Old October 30, 2002, 02:45   #31
Atragon
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
On the topic of mods...

I think it'd be pretty cool if someone did an Honorverse mod for Moo3.
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2002, 05:16   #32
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:44
So long as I can play the Peeps, that's fine with me.
Old October 30, 2002, 11:24   #33
Mr. Orange
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Do y'all think it will be easy to create mods in MOO3? It seems modding was on the "cut" list. Will there be an editor?

And becasue on my bump...

IMO GalCiv's sounds interesting but honestly, the species seem weak. The Yor... The Torians... *yawn*. Enough with the generics. To me, the species diversification is a major draw of MOO3. Like the speices that thrives in Gas Giants!

Question?

Peeps as in people... or the sugar coated marshmellow chicks that come during the spring in the US? Because if you mean modding a army of sugar coated marshmellow chickens, it would be awesome! :grin:
Mr. Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2002, 14:42   #34
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd guess that like Civ III it won't be extensively moddable on release. That'll be something else for them to consider expanding later.
Old October 30, 2002, 19:12   #35
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Orange
Peeps as in people... or the sugar coated marshmellow chicks that come during the spring in the US? Because if you mean modding a army of sugar coated marshmellow chickens, it would be awesome! :grin:
Oh, the chickens would be cool. But in this particular instance the Peeps are the gentlemen representing the People's Republic of Haven in David Weber's Honorverse.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:10   #36
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

Can you give me some direction to find out more about the Honorverse?
Old October 30, 2002, 22:19   #37
Atragon
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Orange
Can you give me some direction to find out more about the Honorverse?
The first two books in the Honor Harrington series are available for free online at the Baen free library, for ease, links are provided below:

Book 1: On Basilisk Station
http://www.baen.com/library/067157793X/067157793X.htm

Book 2: The Honor of the Queen
http://www.baen.com/library/0671578642/0671578642.htm
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 06:03   #38
moomin
King

Unfortunately, this is all hot air at this point. I understad that modability is on the list of things that was axed. Which, frankly, does not sit well with me at all - I think any modern game requires at least a serious editor.
Old October 31, 2002, 07:07   #39
Grumbold
Emperor

I'm less sure. In my personal experience, I only look for amateur or professional mods if the original game was flawed in some way or had gameplay elements I could not abide. Call to Power II was turned into a very good game with extensive modding because it badly needed some. Civ III was blamed for not having an editor that could modify its controversial aspects or allow specific scenarios to be created. If MOO3 rocks out of the box I can't think of any reason I'd want an editor.
Old October 31, 2002, 11:30   #40
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

Personally, my job is not to build games... I just want to play them.

However, I think there is a real good argument for the idea of a modern game needing an editor. If not for total overhauls, for small things like defensive values. It seems in the rush to put games out, things screw up. And only a dedicated fan would take the time to iron out kinks, especially if the game did not sell well and their is no incentive to fix them.

moomin --
Thanks for the links. I'll check it out over the weekend.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:49   #41
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
Mods have made many games lately stay on the charts and in the game mags. So it would seem that it is beneficial to the publishers to have the users making mods. Look at PTW, it has snoopys terrain included and lots of user scenarios.This adds content.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 15:42   #42
Mr. Orange
Chieftain

Lemme think...

It seems that most games are shipped with unseen bugs. Patches are created to iron out the problems if there is a demand for them. If not, the game goes to the wayside. However if an editor is in place, both user and developer can make alterations to upgrade the game. Or at least to take a concept and expand it in a different direction. It seems that a publisher might come up with an idea to make an editor that a player can use to create their own games?

Now I have heard of retail programs to make 3D enviroment games, but is there one (or would there be a market for) an RTS or TBS game editor? Do anyone think people would be interested?

Or is this redundant becasue why make this type of program because it would put the people already with this knowledge out of a job?
Old October 31, 2002, 16:05   #43
moomin
King

Well, I dunno. Civ2 was playable for years because it was modable. Same with SMAC. I think Neverwinter Nights will live on my HD for many years to come because of the excellent toolkit - there are new, clssy adventures and mods coming out from a large, dedicated fan base all the time. I think a good editor seriously prolongs the time any game stays interesting.
Old October 31, 2002, 21:12   #44
Sollos
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:44
I think it's a fun challenge to build a mod. It's a labour of love! Usually heavy on the labour part though.

Every gamer has an instinct for how a game could be patched or mod'ed. So many games had the potential to be amazing, but there was something flawed in their pacing, balance, etc, or the games were fine but opened up new ideas for expansion.

There was a big demand for 'Sacrifice' to be mod'ed, but Shiny Entertainment refused to hand over any tools or codes. MOO2 was another example, a really good game that could have been turned into something even better.

Our group experimented with an unpopular game, TA: Kingdoms, and made a pretty good mod for it.

I'd love to make a mod for MOO3, even if the game itself is fine as is. I'm sure there will be Corion3 programs appearing soon after MOO3's release.
Sollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2002, 22:01   #45
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:44
He I had fun with Kingdoms, although I did not care for Iron Plauge or whatever it was called.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote