Old October 20, 2002, 18:21   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I Found AUTO-BOMBARD!!!!!

I haven't tried this with anything but Arty yet, but hold down the 'b' button continuously, and concurrently click on your target as many times as you want it hit (up to the number of Arty you have in position).

IT WORKS!!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Last edited by Theseus; October 20, 2002 at 18:38.
Old October 20, 2002, 18:37   #2
HazieDaVampire
King

Local Time: 09:38
lol, yeah, my battleships have blitz ability, so i was getting pissed having to fire the guns 25 times (5 battleships firing 5 times each!). I noticed that civ3 seems to have lag. in all games that have lag you can do things like that! If only i could tell it to attack a target till it runs out of move points!
Old October 20, 2002, 19:29   #3
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 11:38
Oh! Interesting. I might try it, as I sometimes use plenty of artillery. However, I thought the title refered to a coastal fortress autobombarding a passing enemy ship. Have anyone ever seen that happen?
Old October 20, 2002, 20:38   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
I thought the title refered to a coastal fortress autobombarding a passing enemy ship. Have anyone ever seen that happen?
I did. It is not something you'll see a lot, but it happens occasionally. AFAIK, the game only displays an animation when the bombardment is successful. That explains why we see so few coastal fortresses hitting their targets. They miss it most of the time.
Old October 21, 2002, 00:06   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The Ai seems to understand that as long as it does not traverse two tiles in the sphere of that city, it can not be bombarded.
Old October 21, 2002, 01:03   #6
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Guys, forget the frigging coastal fortresses...

Arty auto-bombard!!!

HELLO!! EXCUSE ME!!!!

Has anyone else been bored sh-tless by large stacks of Arty... b-click, b-click, b-click, b-click, b-click, b-click, b-click...

And Firaxians, you are welcome for the new "feature" for PTW.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old October 21, 2002, 01:19   #7
Apolex
Warlord

Local Time: 04:38

THANK YOU THESEUS!!!!!!!! OMG that improves the gameplay for the much of the latter half of the game. It's amazing they haven't included an auto-bombard feature as it is. I'm glad you figured that out... hehe yeah they'll list that as a new feature, but you should get credit. Excellent...thanks for posting that.

-Apolex
Old October 21, 2002, 01:21   #8
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
WOW. If this really works.... woohooo!

I hope in PTW there will be real auto-bombardment (i.e. only one click for the whole stack) but 'til then....

Did you try bomber as well? Does ist work with them?

What happens when you click more often than the number of units you have in the stack? Some kind of audio clue or do you have to know when to stop?

Sorry for these questions, but I don't have access to Civ3 at the moment so I can't test it myself.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:29   #9
Gunter
Warlord

Local Time: 09:38
This evening I'll give it a try and if it worked it could be amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot M8 !!!!

Gunter
Old October 21, 2002, 12:34   #10
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Theseus, if I had known you would like this, I would have posted it a few months before

Other things were this kind of clicking can really help:
* When you discover RR, all your workers get the same orders: RR to here, RR to there. So, keep down Ctrl+Shift+R, and just click the tiles one by one that need RRing... If you're a bit lucky, you will be able to give orders to all of your workers in one long go.

* airlifting freshly build units, if all your units are only build in cities with airports (which happens a lot with me, as they are free with Smith's trading company): keep T pushed in, and click to the airport where you want them based.

* replacing damaged bombers on a carrier: Choose wake all (so they will be in the right order), keep Shift+R in, and just click the city where they will rest. If your previous load of bombers rested in another city (from 2 turns ago), you can do the same trick there to move them onto your carrier. Quite handy to replace bombers fast, with 2 carriers you can keep 24 bombers busy at all times, so that they are always fresh. However, most of the times you only encounter a few fighters, so this will only be useful in scenarios like the Alamo (where I used it a lot)

DeepO
Old October 21, 2002, 12:37   #11
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Oh, another one (but this one I don't use frequently): If in a war, most of your units will be in stacks. So keep J pressed in, and move all of your units by clicking where they need to advance too The problem here is that most of the times you have a few units that need advancing, and a few that need to attack, so it doesn't happen very often that you have a long series here.

DeepO
Old October 22, 2002, 01:11   #12
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 10:38
DeepO:
Quote:
* airlifting freshly build units, if all your units are only build in cities with airports (which happens a lot with me, as they are free with Smith's trading company): keep T pushed in, and click to the airport where you want them based.
Can you elaborate on this? I don't fully understand it.

For the J key, I normally use it to put all my offensive units on one tile and when I need them, I can move them all at once (e.g. after war breaks out and i have to get them to the border).
Old October 22, 2002, 07:06   #13
DeepO
Emperor

Well, I typically build my troops in cities that have every possible improvement, so when I'm building tanks, I have airport in each troop-training-city (after a few turns, of course, flight comes right after Mot. Trans.).

Another typical thing for war at that point in the game is that I have, or am very close of owning my starting continent, and want to wage war on another island / continent. Ideally, I have a beach head there, with an airport rushed.

So, each turn, quite a number of tanks are produced, in cities with ariports. These units are likely to come in one series, so just press T (airlift), and click the beachhead (in many cases needs scrolling). The result is a bit less straining on your fingers, plus it does speed up things a little. This really shows when you don't have to click to reposition, so you can always just choose the beach head, but I admit those situations are rare.

J key: yeah, of course, that is about the normal use of it. But in a war, most of your troops will be in smaller stacks as well. So instead of moving these one by one, I stack move these as well, no matter if they are with 10, 2 or alone in that stack. Pressing J when you are moving single units has the advantage that you don't need to draw a movement line, you can just click where you want to go. So, when I'm rearranging my troop positions, I just press J continuously...

DeepO
Old October 30, 2002, 08:03   #14
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 12:38
In Master of Orion, you could set a planet where the produced ships would be sent. That would be a nice feature....
Old October 30, 2002, 09:08   #15
miccofl
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Auto-attack works too! Once you have positioned your stack, hold down G and repeatedly click your target. If you click too many times it's not a problem, your units will stop attacking once they have annihilated the target.
Old October 30, 2002, 09:13   #16
Apolex
Warlord

Hmmm
Well this works for me sometimes, but about half the time it pops up the window saying with the "Take me to your leader" option. Still, much better than the alternative of hitting b-click-b-click 200 times. I wonder how this stuff works with the attack animation turned off, has anyone tried?

-Apo
Old October 30, 2002, 10:55   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

doesnt work with multiple move units (like ironclads).

you have to bombard, wait, bombard again.
Old October 30, 2002, 11:20   #18
Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
In Master of Orion, you could set a planet where the produced ships would be sent. That would be a nice feature....
In PTW, you can set a rally point (any tile) for each city. Units produced in that city will be sent to that tile when produced.
Old October 30, 2002, 14:18   #19
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sweet, I hope it is in the store today.
Old October 30, 2002, 14:24   #20
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

In the US, it is.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old October 30, 2002, 15:06   #21
DeepO
Emperor

Well, do units use airports automatically when they get produced? Now that would be a welcome thing!

DeepO
Old October 30, 2002, 16:06   #22
Theseus
Emperor

DeepO, I doubt it, although that would be cool.

Apolex, I had the same problem ("Take me...). It seems to work best if all non-bombard units are fortified or asleep. Look in the last page or two of the AU 107 thread for how I used it against Hammie... THREE MINUTES of auto-bombard!