Old October 20, 2002, 15:36   #1
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Religion Code for SAP - BETA
Pedrunn and I have worked in the past two months on a possible implementation of the concept of religion. The code as I stands now is fully playable. It is an addition to the Super Apolyton Pack, so you need to have that installed before. There's also a German translation coming with it.
For more information read the readme or if you want to know before you download the 250kb read here:
Creation Thread

There's a few reasons why this is still called a BETA:
- even though I did much play testing there might still be some bugs, please play with debugslic=yes and report (you might get an error from SAP, but it's rather unlikely and we'll be able to tell...)
- I tried to balance the system, but especially AI behaviour or values of happiness/tenths might need some adjusting, feel free to suggest
-the GL could be adjusted a little

This zip has been updated on Oct 22 - the LogRegardEvent works now. Thanks Peter!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip religion.zip (274.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by mapfi; October 22, 2002 at 12:41.
Old October 20, 2002, 15:36   #2
mapfi
Prince

If you already downloaded the zip before Oct 22, you can just replace the religion.slc with the following one:
Attached Files:
File Type: slc religion.slc (27.5 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by mapfi; October 22, 2002 at 12:39.
Old October 21, 2002, 10:52   #3
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

hey ive downloaded the file to look at the read me and it looks very very cool although i dont play SAP nor have it installed im thinking about getting it just to try this..

A few things, i wasnt quite clear on what Religiouns are included in the mod.

I have a massive post ready for the "Best of both worlds" thread. One of my ideas was to have specific diplomatic proposals between specific government types (eg. monarchy [offer Royal Marriage]) anyway the same would be good between nations of the same religioun

i had another point but cant remember it . anyway it sounds great keep up the good work and I look forward to viewing other ppls feed back
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old October 21, 2002, 11:00   #4
mapfi
Prince

I guess the readme doesn't make it clear. Since we're using the ingame religion coded stuff the religions are defined by their civ. You'll have like the American, Dutch,... religion.
We could of course give them another name and let you choose one. But we decided against this because for one there's a problem with getting the strings in the messages then and for the other the game allows only as many religions as players. You could use the government settings to set a religion instead but that'd be a totally different approach and would mean to start from scratch.
Old October 21, 2002, 19:03   #5
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 09:38
Mapfi,

Here's the file I mentioned.

I did two things:

1) I set "tmpPlayer" to "player[0]" rather than "g.player". I never use "g.player" if "player[0]" is available via the event. Here "player[0]" is passed through the BeginTurn event and is the player who is beginning his turn.

2) I was still getting 'wrong type of argument' errors so I checked the values of "tmpplayer" and "i" and found that "i" was taking the value "32". I don't know why it was, but when I changed "33" to 'preference("NumPlayers")' the crashes stopped. You'll have to verify that it's still doing what you want it to do, but evidently that's what was causing the crashes.
Attached Files:
File Type: slc religion.slc (27.5 KB, 2 views)
Old October 22, 2002, 07:13   #6
mapfi
Prince

32? There is a if IsPlayerAlive(i) before those lines, and 32 shouldn't be alive unless you have set the number of players real high.

Quote:
'preference("NumPlayers")'
I didn't know that one - Now this should do the trick actually - the only thing that could come in the way would be the creation of a new civ - What player number will that civ get? If it can be higher than NumPlayers then I'll have to find a workaround.
Thanks a lot Peter.
Old October 22, 2002, 08:03   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Code:
int_t players;
if(preference("MaxPlayers") > preference("NumPlayers")){
   players = preference("MaxPlayers");
} else {
   players = preference("NumPlayers");
}
If you use MaxPlayers, you have to check if each one is alive before doing anything with it. But you're doing that anyway, so it's all good.
Old October 22, 2002, 09:19   #8
mapfi
Prince

