Old December 3, 2002, 09:17   #31
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 11:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's magic!
I think I know what happens. An aribase is city code + fortress code. So removing the fortress will leave only the city code (I would have to fix that).
So Civ2 will treat the square as a city (i.e. unit icons disappear, terrain editing impossible etc.)

Oh, what the heck... Here's CivEngineer. More advanced than CivStack, but as John pointed out, more buggy as well! Use at your own risk!!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip civengineer.zip (6.9 KB, 11 views)
Old December 31, 2002, 19:26   #32
Alex Woehr
Warlord

Local Time: 04:36
Every time I try to use CivStack it gives me a Path\File access error. Is there some way to fix it?
Old January 1, 2003, 16:02   #33
Mercator
Emperor

Do you have the game you're trying to edit opened in Civ2 as well?
Old January 1, 2003, 17:53   #34
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Good work
Good work, Mercator

I only have a minor thing to point out: Did you know that even if there is a 'Unit present' or 'City present' flag toggled on in a square, the civilizations will not see the unit or the city?

BTW, Mac people is my reason for programming in Java
Old January 1, 2003, 19:45   #35
Mercator
Emperor

You mean with the CivEngineer thing?
None of the things you add will be visible. To make them visible I would have to update the civilization's views of the map as well. That was the main reason for only doing the stacking things first, since those don't need to be visible.
Old January 1, 2003, 20:06   #36
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

One question: Why do you need to update the map?

You can do that from your utility, with only a few more lines of code
Old January 2, 2003, 15:23   #37
Alex Woehr
Warlord

I tried using Civstack after exiting Civ2 and it still gave me the same message, but it seemed to work anyway.
Thanks for your work on Civ2.
Old January 4, 2003, 11:07   #38
Mercator
Emperor

yaroslav: Well yes, but quite a few more lines of code. I'd have to edit an entirely different part of the map data.
Java is indeed better for the Mac users among us, unfortunately I don't know Java.

Alex: When exactly do you get the error? Do you have the latest version (only applicable if you've had it for some time already).
Old January 4, 2003, 17:28   #39
yaroslav
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
yaroslav: Well yes, but quite a few more lines of code. I'd have to edit an entirely different part of the map data.
Java is indeed better for the Mac users among us, unfortunately I don't know Java.
If you know C++, Java is pretty easy (I don't know if you have programmed CivFortress in C, C++ or any other language).

I've programmed a library that works with maps, because in my CivDip I need to exchange maps between users (and now I do it without problems). I'll send it to you if that could be usefull (it's written on Java, but if you know C++ there is no problem at all to use that)

Also, I posted in this forum a thread some time ago about how editing maps, cities and units in to order to reveal them

And a little addition that I'll find very useful - if the utility let's you enter a coordinate in order to change only one square (I know that you can do it in Civ2, but changing a square from ocean to landand from land to ocean in a scen it's difficult)
Old January 4, 2003, 18:54   #40
Mercator
Emperor

I don't know C++, I do know C and Perl, but I've never done any Windows programming with those (nor any others, except VB)... All my utilities are written in VB6.

I know in principle how everything's supposed to be done, but I'm a little busy, and most importantly I'm a perfectionist. Once I get started, I can't stop. But at this time, frankly, I don't feel like doing it (it's just a hobby, you know).

But well, I would like to see that library. It could probably help me here and there... I don't know if I'll even look at it until I start working on things again, though. I'll be sure to credit you if I ever use it.

You can find my e-mail address on my site(s) (see homepage link/signature), if you don't know it already.
Old January 6, 2003, 22:57   #41
Alex Woehr
Warlord

I only get the error after selecting the savegame\scenario file to add fortresses to. But, as I said already, it works anyway.
Old December 17, 2003, 19:54   #42
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 19:36
Does this utility then effectively give each unit a + 100% defensive bonus b/c they are in a "fort" ???

If so we'd need to increase the attack str of all units by 2 to even it out.

Please someone clarify!
Old December 17, 2003, 20:15   #43
Boco
King

Yes. Adjusting unit af's is one way to compensate. So's adjusting terrain defense modifiers. You'll also need to decide how to handle cities. Forts everywhere make cities less advantageous. Some designers like that. Others underlie the city with a 'Buildings' terrain that has a defense benefit (e.g. Herbstnebel). I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember how they're handled in RF.
Old December 18, 2003, 11:23   #44
Mercator
Emperor

Ah, Colwyn... I guess you mailed me too about this, I didn't know it was you...

Just to be complete, a reference to the Great Library combat thread:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=22856