Old October 23, 2002, 01:12   #1
bigvic
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the beauty of cruise missiles
wow! just discovered the wonder of cruise missiles. perfect for the democracy at war that does not want to get bogged down with a huge, expensive, military. playing the americans, cranking out units like no tomorrow, but democracy. cruise missiles blow thinngs up real good, and don't stick around to weigh down your economy. nice!

i like ibble blibble
Old October 23, 2002, 05:46   #2
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
... and when they target cities, they only hit defending units. No collateral damage (e.g., marketplaces).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 23, 2002, 11:02   #3
bigvic
Prince

really? did not notice that, but now that you say it.....though kind of a non issue, since all those thinbgs but a few like aqueducts, barracks and hospitals get blowed up anyway.......

i like ibble blibble
Old October 23, 2002, 11:51   #4
planetfall
Prince

Blown up or sold by AI before you enter city?

-- PF
Old October 25, 2002, 02:05   #5
wilbill
Warlord

Local Time: 05:44
They make great defensive units for outlying cities. A few cruise missiles can really knock down a stack of MA getting ready to attack. I've started using a couple of them stacked with a MI for my "border guard" outposts. Much cheaper than adding a 2nd or 3rd MI.
Old October 25, 2002, 02:12   #6
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 09:44
Hmmmmm coastal defence. The joy of it.
Old October 25, 2002, 07:19   #7
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 11:44
To bad you can't ship them by boat or air. This has so far prevented me from building them, as I normally own my home continent by the time I get them. It would make sense if they could be loaded and unloaded from transports and if nuclear subs and Aegis Cruiser could be used as launch platforms later in the game.
Old October 25, 2002, 07:42   #8
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Local Time: 05:44
I think it was Vulture who found a way to ship them but I'll be damned if I remember what the trick was. This was written about in the thread for the AU game where you started just after nationalism on a small island and were forced to win by domination in an endless modern era war. Can't remember what that was called either. Excuse me, going for coffee.......
Old October 25, 2002, 08:31   #9
player1
Emperor

Couldn't you just ship them with Transports?

Or that was changed with later patches?
Old October 25, 2002, 08:32   #10
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 10:44
If you want Cruise Missiles to be "shippable" just click the "load" and "unload" options in the Editor. You can just as easily click the "airlift" option as well.
Old October 25, 2002, 13:58   #11
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Haven't done it in a while, but IIRC you can load cruise missles onto transports. The trick is, you can't load them onton ships in cities, you must have a ship on the coast and can then manually move the CM onto the ship. (BTW, this always struck me as a "bug" or flaw in programming, as opposed to an intentional feature).

Catt
Old October 25, 2002, 14:27   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Catt, you remember correctly. I do it all the time (i.e., my games never end before cruise missiles).

Olaf, please note Catt's post: Yes you CAN ship cruise missiles. Very valuable against metro defenses and MI.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:39   #13
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Catt, you remember correctly. I do it all the time (i.e., my games never end before cruise missiles).

Olaf, please note Catt's post: Yes you CAN ship cruise missiles. Very valuable against metro defenses and MI.
I belive cruise missiles will be my favorite weapon after this. Thanks! I prefer to take cities as they are, not with all improvements thrashed.

But it should be included in the out-of-the-box-game, not as a feature or bug in the 5th patch.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:58   #14
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

I belive cruise missiles will be my favorite weapon after this. Thanks! I prefer to take cities as they are, not with all improvements thrashed.

But it should be included in the out-of-the-box-game, not as a feature or bug in the 5th patch.
I think the "no airlift / no transport cruise missles" is properly called a design decision -- there are many that one can disagree with, some changeable in the editor and others not (i.e., no upgrading army units, lethal bombarment, no airlifting workers, etc.).

The reason the specific issue of transporting cruise missles strikes me as "buggy" is because they are not given the "Load" flags in the editor by default, and they can't load into transports from a city -- every other unit that "properly" can load from the shore can also load from the city -- why the difference for cruise missles?

In any case, when I get into the modern ages and am fighting wars, I do like their ability to sink ships and, depending on circumstances, I love their hard-coded propensity to strike defenders and not improvements (it's hard to occupy and pacify a city of 15 people when the marketplace has been destroyed ).

Catt
Old October 25, 2002, 17:45   #15
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

In any case, when I get into the modern ages and am fighting wars, I do like their ability to sink ships and, depending on circumstances, I love their hard-coded propensity to strike defenders and not improvements (it's hard to occupy and pacify a city of 15 people when the marketplace has been destroyed ).

Catt
Lethal bombardment? I did not see that. And I tried the game a lot! Perhaps I should use cruise missiles more. In my current game, I'm on a large continent and in war with 3 neighburs. Rocketry is only 3 turns away. They will suffer!

Edit: Don't write in the forums when drunk!

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; October 26, 2002 at 03:11.
Old October 28, 2002, 15:34   #16
bbaws
Warlord

To be fair to Firaxis units in transports can be woken up at sea. If cruise missiles behaved as other units do a transport full of them would be an incredibly offensive unit. Still is sloppy, though.
Old October 28, 2002, 16:06   #17
bigvic
Prince

i load them in transports....its all in the editor i think. lots of little easy to overlook flags and checkboxes, but i somehow managed to get them to behave as much like normal units as possible. as for trannies, you still could not launc them unless, i think.....you gave the trannies missle packing tran ability - though not so sure at that one....

fact is, i modded so much and have played nothing but, i sometimes forget what the game was like "out of the box", or at least out of the box and patched up.

i like ibble blibble
Old October 30, 2002, 03:56   #18
bbaws
Warlord

What I hate about cruise missiles:
using a stack of 150 in one turn of hyperwar then being left with three and rebuilding the stocks for the next twenty turns.
Old October 30, 2002, 04:16   #19
DaveMcW
Prince

But you're making +75 gpt on average for those 20 turns
Old October 30, 2002, 13:09   #20
bigvic
Prince

yeah, the perfect war machine for the democratic wormonger

i like ibble blibble
Old October 30, 2002, 13:10   #21
bigvic
Prince

PS - especially for the industrious democratic warmonger - like the americans!

i like ibble blibble
Old October 30, 2002, 15:23   #22
bbaws
Warlord

Dave yes I save some gold but It hampers my territorial ambitions. YukYuk
Old October 30, 2002, 16:05   #23
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 10:44
btw, cruise missiles ARE already shipable by sea transport, you just can't "load" them, you have to manually move them onto a transport which is at the coast. very wierd. doen't work with tac nukes unfortunately. Hell you should be able to load cruise missile on AEGIS cruisers, but oh no....