thanks - but why would I have to use this? So far I was just going through 1 to 33 since 34 is the max player in ctp2 (isn't it) and check if they were alive. That's why I can imagine how Peter got 32... here's the part of the code that's making those troubles:
Code:
	if (tmpPlayer != i && IsPlayerAlive(i) && i > 0) {
		if(PlayerReligion[i] == 0) {
			if (PlayerCityCount(i) > 0) {
				GetCityByIndex(i, 0, FirstCity);
				PlayerReligion[i] = GetCityReligion(FirstCity); //if city has no religion -> default is owner number
				PlayerNum = PlayerNum + 1;
			}
		}
		elseif(tmpReligion != PlayerReligion[i]) {
			player[3] = i;
			LogRegardEvent(player[3], player[0], -2, 0, ID_NONE, 0);
		}
		else {
			player[3] = i;
			LogRegardEvent(player[3], player[0], 5, 0, ID_NONE, 0);
		}
	}

//VOID LogRegardEvent(int, int, regardDelta, regardEventType, ID_string, Delta_what)
//regardDelta is the amount to increase the first player's regard towards the second by. 
//The Regard Event Types are ScenarioEvent, MilitaryPowerEvent, MilitarySafetyEvent,
DiplomacyEvent, GoldEvent, KnowledgeEvent, & ProductionEvent. So "0" is probably the null event type. 
//ID_string is a string used in the Diplomacy intelligence screen.
//Delta_what has, I think, something to do with turns. For example,
		// Make the Allies like each other
		//LogRegardEvent(2, 3, 1000, 0, ID_WW_BLANK, turnMax);      
//where turnMax is the number of turns in the WW2 scenario. It doesn't seem to make the change recur though.

Last edited by mapfi; October 22, 2002 at 09:29.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:29   #9
mapfi
Prince

Hehe, I think I got it - I thought the maximum of players was 34 (including the barbarians), so I'd the player numbers would go up to 33. No clue where I got that. Now I read in the FAQ by Martin, that it only goes up to 29 players. I think he means it as number in the userdata.txt but actually I think it's opponents without barbarians which would be what my testing like Peter did showed: IsPlayerAlive() returns true for 32 and 33, even though they are certainly not alive. Unless the game take the player number modulo 31 minus 1... wicked!
I'm updating the code in the first post. Thanks again for your help, guys.

Last edited by mapfi; October 22, 2002 at 12:36.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:55   #10
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 11:38
The maximum number of players is theorically 32, so indices 0 to 31. Non-existant player numbers (>31, and maybe <0 as well) return true by default (which is stupid but that's SLIC ).
Old October 22, 2002, 13:07   #11
mapfi
Prince

Oh, so you tell me that now after we had to find out ourselves!!!... But in that case the FAQ needs to be adjusted since the number in the userdata.txt can be set to 31 then and not only up to 29. Because that's what it makes you think now the way it's worded.
Anyway - Locutus thanks.
Old October 22, 2002, 13:56   #12
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Actually if I tried to start a game with more then 29 players then all the players above index 28 where Barabarian and I wasn't able to reload such a game, so the FAQ don't need to be updated until you proove the opposite or offer a fix. I remember vage a comment by player1 about the issure, but that was a little bit to short and I didn't examined it.

-Martin
Old October 22, 2002, 14:43   #13
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Well, I just started a game with NumPlayers set at 32 and it worked okay: I had a game with 1 human, 30 AIs and 1 Barbarian civ. I did have a problem with reloading savegames, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the theoretical limit is 32 civs. Whether or not that works in practice remains to be seen (I didn't bother to find out if I could circumvent the reload bug somehow), but when programming SLIC, the theoretical limit is the one you'll have to work with. Although the existing info in the FAQ doesn't need to be changed, it might be useful to add an addendum...
Old March 11, 2003, 12:46   #14
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 06:38
Why isnt this mod in the database?
I thought it was but just checked the database and it isnt!

-Jean Rostand
Old March 11, 2003, 13:37   #15
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
Why isnt this mod in the database?
I thought it was but just checked the database and it isnt!

Probably, because mapfi did not submitted it to the Apolyton Directory. That is the last step that the creator of a mod has to do if he whishes to have the mod in the Apolyton directory, there might be some people who don't liek it if they did not gave permission.

