Old October 20, 2002, 17:33   #1
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The good and the bad turns
Another thing that haunts me:

Maybe it's just my imagination: when at war, some turns grant you a lot of elites or even a leader, other turns barely get a single unit promoted, even if I win a lot of battles.

That said, I don't know, if it has something to do with the random seed. There seem to be only two different types, the turns that can get you leaders and... the others.

I reloaded a lot to confirm this and, please don't quote me, but on some turns it's just impossible! I took an advantageous situation from a game where I was about to finish off a small civ, and played through all varieties.

On Turn 1 I got 9 victorious battles with 1 promo vet-elite (Same fight wouldn't spawn a leader), no promos or lost 1 battle according to the order I used the units,

Turn 2 (just reloaded and clicked one turn further, the AI hadn't units to move anymore) the same fights include 4(!) promotions vet-elite, 2 of these fights would also spawn a leader, if I used elites.

(I played non-militaristic Babylon btw with preserved random seed, the battles were cavs vs. spearmen/pikemen)

I also tested a situation form another game with similar results.

Anyone experienced the same thing?
Old October 20, 2002, 17:56   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:38
I would think just about everybody has. The roll of the dice on how you fare in regards to the std deviation for promotions or leaders. IOW it will depend on the luck of the draw all other things being equal. Mil trait will improve the counts (usually) as will the MA being built. Some game and some point in the gaem things go well others it stinks.
Old October 21, 2002, 19:42   #3
SanPellegrino
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
I just think it's very predictable, that some turns just can't spawn a leader. It's easy to exploit, when I know the previous round was a "good" turn, I delay my attack plan that round. That way I get 7-10 leaders per game without reloading.