Old October 23, 2002, 05:10   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 20:44
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Court: Form of Proceedings
I think it's time we got the court up and running, now we have the five justices.

But we are yet to decide what form this court will take.

Do we go for formal proceedings, like the C3DG?
See http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=58274 for an example.

Or do we go for informal proceedings, where we don't have something to go by? This could work by...
1. Person raises complaint with justice
2. Both sides state case in a post
3. Justices debate among selves
4. Come back with a result

Or another suggestion?

IMHO, the formal court would be better for roleplay, and also more likely to be fair.
Old October 23, 2002, 05:53   #2
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 09:44
i like a formal court as well but not as formal as de DGc3 court
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 23, 2002, 06:15   #3
Pandemoniak
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
1. Purpose:

The Court is constituted to rule upon: contested disputes involving legal interpretation, validity of polls, violations of the Constitution, or any other legal dispute involving the game.

2. Construct of the Court:

a. Size of Court:
The Court is composed of five Justices. Each Justice is to to be elected by the people, with a poll lasting three days.

b. Terms in office:
There is no limit to the number of terms a Justice may serve.
Each Justice serves a term of two months. All appointments and re-appointments must be approved by a majority vote of the public.

c. Senior Justice:
At the beginning of each case, the Court is to select a 'Senior Justice', who will be responsible for ensuring that a report is published for each decision made by the court, showing the rationale behind the decision. If the report is not provided, this may be grounds for an appeal. The Senior Justice will also preside over any hearings before The Court.

d. Other Governmental Posts:
A Justice may serve in other governmental posts, but may not serve as Commissioner or Alpha Talent while a serving Justice.

3. Case Structure:

a. Quorum:
At least three Justices must be involved in any ruling that is made. If only three justices are involved and they cannot agree, a non-voting justice must step in to break the deadlock.

b. Rulings:
All rulings are immediately official and final except where appeals are granted.

c. Appeals:
Appeals may be granted if there are grounds to believe that the constitution has not been applied properly. Any citizen directly involved in the case may make an application for an appeal. If 3 of the 5 judges decide to grant the appeal, a new trial will be created to examine the case. In that case, the current verdict is placed on hold until after the appeal process.

d. Injunctions:
The Court cannot stop the game to make a decision without a 2/3 vote amongst the people. In case of an emergency due to timing of a turnchat and poll of the populace, the Court may halt the game for 24 hours, but only by unanimous vote of the Court and only if a specific case has been presented to them that must be decided prior to the turnchat. In the emergency case, the Court would immediately have to present a 24 hour poll to the people for their approval of the Injunction. If not approved by the time of the poll's closure, the game immediately resumes where it was before.

e. Case Presentation:
The Court cannot act on any issue until a citizen of the nation brings forth an Issue to The Court. Issues to The Court should be posted publicly and must involve a dispute that the court is empowered to rule upon.
Cant be cleare than that. DE, do you want to change the constitution ?
Old October 23, 2002, 06:34   #4
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:44
Formal is fine, as long as you don't expect me to wade through too much text.
Old October 23, 2002, 06:46   #5
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

I'd prefer the formal option, but I'd also prefer it if we kept the whole thing to the point, rather than cluttering things up with page after page of legalese.
Old October 23, 2002, 07:23   #6
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandemoniak Cant be cleare than that. DE, do you want to change the constitution ?
Pande, sometimes it might not hurt to think before you post.

Actually read that amendment. It sets out a whole heap of rules setting up a court, but there is no mention in there of how the proceedings are actually to be run.

I think we could adapt the C3DG proceedings, and make them a little bit simpler. Their first courtcase went for about 5 weeks...no need for that here.
Old October 23, 2002, 09:08   #7
Pandemoniak
King

Location: of Xanadu, Scottish Section of the Apolyton Must Crush Capitalism Party
Quote:
The Court cannot act on any issue until a citizen of the nation brings forth an Issue to The Court. Issues to The Court should be posted publicly and must involve a dispute that the court is empowered to rule upon.[...] At the beginning of each case, the Court is to select a 'Senior Justice', who will be responsible for ensuring that a report is published for each decision made by the court, showing the rationale behind the decision.
Meaning :
2. Both side explain the problem.
3. The Court select a Senior Justice, who will be the person responsible of administrative things about the trial (posts, logs, results, etc...)