-Martin
Old March 11, 2003, 13:39   #16
Pedrunn
King

The religion code is both mine and mapfi work. So i will submit it.

Altbought it is a BETA
-Jean Rostand
Old March 11, 2003, 13:40   #17
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

hey pedrunn i like your avatar, where is it from, i dont recognize it as a CtP2 unit ?
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old March 11, 2003, 14:17   #18
Pedrunn
King

You have any objection mapfi? After all i dont want to see our job beig forgotten!

My avatar is another terrific unit made by BlueO but this one for Civ3, the Power Armor. Check the thread here
-Jean Rostand
Old March 11, 2003, 14:35   #19
ískallin
Prince

Local Time: 21:38
i'l try this and comment when i've time
Old March 11, 2003, 14:48   #20
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedrunn
My avatar is another terrific unit made by BlueO but this one for Civ3, the Power Armor. Check the thread here
The avatar remids me rather to that unit. Clearly a CTP2 one.

-Martin
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	zvf.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	39357  
Old March 13, 2003, 10:05   #21
mapfi
Prince

I was thinking about playtesting it through before submitting it to the database, but that might take some time before I feel like it, so go ahead, submit it.
Old March 13, 2003, 23:38   #22
Pedrunn
King

Lets just wait Locutus find some time to add it
-Jean Rostand
Old March 14, 2003, 13:48   #23
Locutus
Deity

The directory is not for betas, only for finished products, as the disclaimers clearly state. Is this code at least more or less stable or is it still (potentially) ridden with bugs? If the latter is the case, I'd rather not add it at this point but wait until you did some further testing...
Old March 14, 2003, 13:57   #24
mapfi
Prince

Oh, it is stable and as bug-free as any other mod in the database. What hasn't been really played out is how it affects gamebalance. One would need to play a whole game with it and report but it seems people are not that interested (actually there aren't that many around...)
Old March 14, 2003, 13:59   #25
Locutus
Deity

Ah, okay. In that case I'll wait for it to be submitted...
Old March 14, 2003, 14:29   #26
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Well if I take a look on the scripts, then I must say GoodMod contains less bugs then APolytonPack, actual I did a choice between a feature of Diplomod and its bug freeness, however last time it was in favour of the feature next time it won't. However this bug is also in MedPack and ApolytonPack, but not in Cradle if you use the default Diplomod 3.5 then it is not there, but it should contain a bug that makes the Cradle AI more aggressive. So bugfreeness is relative, especially we consider the official CTP2 patch. So in the case of doubt you can still submit it as some slic code. If you take BlueO city expansion set as example then you have in this category something for modding and playing but not finished.

IIRC the old disclaimer then it said that you should only should upload stuff if you are sure it want be updated within the next weeks. And considering we had MedMod2 alpha in the database....

Sure is that the directory reashes more people then just a thread, if you state that you only submitted a not finished mod and you need some time and testers then it should be ok, if you have something that is already far but still far from the end.

Unfortunatly Marcos cook up the very high server load to remove the non-cookie support for the directory and I don't bother to change my whole forum settings right now.

-Martin
Old March 14, 2003, 14:58   #27
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
Well if I take a look on the scripts, then I must say GoodMod contains less bugs then APolytonPack, actual I did a choice between a feature of Diplomod and its bug freeness, however last time it was in favour of the feature next time it won't. However this bug is also in MedPack and ApolytonPack, but not in Cradle if you use the default Diplomod 3.5 then it is not there, but it should contain a bug that makes the Cradle AI more aggressive. So bugfreeness is relative, especially we consider the official CTP2 patch. So in the case of doubt you can still submit it as some slic code. If you take BlueO city expansion set as example then you have in this category something for modding and playing but not finished.
Everything is relative. But the creators of mods know very well themselves when something is bugfree enough to no longer be considered a beta. It's almost impossible for a product with more than 1,000 lines of code to be 100% completely bugfree, we all know that. But a certain extend of stability is required for the Directory. If half the products in there would be bug-ridden betas people would soon loose the inclination to download files from it. So we have somewhat of a reputation to keep up, for survival's sake.

