Old October 24, 2002, 12:03   #31
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
A coalition against the leader is a tried and true tactic in any MP game. For the most part, players forget their loyalties if shown a plan that moves them one further position up the totem pole. I've used this technique in board and computer games for ages. All you need for it to work is real diplomacy. The problem is holding onto the lead yourself when you've screwed the other players over to get there.
Old October 24, 2002, 13:25   #32
BillChin
Warlord

Local Time: 01:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Warpstorms MP strategy that will tick you off - research Communism and declare war with everyone who is using a representative gov't and don't end it ever.
This strategy may work against an inexperienced player in Democracy with a non-religious civ. A player with Republic and Universal Suffrage can stay at war close to forever. A player with a religious civ can switch out of Democracy when needed.

If you declare war against two or three Republics they can up their luxuries and still out tech a Communist. If they get pissed off they will cooperate and trade their techs and within about 40 turns the Commie will be facing bombers and Modern Armor. With two or three against one, the Commie will not last long and the war will end

I believe Communism needs a major upgrade for MP if it is ever to be used in a competitive game. Democracy also needs a slight bump up to compensate for the excessive war weariness vs. Republic.

I have posted some of my ideas on the AU threads. For Communism, the current idea is free building maintenance so they have some gold. I am also pushing for more unit support for Communism, but have not got it approved. I propose ten free units plus doubled unit support 4/8/16 (vs. 2/4/8). This would allow small Communist empires to field a decent army and also let a human role play the huge conscript armies favored by historical Communist states. For Democracy 0/1/2 unit support so it has a clear gold and tech edge over Republic.
- Bill