Old October 23, 2002, 04:25   #1
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 10:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MPP strategy
Here was an interesting situation:

Three civs on a continent. Me, England and Russia.

We're all fairly high tech and have huge militaries. Russia is the weakest.

MPPs:

Me and England
Russia and England

Russia sends a bunch of Cossacks into my territory and then declares war on me when I demand their removal.

OK. That's fine. I can deal with a border war with Russia (even though I'm off fighting Babylon and Persia on another continent).

But how will England respond?

IMO, Russia is the aggressor (they declared war on me) and England should back me up. But alas...

Here's the weird thing. I attacked and killed the Cossacks in my territory (no chance against my Pansars) and England stayed quiet. Though, as soon as I moved into Russian territory and attacked one of the Russian cities, I get the pop-up saying that the "dumb English" have a MPP and have declared war on me.

Oh crap, exactly what I didn't want.

Luckily, I had thought about this and had pre-determined that if England honored the Russian MPP over mine, I wouldn't invade Russia. So I reloaded the game (I think this was OK in that I had no idea about the "rules of engagement" or whether my MPP partner would side with me or Russia). I resisted the urge to wipe out the Cossacks and merely surrounded them with my tanks. End of turn.

Russia attacks my pansars. England sides with me and declares war on Russia (sigh of relief).

So here's the deal with MPPs. If you have conflicting MPPs with a civ that you just started to wage war against, it doesn't matter who started what. The only thing that matters is who makes the first attack and on who's territory.

Here's my conclusions:

Russia declares war
I attack Russia on my territory: no MPP involved
I attack Russia on their territory: MPP sides with Russia
Russia attacks me on my territory: MPP sides with me
Russia attacks me on their territory: no MPP involved
Old October 23, 2002, 06:54   #2
Nym
Prince

I think you are right. I already knew that it depends on who attacks first, but I did not notice that is depends on the territory too.
Old October 23, 2002, 07:06   #3
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Well, it is Mutual PROTECTION Pact after all... and Civ3 doesn't properly understand the fact that "attack is the best defense..."

Stay home and you will be helped... cross your border and suffer...