Old October 22, 2002, 04:23   #1
Raiche23
Chieftain

Local Time: 01:42
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Question about amount of civs.
Does anybody know if you can play with more than 16 civilizations.

Now with the PTW expansion there is going to be 24 civs.

Will you be able to play all 24 in one giant game or just choose 16 from the list?
Old October 22, 2002, 05:12   #2
Nym
Prince

Local Time: 10:42
AFAIK it is not possible with 'basic' civ3 and I do not think it is possible with a mod.
Concerning PTW, you should try the PTW forum, you will have more chance to get an answer.
Old October 22, 2002, 05:42   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:42
You can play 24 at once now if you have 8 spare civs with a few minutes in the editor.

PTW is supposed to allow 31 at once.
Old October 22, 2002, 08:02   #4
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:42
Anyway, 24 civs in anything below super-extra-hyper-huge maps will make the game unplayable, IMHO. And a super-extra-hyper-huge map will render the game unplayable too, so...
Old October 22, 2002, 08:12   #5
WarpStorm
King

Actually, I've tried 24 on a standard size map and it's far from unplayable. It's different. You only have room for a handful of cities before you can't peacefully expand . Keeping track of diplomacy is much harder due to the fact that you can only see the relations between 8 civs at a time. Early techs were coming very fast, but it slowed down because small empires can't have massive research budgets. In addition, the Wonder Cascade effect made getting wonders very difficult with 12+ players trying for the same wonder. Since I played on a standard random map it was jam packed with strategic and luxury resources.

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to try a 24 tiny.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:42   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:42
How painful it must be to try to look at the foreign advisor screen with 24 civs.
Old October 22, 2002, 17:26   #7
Raiche23
Chieftain

I made a tiny map with 16 civs. Fun as hell. everyone had like 3-6 cities, action throughtout the whole thing. If you can get 24 well then that would be awesome.
Old October 22, 2002, 17:35   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
How painful it must be to try to look at the foreign advisor screen with 24 civs.
You can't. You can only see 8 at a time. What's painful is trying to get the entire diplomatic picture in your mind at once. I can't. I usually figure out who the players I care about are and figure out their relationships.
Old October 22, 2002, 18:59   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:42
That was my point, you have to keep clicking to see them and try to remember what it was you saw.
Old October 23, 2002, 00:00   #10
Raiche23
Chieftain

All I do is click on the link in the bottom right hand corner and that brings up a list of all the civs, and then i talk to them one at a time.
Old October 23, 2002, 00:40   #11
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Actually, I've tried 24 on a standard size map and it's far from unplayable. It's different. You only have room for a handful of cities before you can't peacefully expand . Keeping track of diplomacy is much harder due to the fact that you can only see the relations between 8 civs at a time. Early techs were coming very fast, but it slowed down because small empires can't have massive research budgets. In addition, the Wonder Cascade effect made getting wonders very difficult with 12+ players trying for the same wonder. Since I played on a standard random map it was jam packed with strategic and luxury resources.

How do you enable the 24 civs to be played in regular Civ3? I have the apolyton civ pack added, and can pick from 24 civs, but can't seem to change it in the editor.
Old October 23, 2002, 20:19   #12
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel

How do you enable the 24 civs to be played in regular Civ3? I have the apolyton civ pack added, and can pick from 24 civs, but can't seem to change it in the editor.

I would like to know this also. Please?
Old October 23, 2002, 21:02   #13
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 02:42
Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Quote:
Originally posted by ACooper
I would like to know this also. Please?
Launch the editor application (Civ3Edit). Under the heading "Scenario" click "Custom Rules." Click through the annoying (but probably appropriate) "Rules Editor Enabled: Use caution as changes made using the rules editor can have unpredictable results" pop-up. Under the heading "Rules" select "Edit Rules." Within the rules window, select the "World Sizes" tab. From the drop down, select your desired world size. Move to the info box and adjust the "Number of Civs" variable. Save as a scenario (i.e., "Crowded World Scenario"). Launch Civ 3 and choose "Load Scenario" instead of New Game. Select your scenario with the modded rules re: number of civs, and then proceed as you normally would (map size, randomness of world properties, civs, etc.).

Disclaimer: I haven't done this with 24 civs -- this is just how to do it with more (or less) than the "standard" number of civs on any given map size.

Have fun!

Catt
Old October 23, 2002, 21:08   #14
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

Launch the editor application (Civ3Edit). Under the heading "Scenario" click "Custom Rules." Click through the annoying (but probably appropriate) "Rules Editor Enabled: Use caution as changes made using the rules editor can have unpredictable results" pop-up. Under the heading "Rules" select "Edit Rules." Within the rules window, select the "World Sizes" tab. From the drop down, select your desired world size. Move to the info box and adjust the "Number of Civs" variable. Save as a scenario (i.e., "Crowded World Scenario"). Launch Civ 3 and choose "Load Scenario" instead of New Game. Select your scenario with the modded rules re: number of civs, and then proceed as you normally would (map size, randomness of world properties, civs, etc.).

Disclaimer: I haven't done this with 24 civs -- this is just how to do it with more (or less) than the "standard" number of civs on any given map size.

Have fun!

Catt
I think i've tried this, but will double check.
Old October 23, 2002, 21:09   #15
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:42
Quote:
Sounds like one massive muti OCC

PTW will have bigger maps, so game like these could be feasable.
They might take up to a year to finish, but still
Old October 23, 2002, 21:24   #16
WarpStorm
King

Oops, my bad.
Old October 23, 2002, 21:38   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 02:42
you get more resources with more civs?

I never knew that. I was playing a premade map I downloaded and it had many resources. but I also played a large map with more civs. I usually only play standard maps with 8 civs.
Old October 23, 2002, 21:55   #18
ACooper
Prince

Local Time: 03:42
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

Have fun!

Catt
Ok. I have done this to make 16 civs on a tiny map and above but, you can't choose an integer more than 16 on any map size.
Old October 23, 2002, 22:10   #19
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Oops, my bad.
So how is PTW, eh Warpstorm? I guess they gave you a copy in thanks for the sweet tileset, right?
Old October 23, 2002, 22:11   #20
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Or are you a betatester, Warp? Did you blow your cover? 24 civs? hah!
Old October 24, 2002, 01:20   #21
Raiche23
Chieftain

In Play The World, you can select up 31 civs on any size map, but for scenario only.

Weird how they just didn't make it 32 and the fact that with the addon there is still only 24....
Old October 24, 2002, 02:02   #22
asleepathewheel
Emperor

I think the 32nd civ are the barbarians, but I could be wrong.
Old October 24, 2002, 06:44   #23
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:42
your right, the 32 are the barbarians.

edit:
*removed as promised *

Last edited by alva; October 24, 2002 at 11:50.