for? (Looking up old threads, seeing what's up on the boards, etc?)
* Is there anything you'd like to see added?
* If there is a "Submit Threads Here" thread, would you be willing to submit stuff in general? Would you submit any threads that you create?
* Would anyone be willing to help in any other ways?

Just trying to get a bit of feedback before I start putting the directory up (probably sometime over the weekend).

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 00:23   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:35
What?! We have a directorary?...what is this mysyerious creature that you speak of?
Old October 19, 2002, 06:47   #3
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:35
The directory is a great idea, but has a few minor problems that prevent it from reaching its full potential.

Firstly the table of contents. The links don't work.
Rather than bouncing you around to the various sections of that thread, they instead send you to the forum main-page. To be honest, I just tried a few of the links and gave up before realising that they were supposed to link to different parts of the thread.

Secondly, there is no "New Apolytonian" package to help recently joined people from understanding the current situation our empire is in, the large number of acronyms in use, etc. For those recently joined, there is no overview available, just fragmented in-depth reviews.
This is akin to attempting to learn quantum mechanics before even learning basic physics.
To sum up the above rambling: It would be very helpful to have an overview section and a faq.

By an overview section I mean a map current world map, basic facts that every citizen should know like what government we are and foreign empires we are at war with. Nothing in-depth.
Old October 19, 2002, 07:19   #4
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:35
And how many new players do we have? If I suspect correctly, that number is probably a bit below ten people...... of course those ten people should know what's going on, but they also have every opportunity to find out. -> like the Foreign Minister's weekly post, the state of the nation. As well as Reddawg's graphs, and Aro's maps to use as reference...well, if I can join and immediately know what's going on (like I did when I first joined) then EVERYONE else should at least have a clue of what's going on, because well I'm pretty retarded in the end, and if someone else can't figure out something I can, then something's wrong, or they havne't been playing enough CIV3....
Old October 19, 2002, 07:20   #5
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:35
If the above didn't make sense, then it's probably due to too much Apolyton wine. Man that stuff can make a man drunk as...well nevermind. Doesn't matter....
Old October 19, 2002, 07:21   #6
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:35
Absolutely right, Skanky, When i first came here i thought i'd find some clue as to what is going on in the directory, but sadly this wasn't so. Some historical overview, an acronym dictionary and general explanation as to how things work around in this DG.
Old October 19, 2002, 07:45   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

I'm not asking to be spoon-fed information, but us new people need some sort of framework to build up our world-view in. Hell, I would be happy with the directory having the additions of only this page: http://www.arociv.com/Maps.html, and a faq with acronyms and a general overview of things. I know that in a few weeks the acronyms will be a second nature to me, but I could still use some help making that transition, as would most of the new people.

Quote:
and Aro's maps to use as reference
These aren't linked to in the directory, and I only found out about them by stumbling across a link in an old thread.
I think that highlights my point amply.
Old October 19, 2002, 10:46   #8
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

First things first, thanks to everyone for their comments. I'll respond to comments from other posts in other posts.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
The directory is a great idea, but has a few minor problems that prevent it from reaching its full potential.

Firstly the table of contents. The links don't work.
Rather than bouncing you around to the various sections of that thread, they instead send you to the forum main-page. To be honest, I just tried a few of the links and gave up before realising that they were supposed to link to different parts of the thread.
Um -- I've never heard that before . Does anyone else have this problem? The links work for me, have always worked for me, and have worked for others as well. (The SMAC and Civ2 Demogames have even coppied the linking, and I'm sure at least UnOrthO tried it when it was brand new. To be honest, I've never even HEARD of this before . Skanky -- Could you tell me what browser you're using (doubt it's the problem, but gotta ask), and (if possible) right click on one of the links and choose "Copy Link Location" or "Copy Shortcut" and then paste that into this thread? I honestly can't see how that could be affecting things, and have no clue how you're getting redirected to the front page even if the links themselves were broken. I'll look into it, and if anyone else is having this problem please do let me know.

Quote:
Secondly, there is no "New Apolytonian" package to help recently joined people from understanding the current situation our empire is in, the large number of acronyms in use, etc. For those recently joined, there is no overview available, just fragmented in-depth reviews.
This is akin to attempting to learn quantum mechanics before even learning basic physics.
To sum up the above rambling: It would be very helpful to have an overview section and a faq.
I agree in full . UnOrthO always wanted to put together a FAQ, and I decided to have at least a few bullet points in the Directory to help new players. From the comments in this thread, however, I realize that more is needed. Over this term, I'll be making a directory section with an FAQ, essential links, and some short descriptions of basic parts of the game.

