Old October 20, 2002, 23:41   #1
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So, I've been thinking - Apoc's gamble
Shortly after starting the Area 25 thread, I went to the gym. I get incredibly bored at the gym, especially when there is nothing on TV, so I just thought about the technology sitution.

Astronomy was researched, what? 20, 25 turns ago? Someone is probably going to get Navigation in the next turnchat or so. MWIA might want to stop the chat right there in case someone does have it. There is no sense in researching it because it will already be researched, btw.

Here is where the problem comes in. Navigation is an expensive tech. I think Reddwag has allocated only 400 for trades. Nav will cost us at least 600 unless we work in some resources or luxury, which we probably won't be able to. I believe we should buy it for whatever the cost. Maybe we can then sell it to Greece, maybe also getting Metallurgy cheaper since Greece seems to be having money problems as they didn't get Economics right off the bat.

We might as well ready our Galleys for travel. As soon as we get Navigation send the one of the mainland immediately east and the one off Uber immediate west. The one off Uber probably won't find the lost civs, but it might find an island between us and the Russians since there seems to be a lot of sea east of the Ruskies. England will probably get Nav pretty soon too so we will be in a race for starting off from the East. Rome will start by sending their ships west. This will basically be a race to find a lost continent. Germany will send their ship in the lake and quickly find that they are idiots. Remember, though it isn't stated, Galleys don't sink once you have Navigation. I don't believe there is enough time to send it back to get an upgrade anyway.

Now, if we find the lost civs first with this method, we will more than get our money back as you all know. We will even get new luxuries probably. If we haven't bought Metallurgy by this time, we will be able to get it along with a huge amount of LPT.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 21, 2002, 04:25   #2
Sean
Prince

Local Time: 09:39
A compelling argument indeed! If we are to have a period of consolidation, concentrating on infrastracture extra, then this is certainly worth the risk.

But if mil plans are afoot, then Mil. Trad. would be invaluable. It would also improve home defence.
Old October 21, 2002, 04:38   #3
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:39
I agree- let's set our sails and sail towards the unknown!

and besides, exploring across the ocean used to be a dangerous venture, there's no reason we can't risk more lytons for it- this adventure will surely be fun, and perhaps even profitable...
Old October 21, 2002, 05:29   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:39
Yikes! If we do get Navigation in the 2-3 turns I intend to play this chat, I really badly hope that we DON'T discover these other civs by some miracle this time. This will require extensive discussion with the Foreign Ministry to determine what is acceptable and what isn't in trades with these hitherto unknown quantities.

So.... I would like to open debate about what we will do when we discover said civs, assuming that we are the first to find them.

This will all be highly provisional, of course, seeing as we have little idea what techs they will have, no idea of their extent, diplomatic status etc, but it's still worth thinking about.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 21, 2002, 05:45   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
I support stopping the game when Navigation is discovered, and the same for when the a lost civ is discovered, even if FM officials will be present in the chat. Both events deserve extensive discussion in the forum.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 21, 2002, 05:47   #6
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

You're absolutely right, MWIA, but we need to get to Nav first- then explore- when we find whatever it is to be found- then we definitely pause the game, let UnOrthO post a grand Gazzette issue, celebrate a bit, then get a clear picture of what to do.

This is going to be fun...
Old October 21, 2002, 09:26   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:39
I fully support getting Navigation ASAP by any means and cost necessary.

I believe once we have it ALL other issues should be put on hold while all resources possible (Money/ports) concentrate on ships for the next 2 turns.

Then we resume normal game status and elect/appoint an Admiral of the Navy to plot ship movements of the newly built fleet.

Perhaps, having one person in charge of each ship.

If we do this, I plan on adding an option to the $Mini-Game where citizens can choose specific ships and back them like Merchant Companies and the backers of the first ship to contact the Lost Civs will get HUGE profits. (I thought it would be fun and get the demogamers more into hunting down the lost civs )
Old October 21, 2002, 11:05   #8
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
I fully support the Apoc's gamble. And the Ghengis Plan, as a natural development.
Old October 21, 2002, 11:41   #9
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Yikes! If we do get Navigation in the 2-3 turns I intend to play this chat, I really badly hope that we DON'T discover these other civs by some miracle this time. This will require extensive discussion with the Foreign Ministry to determine what is acceptable and what isn't in trades with these hitherto unknown quantities.