Quote:
At least three Justices must be involved in any ruling that is made. If only three justices are involved and they cannot agree, a non-voting justice must step in to break the deadlock.
4. Justices debate among selves, they have to be at least three to rule, a non voting justice must step in to break the deadlock.

Quote:
the report is not provided, this may be grounds for an appeal. The Senior Justice will also preside over any hearings before The Court.
5. Come back with a result

Its clear enough for me, what do you think should be clarified ?
2. Both side explain the problem.
3. The Court select a Senior Justice, who will be the person responsible of administrative things about the trial (posts, logs, results, etc...)
4. Justices debate among selves, they have to be at least three to rule, a non voting justice must step in to break the deadlock.
5. Come back with a result

Quote:
Pande, sometimes it might not hurt to think before you post.
And stop copycating Archaic, you're getting pathetic.
Old October 23, 2002, 17:48   #8
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Pande, you've figured out that a complaint must be brought to us, that they must have their say, that we must actually debate, then come back with a result. Very clever.

The question is how we proceed with this. Either formally, like the example I provided above from the C3DG, or informally, or another way, if anyone else has any suggestions.

And yes, someone still raises a complaint, and yes, both sides still have to explain the problem, and yes, the court still has to select a Senior Justice, and yes, the Justices still have to debate among themselves, and yes, the justices still have to come back with a result.

The question is how we carry out these proceedings within that framework.
Old October 23, 2002, 17:55   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 11:44
Is there some Pacific Anti-Pandemoniak alliance shaping up or what? Archaic, DE...
Old October 23, 2002, 17:57   #10
Pandemoniak
King

Should I pack my stuff and make my way to Deirdre's Palace ?

Pandemoniak,
in Lady Deirdre's Lover
Old October 23, 2002, 18:01   #11
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Is there some Pacific Anti-Pandemoniak alliance shaping up or what?
or is DE archaic's DL?

Old October 23, 2002, 18:06   #12
Pandemoniak
King

Quote:
or is DE archaic's DL?
Its illegal ! Mark, ban'em both ! :stalinian:
Old October 24, 2002, 03:19   #13
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Is there some Pacific Anti-Pandemoniak alliance shaping up or what? Archaic, DE...
No. It's just that the stuff he's been spouting recently has been rubbish. Build 4 bases in the Freshawater Sea instead of going FM, claiming something is in the constitution when it isn't, etc...
Old October 24, 2002, 03:31   #14
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
No. It's just that the stuff he's been spouting recently has been rubbish. Build 4 bases in the Freshawater Sea instead of going FM, claiming something is in the constitution when it isn't, etc...
Well said.
I don't have any personal issues with Pande - it's just the stuff he's been spouting lately.
Old October 28, 2002, 14:38   #15
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
Since it is up to the court to decide what procedure to follow we might as well go with what is in this thread and then change it as we see fit. As long as we give clear notice of changes to the citizenry, we can change it until we get it right.
Old October 28, 2002, 15:06   #16
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:44
Excuse me 'cough' I have a small complaint 'cough' when can I and to whom should I raise it. And it's not the cough.
Old October 28, 2002, 15:12   #17
- Groucho -
Diplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 04:44
We haven't quite worked out the specifics yet, but post a thread called "Complaint to Court: (description of complaint)" and lay out your complaint in the first post. When a justice notices it, we will pm each other and sort out a panel. The senior judge on the panel will probably post in your thread and let you know what to do from there.

Yay - a case!
Old October 29, 2002, 01:39   #18
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Okay, formal proceedings won the poll, so I guess we're able to be up and running.

Also...it may be better to PM a justice if you have a complaint, and let us deal with it from there. The C3DG does that, and they have basically the same amendment behind them.
Old October 29, 2002, 15:50   #19
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Local Time: 10:44
I have followed DE 's guide on this and a complaint has been lodged with a justice. It will be interesting to see how the court deal with their first complaint.
Old October 30, 2002, 11:19   #20
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

when do we here about the complaint? i want to know what is going on.....it wasnt filed confidention right? the people want to know what this case is about?
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us