Quote:
By an overview section I mean a map current world map, basic facts that every citizen should know like what government we are and foreign empires we are at war with. Nothing in-depth.
I'd be willing to put one together, but I'd probably link to the relevent threads that are kept up to date. For instance, I'd have to play with figuring out if I could post a current map or not (depending on how Aro does it), but I would have a link to his site either way. The Foreign Ministry keeps an up to date list of our status with other nations, and I'd probably link directly to that post for such information, though I could keep it right there if anyone thinks it'd be better.

Again, thanks for the feedback, and please, keep it coming .

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 10:51   #9
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I'm not asking to be spoon-fed information, but us new people need some sort of framework to build up our world-view in. Hell, I would be happy with the directory having the additions of only this page: http://www.arociv.com/Maps.html, and a faq with acronyms and a general overview of things. I know that in a few weeks the acronyms will be a second nature to me, but I could still use some help making that transition, as would most of the new people.

Quote:
and Aro's maps to use as reference
These aren't linked to in the directory, and I only found out about them by stumbling across a link in an old thread.
I think that highlights my point amply.
I guess I need to work on moving stuff around a bit so new players can find it easier. The Tutorial and Lexicon to the Democracy Game is at the very very top of the directory (even above the table of contents) and outlines acronyms and etc. for new players. 'Aro's map site' is under the Executive section of the directory, though it clearly needs to be moved to a more public location. (Right now, I put ALL game reports under the Executive Section, but I plan to change this for next term, since the number of periodical reports are increasing ).

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 10:56   #10
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
And how many new players do we have? If I suspect correctly, that number is probably a bit below ten people...... of course those ten people should know what's going on, but they also have every opportunity to find out. -> like the Foreign Minister's weekly post, the state of the nation. As well as Reddawg's graphs, and Aro's maps to use as reference...well, if I can join and immediately know what's going on (like I did when I first joined) then EVERYONE else should at least have a clue of what's going on, because well I'm pretty retarded in the end, and if someone else can't figure out something I can, then something's wrong, or they havne't been playing enough CIV3....
The Directory is designed to be partially for new players, partially for old. For instance, whenever I want to see an old $-minigame thread to write up my orders, I find it through the directory. If I want an old copy of the Gazette? Directory. Econ. report? Directory . Having said that, it's also designed to A) keep things for public record, and B) help new players find crucial information.

I think, besides how horribly out of date it is at this moment, the first has been pretty successful. From this thread, however, it's clear that the second needs some work . As such, I will be opening an entire new section of the directory, which will contain everything that a new player needs to know to get the game rolling, either through explained links or text. As for new players -- I remember being new and having no clue whatsoever. I did ease myself in until I understood what was going on, but I'd like to make it as easy as is possible for them by keeping up to date information collated in one place.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 10:56   #11
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by zeit
Absolutely right, Skanky, When i first came here i thought i'd find some clue as to what is going on in the directory, but sadly this wasn't so. Some historical overview, an acronym dictionary and general explanation as to how things work around in this DG.
Right now, all this information IS there -- just hard to find . As I've said, I'll open up a FAQ section to make it easier, adn will be sure to include the stuff you've posted above as well as anything else I can think of.

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 11:51   #12
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 03:35
After being a bit less active last term, I truly learned the value of the directory...when I remembered to use it. Constantly, I wanted to find and bump this poll, or that thread...just had to remember to look in the directory and not go slogging through 4 pages looking.

On the FAQ, I really think we need that as a seperate post at the top of the directory, or even in a seperate thread.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 19, 2002, 11:56   #13
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
On the FAQ, I really think we need that as a seperate post at the top of the directory, or even in a seperate thread.
If I put it as the first post under the Table of Contents, would that make everyone happy?

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 12:21   #14
adaMada
King

On the Directory Links not working...

It seems to be a problem with the "Light-Special" forum style, as it doesn't work for me either in that case. As I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen , I'm going to PM Markos and ask him if this is a known bug.

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 14:02   #15
adaMada
King

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
On the Directory Links not working...

It seems to be a problem with the "Light-Special" forum style, as it doesn't work for me either in that case. As I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen , I'm going to PM Markos and ask him if this is a known bug.

-- adaMada
I have just gotten a PM back from Markos, and he says he's fixed it. In tests, it seems to work now .

Mark: Thank you so much .

Skanky: Any chance you could try again now?

-- adaMada
Old October 19, 2002, 16:30   #16
Skanky Burns

Ok, I have confirmed that it works now.
I was using the Light-Special style, so that problem is now gone.

Wow, what I was asking for is indeed there!
For the faq, I think first post in the table of contents (with the word faq: tacked onto the front of it).
Aro's map site as the second link in the TOC.

Good work tracking down the problem with the links btw.