Old October 20, 2002, 22:42   #1
wvfoos
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question about automating workers, and captured cities.......
Ok, I've got two unrelated questions............

First, when you automate workers, is there any way to keep them from changing existing improvements? I've got so many, that i've set a bunch to automate, and they are running around flooding my mined grasslands and prairies. Ive got my cities at a manageable level, and don't need growth as much as I need production. I thought I read somewhere you could keep them from changing existing improvements, but I dont' know where I saw it.... Any help?

And two, i've had to capture some cities FAR away from my capital and FP (damn zulus wouldn't keep on their side of the border, so they had to be taught a lesson, and exterminated from the globe), and the corruption/waste make them basically useless. What can I do with them? I've got 1.29f, and I put the corruption down to 80% in the editor before starting the game, but still, cities that are not that far away seem to lose all but one sheild to waste.

I'm in a democracy and I've got a huge military, so drafting the citizens is not really necessary. What are those cities good for? I've thought about pulling my troops out and just giving them away to curry favor, but that seems like somewhat of a waste. Any ideas on this too?
Old October 20, 2002, 22:49   #2
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:39
I give my unmanageable Zulu cities to a friendly civ that shares borders with my territory and with the Zulus. Especially if they were almost wiped out by the Zulus. Wait for them to make peace with Shaka first, tho. It doesn't make them like me better but it makes me feel kinda powerful.
Old October 20, 2002, 22:53   #3
Playa del Carmen
Warlord

Local Time: 03:39
Re: Question about automating workers, and captured cities.......
Quote:
Originally posted by wvfoos
Ok, I've got two unrelated questions............

First, when you automate workers, is there any way to keep them from changing existing improvements? I've got so many, that i've set a bunch to automate, and they are running around flooding my mined grasslands and prairies. Ive got my cities at a manageable level, and don't need growth as much as I need production. I thought I read somewhere you could keep them from changing existing improvements, but I dont' know where I saw it.... Any help?
Sure thing. Should be shift + a.
Old October 20, 2002, 22:53   #4
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:39
Sure! Shift-a
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 21, 2002, 02:46   #5
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 10:39
You can try to disband these cities, although if you do that some other civ will walk right up there and settle to make their own cities which will bring you back to zero. You can use them as outposts, remember that resources may pop up anywhere in the game and some may appear excactly there. On the other side you can use them as outposts or military bases. If you have to get rid of them you may want to see if you can trade them with some other civ, you may be able to get a lot out of it!

I usually keep them because I want my borders as extended as possible because of resources. I set them to build a military unit, which takes ages but I do hurry by buying it at some point.

So long...
Old October 21, 2002, 02:50   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
I just let them crank on a temple or wealth until they get productive. If they do not, then they stay on wealth.
Old October 21, 2002, 03:08   #7
Demerzel
Warlord

as i've just said in the other thread on this subject, remote ( oversea ) cities are pretty much useless production wise and you'll just have to hope that your treasury is full enough to rush through any projects that you want built in less than 50 - 80 turns.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:09   #8
WarpStorm
King

You could always try Communism. In some circumstances it can be beneficial. I find that I take a big gold/tech hit but my shields go up a lot, especially if Idevelop all of my cities rather than just the productive core. Remember, in Communism there is no core.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:24   #9
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Corrupt cities = strategic resources late in the game. Production and cash come from your two core areas, around the palace and around the FP. Don't worry about the rest, they are usually not worth the bother.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:34   #10
candybo
Warlord

Try palace-hopping, too. Once the area near your palace is developed the cities near it won't suffer TOO much if you move it elsewhere to lower corruption. European countries used to do it all the time....
Old October 21, 2002, 07:41   #11
WarpStorm
King

In addition, corrupt cities = culture points if you rush build the appropriate structures.

The other thing you can do to reduce corruption is to get a WLTKD going in the corrupt cities. This can give a major boost.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:56   #12
Zachriel
King

Re: Question about automating workers, and captured cities.......
Quote:
Originally posted by wvfoos
First, when you automate workers, is there any way to keep them from changing existing improvements?
Shift-A as already mentioned, plus Ctrl-Shift-I to improve around a specific city.

Quote:
the corruption/waste make them basically useless. What can I do with them? I've got 1.29f, and I put the corruption down to 80% in the editor before starting the game, but still, cities that are not that far away seem to lose all but one sheild to waste.
If they need improvements, just buy them. If you have a strong, productive and profitable core, then you should have plenty of ready cash to build Courthouses, Police Stations, and whatever else you might want or need. Or just build a Temple and forget about them. Or build lots of workers.

Kabul needs massive infusions of cash to build important infrastructure. Even then, it will won't approach the productivity of Detroit.
Old October 21, 2002, 07:58   #13
Gunter
Warlord

Is there a way to automate them in this way?

Auto mine only

Auto irrigate only

Auto road only

Auto rail only etc???

Thanks

Gunter
Old October 21, 2002, 09:45   #14
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39

HOTKEY DESCRIPTION
-------------- --------------------------------
A Automate
SHIFT-I Auto-nearest city only
SHIFT-A Auto-no alter improvements
CTRL-SHIFT-I Auto-nearest city/no alter imprv
SHIFT-P Auto-clean pollution only
SHIFT-F Auto-clear forest only
SHIFT-J Auto-clear jungle only
I Irrigate
CTRL-I Irrigate to nearest city
SHIFT-C Clear forest
SHIFT-C Clear jungle
SHIFT-C Clear pollution
CTRL-F Build fortress
M Mine
N Reforest
R Build road
SHIFT-R Build railroad
B Join city-adds one citizen
B Build colony
CTRL-B Build road to waypoint/Colonize
CTRL-R Build road to waypoint
CTRL-SHIFT-R Build railroad to waypoint
CTRL-N Build trade (road/railroad)network (doesn’t work too well)
--Woody Allen
Old October 21, 2002, 13:22   #15
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
as i've just said in the other thread on this subject, remote ( oversea ) cities are pretty much useless production wise and you'll just have to hope that your treasury is full enough to rush through any projects that you want built in less than 50 - 80 turns.
Actually I discovered that remote cities go from one shield to two after I build the FP, no matter where I build it. It seems like a pittance, except for the fact that your production DOUBLES in these cities. Can reduce even more with a rushed CH.