Old October 24, 2002, 08:47   #61
Hurricane
Warlord

Local Time: 11:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Let's hope this gets a peaceful ending.

Violence is not the right way to try to solve things.
Old October 24, 2002, 08:49   #62
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Last news,
It’s admitted that Australian, Canadian and American citizens are among the hostages too.
I just saw video how small group of hostages are escaping. Total number grows to 52. No info about killed or injured. Also I just saw an interview with head of Muslim Church of Russia. He said that anything can’t justify such actions. That in accordance with Koran people who kill innocents will be punished in hell. Also he said that he had emergency meeting with president Putin and that president called this act- a provocation against all Muslim people of Russia. That people who did this would like to see grow of hatred between peoples of different religious confessions. The head of Muslim Church of Russia said that if those people consider themselves Muslims they should release all hostages, because there is no single goal, which deserves to be achieved, through such means as blood of innocent people.
Also I saw interview with Alexandr Zecalo popular showman and producer of this musical. He admitted again that there are still many children who are part of theater troupe held inside. And he asked terrorists once again to release children.
Now terrorists demand a foreign doctor who speaks Russian for negotiations. (I guess they don’t know what they actually want, so many different demands) However there is no info about victims among the hostages. Earlier there was information that terrorists threaten to start to kill hostages.
Old October 24, 2002, 08:59   #63
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Sources in law enforcement told the Russian news agency ITAR-Tass that the hostage takers may belong to a group led by notorious Chechen field commander Movsar Barayev.
Seems this guy has risen from the dead. According to the Russian Information Centre tre:

Quote:
On Saturday (12.10), the command of the Joint Group of Federal Forces in the North Caucasus officially confirmed death of Movsar Barayev, notorious leader of a terrorist grouping and nephew of cut-throat Arbi Barayev, who had been killed earlier. According to a deputy commander of the Joint Group, Lieutenant Colonel Boris Podoprigora, Movsar Barayev and his supporters were killed two days ago in the area of Komsomolskoye settlement as a result of pinpoint air and artillery strikes.

Boris Podoprigora stressed that "federal forces are carrying out operations against local bandits and Gelayev's militants who could infiltrate the area." According to the military command, 36 terrorists were killed over the past week. Eight bases with significant stock of arms, foodstuffs and equipment were destroyed. Podoprigora indicated that those were winter bases, the preparation of which militants had been engaged in over the recent period.
Pinpoint...
Old October 24, 2002, 09:06   #64
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Serb
Several minutes ago one of the news chanels (almost all TV chanels show the situation on-line) said that they heard sound of explosion inside of the theater. They suggest it was grenade. They suggest that more probably it was acident, not the beggining of speznaz operation.
This was taken from Kavkaz.org, the chechen news agency (very biased, of course).

Quote:
2002-10-24 11:34:21

Mujahideen threw grenade into empty room

Agency Kavkaz Center for a short period was contacted by assistant of Movsar Barayev and reported that the explosion really occurred in the building of the House of Culture. The reason for explosion was the grenade been thrown by Mujahideen into one of the empty rooms of the building for preventive measures. There are no casualties.

2002-10-24 10:47:32

Militiaman has been killed

Assistant of Movsar Barayev rang into editorial staff of Kavkaz Center and reported that at approximately 6 o'clock in the morning was killed one of the militiamen, who approached the central entrance of the House of Culture under the guise of a drunken person and asked to enter. After several warnings, mujahideen shot dead the militiaman.
EDIT: a woman (a FSB agent accoring to KavKaz) has also supposedly been shot dead by the chechen terrorists.

Last edited by Hurricane; October 24, 2002 at 09:14.
Old October 24, 2002, 09:53   #65
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:46
I think that in the light of events transpiring over the past few weeks the United States should offer assistance to the Russian federation in support of their struggle against a common terrorist foe in the hopes that they will make a complimentary offer.

Are we going to wait for them to strike Western Europe as well?
Old October 24, 2002, 10:02   #66
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Are we going to wait for them to strike Western Europe as well?
The answer is quite obvious.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:13   #67
des-esseintes
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:46
Edited by Ming...

If you continue posting crap like the stuff I just deleted, you are toast...

Last edited by Ming; October 24, 2002 at 10:36.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:17   #68
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
What the hell is your problem?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:22   #69
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Yo, des-esseintes. Your kindergarden teacher is looking for you.

A hostage has been killed.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:25   #70
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
claiming the Russians deserved this,
Why should this thread be any different from the infinite ME threads, some of the 9/11 threads, etc.?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 24, 2002, 10:32   #71
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I read Mobius' post in absolute shock, considering his posts in those ME threads, Dino.

Sloww - really? Shite.

I think it would be appropriate to keep discussions of cause and effect out of this thread, and just use it for news and expressions of sympathy and such.

We can do the analysis of "root causes" later.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:38   #72
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Chechen Gunmen Shoot Moscow Hostage
46 minutes ago

MOSCOW (AP) - Chechen gunmen shot and killed one of the hundreds of hostages being held at a Moscow theater, Russian news media reported Thursday.

