Old October 20, 2002, 00:42   #1
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 01:36
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Story Contest Round 1: Nominations
I'll start over on the counting. Also, I want to think of a name that would be more original than just 'Story Contest'. I was thinking of calling it the civman2000 Award (because he started the story contest) or the Grundel Award (because he was said to the top selling author of the forum by that one thread) but I didn't want to make a decision without talking to you guys.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 20, 2002, 07:09   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Well I dont want force the issue but how about

The All New Story Contest,when PTW comes out it might generate a whole new range of story writing and interest in this forum and we need to incorporate PTW her instead of a seperate section springing up.

Just thinking out loud what do others think?

John dont forget about the stories in the round 13 thread that have not been in a vote yet and Jackwww was desperate to get his story in the contest a few weeks ago.which I will gladly nominate.

I dont know if you saw the thread I did ages ago about unfinished stories but a lot of people agreed that only completed works could enter a poll, also a lot of the writers now are asking not to go into the vote until they have finished writing.Some like Metaliturtle say that contest is irrelevant and that they write because they want to.

If you get chance John go and read through that thread it will help you to see the point Im making.

If I can help you in anyway please let me know,

Chris
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 20, 2002, 14:30   #3
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I would like to Nominate my story "The Great Cold War."
Old October 23, 2002, 07:16   #4
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Local Time: 09:36
Great! Now I have incentive to finish that roman epic of mine! Ill get right to it... after my maths exam on monday.

And no nominating my story intill its finished!!
Old October 23, 2002, 09:02   #5
dashstar1972
Settler

Do stories have to be complete to be entered? If so, I'm not going to be able to enter for a while.

Glad to see this is happening again, though.
Old October 26, 2002, 01:06   #6
johncmcleod
Prince

Unfinished stories can be nominated if the author says it can. I believe that would settle it fairly. I have no idea though about the play the world thing. It'll really mess things up.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old October 28, 2002, 00:24   #7
steamthunk
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:36
It seems a little unfair that a partially completed story could have a chance of winning over a complete story. Maybe there should be a "finished" and "unfinished" prize (what is the prize anyway)?

I feel that it's very easy to start something that never gets finished (because I do it to myself all the time). Rewards should go to those who do complete their works because it's a much more noteworthy accomplishment in my book.

Old October 28, 2002, 21:47   #8
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

John a lot of people feel quite strongly about this issue. I dont know if youve read my thread Unfinished Stories but a lot of people agreed with me that its unfair to have someone win the contest and then never finish their story, Kind of makes it not worth finishing your own story. Please do a poll on this and if Im proved wrong then so be it Ill not ask again.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 31, 2002, 00:22   #9
johncmcleod
Prince

Good job for setting up that poll Chrisuis Maximus. I see what your point of view now. Come on you guys, the finals round won't come til four stories are nominated. Please nominate them!! (for now, don't nominate incomplete stories, just to be safe)
Old October 31, 2002, 23:01   #10
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

Local Time: 03:36
what if winning would require an author to finish before they could enter another story??
Old November 1, 2002, 11:33   #11
Sheep
DiplomacyNever Ending StoriesNationStatesCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton University
King

Local Time: 19:36
I think the civman/grundel award would be good and it wouldn't put either out

Also when the new nes forum begins I think we should seriously start making a annual nes award.....
Old November 2, 2002, 17:31   #12
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Just want to make sure this thread stays at the top. Also please nominate stories.
Old November 2, 2002, 17:47   #13
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Well, I'd nominate some, but the way the poll I set up seems to be going, the people only want complete stories to participate. And there aren't many of those around. Hope the people will get writing
Spore page
Old November 2, 2002, 17:54   #14
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

I would like to nominate Jack_WWW story
"The Great Cold War"

I would also like to nominate Steamthunk's first two episodes of his trilogy, America in peril and America balance of power. All three of these stories are to my knowledge complete so we need one more, will someone second these?

Last edited by ChrisiusMaximus; November 2, 2002 at 18:11.
Old November 2, 2002, 18:15   #15
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Oh, yes. Of course, how could I forget about steamthunk's stories? I second those. They were cool. Although I wonder if he would like both of his stories in the same contest, competing with each other. Or maybe we should consider both of those parts as one?
Spore page
Old November 2, 2002, 18:21   #16
vovan
Emperor

For the fourth story for this contest, I would like to nominate Times of War and Diplomacy by johncmcleod.

