Old October 23, 2002, 01:34   #1
laissez-faire
Chieftain

Local Time: 18:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Average Game Length
A question posed to the upper tier of players (and if you're wondering whether or not to consider yourself in that tier, I say, "Yes, the more input the better!"):

On average how long do your games last? If you play a few hours every day, how many days before claiming victory? I just wanted to see where I stand in terms of turn contemplation time.

I find myself playing at Monarch Level on standard maps mostly because the games last too long above that, and I begin to lose my interest. Most of the fun for me comes in the Ancient to Middle Ages. I hate nothing more than a post-Integrated-Defense showdown where it's not so much strategy, but more a question of who-can-build-a-bigger-military.

So, on standard maps, at a few hours a day, I'm spending about four days on a game. Thereabouts. Too slow? Too fast? I don't win every time, maybe half the time. I'm trying to perfect my early strategies and how well I can rebound if something major doesn't go my way (a la coming in second on the construction of the GL wonder).

n.b. Reading these forums has enhanced my game considerably.
Old October 23, 2002, 06:17   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:44
standard game : hmmm +30hours
I'm a very slow player, and hardly ever reach modern so it could be alot longer
Old October 23, 2002, 16:54   #3
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:44
I play emperor level on large maps, while a game usually ends around two weeks after beginning a new one
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old October 23, 2002, 17:07   #4
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
My last game was probably representative. Standard/Continents/8 Civs/Emperor (movin' on up from Monarch).

I started it last Tuesday evening around 6:30pm. I went to bed at 2:30am the next morning. I fired it back up again around 6pm the next day and played until 3am. Finally, I played from about 6pm until midnight Thursday night.

So that's approximately 23 hours. *Yawn* I haven't played since, feeling kinda drained.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 23, 2002, 19:47   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Arrain, that should be so draining, I play from when I get up after 9 till I go to bed. That is after 1 usually, except for when I have to go out to dinner or what ever she drags me off to. Of course it is not always Civ. Yeah, Iknow get a life, but I am too old for that. Even the grandkids barely inerrupt the games, most days.
Old October 24, 2002, 15:53   #6
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

laissez-faire

You are absolutely normal. The fun is usually in the early game for me and the late game holds interest when I'm behind or it's a close SS race. We've had a couple of fun Modern Era war games in AU, but they are the exception. If you are 5 techs ahead, the biggest civ, and have rubber, coal, iron, and oil. Declare victory and get out.
Old October 24, 2002, 19:05   #7
badman
Warlord

i usually restart at the beginning of the industrial times because moving around 200+ tanks and fighters and infantries and so on is extremely boring to me
i like huge maps for their great atmosphere but my computer is kinda slow so i normally play on standard size maps.
and i have those times when civ really bores me when i dont play civ for a few weeks and i have those times when i am really enthusiastic (dont know how to spell that word ) because my skill level increased or something like that (like recently when i found out that i can beat emperor without being a complete warmongerer (i still have to do some early fights)) when i play the whole day
Old October 25, 2002, 02:21   #8
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 09:44
Huge map 16 civs a week of eight hour days usually does it on conquest only. If you are finding the late game boring my tip would be to trade techs earlier. One tech ahead is a good target. Tanks vs infantry is more fun than tanks versus spearmen. The tricky bit in the late game is getting a lasting peace so that you can get WLTKD going in your captured territories to reduce corruption. The really time consuming thing is planting all those forests and chopping them for the bonus.
Old October 25, 2002, 14:35   #9
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
3 weeks (standard map) to 3 months (huge). 20-30 hours per week.
I STILL never automate or shift-A my workers (just shift-P them).
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 25, 2002, 15:11   #10
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
The really time consuming thing is planting all those forests and chopping them for the bonus.
Wow, still playing the original release? That was removed via patch a long time ago (you still get 10 shields for cutting a forest tile, but you may no longer plant & chop over and over). The 1.29 patch is very good, I suggest you download it.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 26, 2002, 07:18   #11
bbaws
Warlord

Local Time: 09:44
No I am not playing the original release. But I do still plant and chop forest on every available tile. This tends to mean that it takes perhaps 3 times as long to settle land than it does to conquer it.
Old October 26, 2002, 09:05   #12
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 10:44
l-f, my games tend to be just about the same length as yours, just zipped into fewer days. If I start a Standard map with 8 civs on Regent (or now Monarch) on Sunday morning, I will finish by Monday evening usually, sleeping from 3am to 9am... winning (if at all, that is) mostly between 1900-2000 AD (mostly space ship launches, as I do not love extensive warmongering). Something like 25-30 hours on average, I would say.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:57   #13
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Wow, still playing the original release? That was removed via patch a long time ago (you still get 10 shields for cutting a forest tile, but you may no longer plant & chop over and over). The 1.29 patch is very good, I suggest you download it.

-Arrian
1 thing though, wen entering a new age you can rechop your self-planted forests.
(with shield bonus off-course)

btw: this works for forest planted by the AI aswell
(possible exploit for PTW??)
Old October 26, 2002, 14:00   #14
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It sounds like he is saying that it is plant and cut on a tile that did not have forrest to start with, that is allowed. You just can't cut forrest, plant and cut again and get shields. The gang of workers planting in one turn cutting on the next was stopped. Well you can do it, but no shields. I seem to recall a bit about not being able to pile workers for the task as only so many will be effective, but I could have my wires crossed. It was not an exploit I used.