The killing was believed to have taken place in the early hours of the crisis that began when gunmen stormed the theater at 9:05 p.m. Wednesday, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported, citing an unnamed police official at the scene.

A television report showed a stretcher with a blanket-covered body being taken out of the theater.

The report of the killing came as the crisis showed no signs of resolution.
Old October 24, 2002, 10:40   #73
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:46
Quote:
Why should this thread be any different from the infinite ME threads, some of the 9/11 threads, etc.?
were there "Americans deserved it" threads on sept 11? They didn't pop up until a week after the event I believe...so wait 7 days before posting this crap
Old October 24, 2002, 10:42   #74
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
were there "Americans deserved it" threads on sept 11?
I notice that you didn't touch the bit about the ME threads.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 24, 2002, 10:46   #75
Saint Marcus
King

Old October 24, 2002, 10:47   #76
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

If you want to go at each other, do it somewhere else.

Let's stay on topic folks...
Old October 24, 2002, 10:48   #77
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

What makes people think that attacking obvious innocents is a good tactic? What a fundamental miscalculation.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 24, 2002, 11:07   #78
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:46
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
What makes people think that attacking obvious innocents is a good tactic? What a fundamental miscalculation.
Because it IS a good tactic.
Old October 24, 2002, 11:12   #79
Lars-E
Warlord

Wonder if the Stockholm syndrome will manifest itself... Doesn't look like it so far...
Old October 24, 2002, 11:13   #80
lightblue
Warlord

BBC says that the woman who was stretchered out dead might have died of an illness too:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2357729.stm
It’s a great art, is rowing. It’s the finest art there is. It’s a symphony of motion. And when you reach perfection, you are touching the divine. It touches the you of yous – which is your soul. George Pocock
What fun is that? Why all that hard, exhausting work? Where does it get you? What is the good of it? It is one of the strange ironies of life that those who work the hardest, who subject themselves to the strictest discipline, who give up certain pleasurable things in order to achieve a goal, are the happiest. Brutus Hamilton
Old October 24, 2002, 11:49   #81
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

"Because it IS a good tactic."

Explain to me how this tactic will lead to Chechen independence.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old October 24, 2002, 12:14   #82
Saint Marcus
King

Chechens won't gain independence either way. They just want to take as many Russians with them when they go down.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:24   #83
VJ
King

Local Time: 09:46
****. I hope that this doesn't get ugly.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:27   #84
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu
****. I hope that this doesn't get ugly.
It's already ugly, alas.

(PS-Mobius has a pm from me, I am taking it off the board, but also find his posturing baffling considering ME threads.)

I do wonder how this will effect the Russian stance on Iraq at the UN. While not immediately related, this kind of action might make Russians more amenable to action provided the US be less vocal about what action they might take in Chechnya as a response.
Old October 24, 2002, 12:30   #85
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Explosions reported in the theatre

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe...ege/index.html
Old October 24, 2002, 13:34   #86
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 03:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I do wonder how this will effect the Russian stance on Iraq at the UN. While not immediately related, this kind of action might make Russians more amenable to action provided the US be less vocal about what action they might take in Chechnya as a response.
The situation won't change Russia's stand one bit: connections between Iraq and Chechnya are about 0, and since the Russians don't buy the Iraq-Al Qaeda connection anymore than I do, you won't see much change, as long as Saddam doesn't praise the chechen, which he would never do. Russia's gov and elite make foreign policy: they don't see Iraq as part of the 'war on terror', never have, and they still won't.

I think the sitation will end badly. It obvious that the demands wil not be met, and the track record for endidng these mass hostage situations is rather poor (about 100 killed back in '97 after 1000 hostages taken, and 78 killed in another hostage situation). The Chechens have gained much skill it seem, in their favorite type of attack within Russia, though this is obviously the most brazen and spectacular of them, since its in Moscow itself.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 24, 2002, 13:50   #87
Serb
Emperor

Yes, it was confirmed that they killed one hostage yesterday- a 20 years old girl. The body was removed from theater.
Two 18 years girls managed to escape not so long ago. Terrorists opened fire from RPG, on them. There were two explosions. Fortunately they weren’t injured, however one specnaz fighter received light injury.
Also it was said again that citizens of 18 foreign countries among the hostages.
Quote:
Wonder if the Stockholm syndrome will manifest itself... Doesn't look like it so far...
It is already. They released one woman to make a declaration. It seems hostages already in deep psychological crisis and considers terrorists as their protectors.
Old October 24, 2002, 13:55   #88
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Serb I am very sorry for all of this and I hope that everything will go as best as it can.
Old October 24, 2002, 14:00   #89
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Saint Marcus
Chechens won't gain independence either way. They just want to take as many Russians with them when they go down.
Don’t use this Chechens=terrorists. A lot of Chechen people who live in Moscow offered themselves in exchange for hostages. The head of Chechnya Akhmad Kadyrov said that Chechens ready to help to solve the situation by any means. There are meetings in Chechnya to condemn terrorists.
Old October 24, 2002, 14:04   #90
Serb
Emperor

Thanks Paiktis I hope so.