So.... I would like to open debate about what we will do when we discover said civs, assuming that we are the first to find them.

This will all be highly provisional, of course, seeing as we have little idea what techs they will have, no idea of their extent, diplomatic status etc, but it's still worth thinking about.
I agree, that is definately a show stopper (unless Togas is present at the chat). I suggest getting everything that can be done at that time (CP, PW, SMC moves - but no combat), except for spending monies, and then post the save. THat would be a pre turn 0 for the next round of orders.

E_T
Old October 21, 2002, 12:26   #10
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:39
I agree with what has been discussed so far here. I'll make a point to spare no expense when Navigation becomes available. Let's prepare those ships in the mean time so that they may set sail at the earliest opportunity.

I would like to add that if another Civ is found, our first goal would be to trade for Communication with all of them, then exchange maps. I would not give them communication with any of the Abananba Civs until, perhaps the next chat and after we've discussed how to take full advantage of each side's lack of information of the other.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 21, 2002, 13:18   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Galleys need upgraded to Caravels first.

Navigation keeps Caravels from sinking, not Galleys accoriding to the entires in the Civ 1.21f Encylopedia.

Upgrade existing Galleys to Caravels now so they'll be ready to go when Navigation is discovered.
Old October 21, 2002, 14:10   #12
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:39
Joncnunn, I never saw a Galley sinking after Navigation. In my games, at least.
Old October 21, 2002, 14:49   #13
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I've never still had Galleys by the time Navigation was discovered because I always upgrade them to Caravels the turn Astromeny is discovered.

Why needlesssly risk having a galley sink when we can upgrade them now by taking them to a harbor?
Old October 21, 2002, 15:00   #14
Apocalypse
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMMacInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

No! There may not be enough time. Trust me, I rarely upgrade the Galleys and they never sink.
"In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd
Old October 21, 2002, 17:19   #15
zeit
King

All evidence points to the fact that galleys+Nav= traverse ocean safely, so let's just do it when time comes, and save those few lytons and perhaps even precious time.
Old October 21, 2002, 18:45   #16
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
No! There may not be enough time. Trust me, I rarely upgrade the Galleys and they never sink.
The galleys shouldn't sink. I have never had one sink.

Navigation is a major priority and I know that once we make contact with other civs we will be raking in the cash. We must find the other civs first!

Sell your photos
Old October 21, 2002, 20:41   #17
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Local Time: 05:39
Absolutly Apoc. I'm glad you're making my job so easy for me
Old October 21, 2002, 23:03   #18
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I support Apoc's gamble. We must get Navigation, no matter the cost... and we must find the lost civs before anyone else on Ababanana does!
Old October 21, 2002, 23:30   #19
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, the IE, MoS, and FM all support this. All we really need now is the MoE on board.
Old October 22, 2002, 00:13   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypse
Well, the IE, MoS, and FM all support this. All we really need now is the MoE on board.
Oh, I see how it is the PW doesn't even rank in the support column!

Maybe, I'll have some workers lurk around the shipyards drilling holes in all your ships..............
Old October 22, 2002, 02:47   #21
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
Galleys need upgraded to Caravels first.

Navigation keeps Caravels from sinking, not Galleys accoriding to the entires in the Civ 1.21f Encylopedia.

Upgrade existing Galleys to Caravels now so they'll be ready to go when Navigation is discovered.
Firaxis Galley Answer :

Quote:
It is neither a bug nor a cheat. The AI can move galleys over oceans because it has discovered Navigation or Magnetism. The human can also move galleys over oceans once s/he has discovered Navigation or Magnetism.
In another post, one of the Firaxians mentions that the civilopedia entry about Galleys is wrong.
Old October 22, 2002, 14:33   #22
Apocalypse
Emperor

Well, Ghengis, your input as former IE minister is helpful of PW doesn't work unless we find some luxury on a newly discoverd island we need to connect.