But I do have a question: How far back can we go? I imagine we can't nominate stories from more than a year ago? Or maybe we only can't nominate the stories that were in the previous contests? Or maybe we can nominate any finished story written after the contest? What do you all think?
Spore page
Old November 2, 2002, 22:23   #17
johncmcleod
Prince

Thanks for the input all. But don't forget about the new rules. Nominations aren't seconded. Just the four stories that get most nominations go to the finals. I will call it the Grundel award. I also have a new rule in answer to Vovansim's question. Though stories in this contest will not be nominated more than once, for this new contest, if a story has been to the prelims in the old contest, but wasn't finished at the time and has been added on since then and did not win the award, they can be nominated for this one. So my story, TOWD, would be eligible actually, because it wasn't finished at the time it was nominated, has been added on since then, and didn't win it. I did NOT I repeat NOT change these rules just so my story could be nominated again. And vovansim, I thank you for the nomination but I won't let you nominate it because it isn't finished and I don't want it nominated til its done.
Old November 2, 2002, 22:31   #18
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

wait, so if I like a story and it's already been nominated then I have to nominate it again to support it? that sounds kind of confusing, and someone may be reluctent to nominated a story that's already been nominated, but whatever that's just what I think. Also seems like people aren't posting stories much here anymore. Maybe that's just because everything is a sequel now, kind of like Hollywood...
Old November 3, 2002, 01:01   #19
vovan
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
Nominations aren't seconded. Just the four stories that get most nominations go to the finals.
Well, in that case, count my "second" as as second nomination of the same stories
Quote:
Originally posted by johncmcleod
I won't let you nominate it because it isn't finished and I don't want it nominated til its done.
Sorry about that, johncmcleod, I was pretty sure it was done...
Spore page
Old November 3, 2002, 03:54   #20
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Ok, can completed stories that were nominated in the last round (when it wasn;t completed!) be nominated?
Old November 3, 2002, 04:45   #21
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thats what it says above Lord Zalzabad so if this is the case I will nominate "Ghost of Thermopolie"

But come on people we really should have a debate to decide new rules, Ive been trying since august to get some discussion going and my good friend vovan has got a poll running on the unfinished question. Theres far more people reading and writing here than are joining the debate and voting, so if we end up with a system you dont like you can only blame yourself.

John could we arrange a meet in the chatroom maybe to discuss this, be nice to talk to people regardless of whether we all agree on some rules or not.
Old November 3, 2002, 22:04   #22
johncmcleod
Prince

That's cool. How about though just post ideas/suggestions/complaints on the rules thread I made. It's called New Story Contest Rules. I personally like my system the best, but I don't want to be unfair.
Old November 3, 2002, 22:09   #23
johncmcleod
Prince

Lord Zalzabad-if the story wasn't completed at the time it was nominated (for the old story contest) and is now finished, it can be nominated again (unless it won). Also, for this one no incomplete stories can be nominated, so TOWD isn't elligible anyways. If you disagree with that say something.
Old November 4, 2002, 00:56   #24
steamthunk
Chieftain

It took me a while to catch up on messages here. Glad to see things picking up again. Anyway, thanks for the nominations, but I think I'd have to play by my own rules and say that all the America stories are part of one. So, if we decide that only completed stories are allowed I will say that whatever I write should only be submitted after the fifth and final installment (I just posted the 4th under America: Defiance).
Old November 5, 2002, 07:19   #25
Lord Zalzabad
Warlord

Great! that is what I wanted to know!I was going to nominate Ghost of Thermopolie too.
Old November 10, 2002, 14:14   #26
vovan
Emperor

Well, it's been a long time since anybody took any interest in this here contest.

I would like to nominate Mikes story by ChrisiusMaximus.
Spore page
Old November 10, 2002, 17:10   #27
gooberboob
Civilization II PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMNever Ending Stories
Warlord

I'm gonna nominate Gooberpoxy
Old November 12, 2002, 02:51   #28
steamthunk
Chieftain

Since it's finished, I too would like to nominate Mike's Story.
Old November 13, 2002, 00:18   #29
johncmcleod
Prince

Finally, four stories have been nominated. I guess because no one has posted anything on the rules thread so the contest will go as planned. The finals will start saturday. Of course, that doesn't mean the voting is over. If two people nominate a story it'll be ahead of Gooberproxy.
Old November 13, 2002, 12:53   #30
gooberboob
Warlord

someone else nominate gooberpoxy