Old October 21, 2002, 21:57   #1
Bubba
Warlord

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
CTP1 & 2 Units?
Has anyone been able to import CTP1/2 units into Civ 3?
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2002, 10:32   #2
Bubba
Warlord

Bump
Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2002, 16:28   #3
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 10:41
It is impossible AFAWK to extract the component frames out of CtP sprite files. The CtP1/2 community has been attempting to do so for about 3 or 4 years. Data is lost in the compression process, and is probably irretreivable - despite the fact that Activision gave us half the source code for the decompression algorithm.

Other than doing it directly, the best method we found was to take a screen-vid (like a screen shot, but with video) and cut out the bits we wanted.
Oh, and because of stacked combat (), you'll probably only be able to get two angles of attack animation, not all 5.

So unfortunately for you, the flow of unit graphics between Civ3 and CtP is one way. And its not the one you want.
Old October 28, 2002, 19:54   #4
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

So Civ3 unit graphics can be imported to CtP2 but not the other way around lol!

Civ3 is sooo unmoddable (excluding other graphics eg terrain)
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
SMIFFGIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2002, 23:35   #5
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

While we are on the topic of extracting graphics...

I noticed that there have been a lot of AOK graphics reproduced for civ3. Can we get Empire Earth Graphics in to Civ?
Old October 29, 2002, 16:17   #6
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:41
Strange, I always found CTP as the most unmoddable of all Civilisation Games (I think one can count the available mods for CTP using less than the fingers on both hands)
"The way I understand it the Russians are a combination of evil and incompetence- sort off like the Post Office with tanks..." M. Phillips THIRD REICH TEAM
W.I.N.T.E.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2002, 19:02   #7
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Probably because the main mods (CD's mod, the Apolyton Pack and then Wes' MedMod) were so definitive that nobody else needed to mod it

Its not as easy to learn or begin to mod perhaps, but in terms of potential, CtP and CtP2 are absolute light years ahead of Civ2 or 3. Sure the graphics are harder to mod perhaps. It took us 5 years to get into the Tile Files, there weren't enough artists arouind to make many fan-units in full animated 3D, and we can't edit sprites, but that's not to say it can't be done - and when it's done properly, it can be as good as the graphics that came with the game.

CtP2, btw, which runs on practically an identical file system to CtP1 has about 6 or 7 different mods (and by this I don't mean "kewl, I gave tanks extra hit-points!" - I mean complete overhauls), as well as over 2 dozen add-ons and SLIC scripts, the existance of which on their own could put Civ3's "scenario editor" () to shame...
Old October 29, 2002, 19:10   #8
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

Hmmm, I still think 5 years is a loooong time In my opinion a game is modable when one is "able to mod"... may need a bit of time, but 5 years is ridiculous (and who knows what fans will make out of Civ3 once the right tools are at our disposal just remember civ2- the first mods and what people can do now- in TOT you can even write scripts and link maps vertically and horizontally - again special tools are needed for the latter )
"The way I understand it the Russians are a combination of evil and incompetence- sort off like the Post Office with tanks..." M. Phillips THIRD REICH TEAM
Old October 30, 2002, 03:47   #9
Wise Ass
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Team BananaC4BtSDG Team Banana
Prince

Yeah but with Civ 2 you were given that ability from Micropose, where as with CTP2 Activision abandon ship a little more quickly (No Expansions ).

The things done for CTP2 will go unmatched for a long time.
Old October 30, 2002, 09:11   #10
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

Yes I think the problem was the shape CTP 1 came out (half-finish) I think I lost some hair when trying to add a unit (well, I managed to add a transport plane, but that was just copy/paste of somebody else's findings )
Old October 30, 2002, 09:56   #11
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Well,5 years was only the tile graphics. Everything else has been available from the start.

Quote:
and who knows what fans will make out of Civ3 once the right tools are at our disposal
Who knows how long that will take
Old October 30, 2002, 10:33   #12
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

point taken
Old October 31, 2002, 01:06   #13
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Between the CTP1, CTP2 and fan created sprites, there's probably close to 200 good units for CTP2. And with the ease of creating custom tga files for those sprites, that unit list is actually infinite...

If a computer semi-illiterate like me can create a Mod, then that speaks volumes about how easy it is to create a CTP2 Mod!!!

Sorry there is no contest between moddability between CTP2 and civ3. CTP2 wins hands down.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 06:25   #14
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 19:41
I have to agree with IW and Hex and the other CTP2 commenters. CTP2 is so EASY to mod. And as for "how long it takes", for CTP2 we had two complete overhauls (and I mean most concepts of CTP2) within 6 months, that being the Apolyton Pack for CTP2 (what we've dubbed the unofficial patch) and Cradle for CTP2 (still regarded as the best mod). And the fact that both these mods have been re-released adding more enhancements/refinements/concepts adds testament to the moddability of CTP2. And then we look at other mods. Wes's MedMod for CTP2, which stands in the top three played, Goodmod which delves deeply into the AI's mind, World at War which is 600 turns of CTP2 from 1900-1950 (regarded as the most aggressive right from turn 1), as well as upcoming mods, History of the World by Locutus (who's name is synonimous with CTP1 & 2), Ages of Man which is introducing new concepts like Religion and populace colonisation, and many others in progress.

And then we need to look at ad-hoc scripts/events written for CTP2:
- bribery code
- wonders on the main map
- natural wonders of the world
- barb enhancements
- the civ3 worker concept (can you take away the worker from Civ3 and implement PW? I did the opposite for CTP2)

So basically it comes down to, CTP2 may be dificult to learn to mod to how the small core of modders have got to (it's taken us a few years), but you can write a full overhaul of CTP2 in a weekend, and that includes learning how to mod! We can create new concepts, events, orders, etc for CTP2. In Civ3 you can even change exisiting events.

When it comes to modability, CTP2 is as mentioned above, LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF CIV3!!!!
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 07:28   #15
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

Probabaly- I never bought CTP2- If you re-read my posts you will find that I wrote about the original CTP, which confronted "computer illiterates" (and I wouldn't like to exclude myself here) with severe problems.....

BTW- 5 or 6 total conversions is not so much IMHO (I want better tooooools for CivIII- does anyone know if PTW is out in the UK already???)
Old October 31, 2002, 07:29   #16
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

BTW- is there a biplane in CTP2- because if there is I think I have seen someone importing it into CivIII (but I could easily be wrong)
Old October 31, 2002, 10:21   #17
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by W.I.N.T.E.R
BTW- 5 or 6 total conversions is not so much IMHO...
...mainly because the community is small to begin with. This does not give the true picture of just how good a CTP2 game is though - all I can say is read the following threads

Here...

...and here

There is a fan-created CTP2 biplane.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old October 31, 2002, 10:43   #18
W.I.N.T.E.R
Chieftain

Perhaps I'll give CTP2 a try- if I find it cheap somewhere

I liked many features of CTP1 but was dterred after finding out that the many (large) patches didn't fix all the flaws- it soon got the "un-playable" tag and dissapeared back into its box

When CTP2 came out it looked too much like its predecessor, that's why I didn't buy it - unfortunate that a good game got so neglected by many...
Old October 31, 2002, 11:02   #19
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I just find it interesting that players like Velociryx and Ogie, after doing their best to avoid trying CTP2 because of negative stereotypes about it actually decided to give it a try and came away impressed by it.

...and yes, CTP2 had to be modded, but the bottom line is that it is a very good game now.

And it is cheap now!!!