Quote:
IIRC the old disclaimer then it said that you should only should upload stuff if you are sure it want be updated within the next weeks. And considering we had MedMod2 alpha in the database....
The old rules no longer apply. When the new database went online Markos and I revised the rules. The new rules are the ones to be used and they are quite clear:
Quote:
7) Only finished files will be processed. If you consider your file a beta version which will be updated soon, please wait until playtesting is finished. You can send updated versions of existing files, but a certain period of time should have passed between updates.
The bold part is an elaboration of the old rules, and that's not a coincidence and won't be ignored on a whim (certainly not by me, as co-author of the new rules ). (Oh, and if play-testing happens to take a long time, that still doesn't mean you can submit the file )

Quote:
Sure is that the directory reashes more people then just a thread, if you state that you only submitted a not finished mod and you need some time and testers then it should be ok, if you have something that is already far but still far from the end.
Nope, sorry. If a file is incomplete, don't submit it to the directory. The audience of the Directory is indeed larger than the audience of the forums, but this audience doesn't consist of unpaid beta-testers. You can find those in the forums

Quote:
Unfortunatly Marcos cook up the very high server load to remove the non-cookie support for the directory and I don't bother to change my whole forum settings right now.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here but I think that's an issue you should take up with Markos. But I believe you already did that - repeatedly
Old March 14, 2003, 18:26   #28
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
The bold part is an elaboration of the old rules, and that's not a coincidence and won't be ignored on a whim (certainly not by me, as co-author of the new rules ). (Oh, and if play-testing happens to take a long time, that still doesn't mean you can submit the file )
I think this relative clause is the backdoor here:

Quote:
which will be updated soon
If I don't indent to update the file soon...

However I will bump a thread once ot twice to see what happens. If no further bug reports I consider it as bug free at least free of the most serious ones and the rest are just a matter of taste then.

Quote:
I have no idea what you're trying to say here but I think that's an issue you should take up with Markos. But I believe you already did that - repeatedly
Well I noticed that nothing was working in the directory no possibility to log in, you are returned to the page with the log in form. You wasn't able to reach files on page two, like in the forum if I am not loged in. I wasn't able sort the files in a different order like adding time instead of ratings. Well and so on to make it brief the directory were nearly unusable, in the meantime Marcos did the necessary minimum. So finally I decided to post the bugs in the comunity forum, after some day zero or one reply but none from Marcos, I bumbed the thread once or twice, I must admit Marcos replied very fast with the excuse of the anti server load meassures. That was it. So if I want now to submit anything or I want to see something that needs an log in I have to enable cookies not only in my browser but also in my profile, that is not very userfriendly.

-Martin
Old March 14, 2003, 18:48   #29
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
If I don't indent to update the file soon...
Way ahead of you Let me quote myself on that:

Quote:
(Oh, and if play-testing happens to take a long time, that still doesn't mean you can submit the file )
Besides, your submissions have so far always been perfectly by the book (well, more so than anyone else's anyway) and your debugging standard is higher than most's, so what are you worried about?

Well, like I said, you have to take the cookie issue up with Markos but I seem to recall Markos already telling you something along the lines of "enable your d*mn cookies, you stubborn bastard" (well, he may have been slightly more tactful in the formulation )

Last edited by Locutus; March 14, 2003 at 19:00.
Old March 14, 2003, 19:54   #30
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Besides, your submissions have so far always been perfectly by the book (well, more so than anyone else's anyway) and your debugging standard is higher than most's, so what are you worried about?
Well if I look on the City Capture Option for CTP2 v. 1.4 then I know why I did not submit it. .... But it is already in ApolytonPack, GoodMod maybe in MedPack2 as well, and it was in Cradle. Unfortunatly the bugs only were discovered, because it is in ApolytonPack.

-Martin