Old October 24, 2002, 06:16   #1
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Local Time: 20:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Chironian News Network Issue Eight
Chironian News Network

Note that the following probably really dont express the opinions of the CNN. Meaning we can't be sued for anything.

NETFLASH!

Another faction encountered!
Finally, we have some company
by Darkness' Edge and GeneralTacticus

Earlier this week, our Peacekeeper faction reached an important milestone. Our scouts, while exploring a peninsula to our north-east, came into contact with another faction – the first non-Peacekeeper citizens we’ve met since the Unity Landing. The faction, Morgan Industries, led by former diamond tycoon and Unity Franchise Holder Nwabudike Morgan, was cooperative with our emissaries, and Morgan received them at Morgan Distribution, the one base we have located. An urgent call was put through to the Commissioner and Director Branch, and after some discussion, it was agreed that a temporary Treaty of Friendship would be signed, with further negotiations left until the issue could be raised with the public. However, as part of the treaty signing, a technology exchange was agreed upon. We agreed to hand over Doctrine: Mobility, Applied Physics, and our world map, and received Planetary Networks, Industrial Economics and Ethical Calculus in return. This was received well by the Peacekeeper community, with almost unanimous support for the trade. There has been a lot of debate on the subject, and polls are still open, though they show a clear lead for an alliance with Morgan. But some of our citizens weren't quite so convinced. “I say we strong arm him and extort him for all he's worth.”, commented one citizen, who shall remain nameless, after news of the contact was announced at the Empath Guild.

“He has an empty base! He'll give in to anything!” Said another.

The Directorate of Foreign Affairs is, at present, opposed to such sabre-rattling against a potential ally, but is open to persuasion.

Finally, our Director of Foreign Affairs will actually have a purpose, and GeneralTacticus will be able to stop throwing pens at the roof. Unfortunately, with the people voting for a peaceful line with Morgan, it may be some time before the services of the Director of Peacekeeping Operations are really required.

Several heads clash over social engineering
Furious debate over political and economic state

This week has been one of the quietest since the landing on Chiron, with not much happening in most areas. However, there has been some fiery debate over our social engineering preferences in the areas of political and economic structure. The technology we received from Morgan has given the Director of Social Engineering something to do, and tensions flared at the public meeting called by the current Director, MrWhereItsAt. Candidates for the position at the next elections, Archaic and AdamTG02, both made their opinions known, and several other local identities, including GeneralTacticus were quite vocal. Eventually, Archaic and MrWhereItsAt designed a proposal for social engineering in the short term, which would see us become a democracy and move towards a free market economy. This was put to the people, and at the time of press, had equal votes with the other option, which would still see us become a democracy, but would support planned economics instead of free market. This debate has been one of the most fiery in Peacekeeper history, and the upcoming Director of Social Engineering elections could turn out to be very close.

Calling for nominations for next term
At least one candidate for every position already found

Several days ago, a call was put out for nominations for the next term. As of the time of going to press, we now have at least one candidate for every position, after three people put their names forward to fill the last three vacant portfolios. There is still a day or so left before nominations close, so anyone still interested in standing for office still has the opportunity. The candidates so far include a mix of veterans – some who have been in office ever since the first government was formed on Chiron, and some new blood, people who have only recently risen from obscurity. For the position of Commissioner, incumbent DeathByTheSword has nominated for a second term, and is currently unopposed for the position. The position of Alpha Talent was one of the last to be filled, but Joeno, a previously unheard-of candidate, put his name up for the position, after no one else had shown interest – saving the Peacekeepers from a possible crisis. In one of only three currently contested elections, previous candidate Archaic is set to clash with Exploration and Discovery Party leader AdamTG02. As both of these candidates have stood for positions before, and neither has managed to get into government, this could be a close election, also taking into account the strong feelings many people hold about our social engineering priorities. After Pandemoniak, the Director of Terraformation and Colonization, resigned late this term, Maniac has put his name up to replace him next time, and is so far running uncontested. For the position of Director of Base Production, the incumbent candidate, Makahlua, is standing again, and faces a challenger in Lucky22. This could also be a close election, though Makahlua will be a hard incumbent to beat. For Director of Foreign Affairs, incumbent GeneralTacticus is running uncontested, and after his leadership in early encounters with Morgan Industries, is unlikely to have much trouble being reelected, unless a challenger puts themselves forward. For Director of Science, previously unknown citizen Thud is challenging incumbent TKG, who is running for a third term in office. Thud faced an uncertain reception at the press conference where he announced his nomination. A confused citizen was quoted to say “eh? Who’s Thud?”, and an interjector accused Thud of doing a lousy job in a similar position back on Earth. Only time will tell whether the people will give the new candidate a chance, or reelect the experienced TKG for a third term. Lemmy has announced that he will stand for yet another term as Director of Exploration and Intelligence, and this time, appears not to have a challenger – unlike last term, where he faced a rough campaign. The final two positions, Director of Peacekeeping Operations and Director of Industry and Energy, were only filled when no nominations had come forward, and the people were starting to become worried. Incumbent DoPO Darkness’ Edge announced a campaign for a second term, and newcomer dmm1285 announced that he would take a shot at Industry and Energy.

Questions raised over Commissioner’s drinking habits
Renames “South Concordia”, but misspells the new name

Gossip is spreading around New Apolyton, and questions are starting to be raised over the Commissioner’s drinking habits. After the last session of cabinet, he named two cities “Concordia”, which raised eyebrows at the time. In the latest session of cabinet, he moved to correct this, and renamed “South Concordia” to “Tacticus Academy”. Or at least that was the intention, but our latest maps are showing a base named “Tacticus Acedemy”. Could the Commissioner have been on the grog again?

Two new bases founded
Southern expansion continues

Our swift expansion to the south has been continuing lately, with two new bases founded on opposite sides of the as-yet-unnamed sea, which we border on three sides. Both the two new bases, Zanarkand Gate (on the U.N. Pizza Delivery side) and Mysidia (on the New Suez side) are only small, and in their infancy. With magnificent views and sheltered harbors from these two ports, it is expected there will be an influx of citizens in the near future.

Invasion of the Strange Green Things?
Directorates of Science and Peacekeeping Operations Activated

Earlier this week, citizen Kassiopeia noticed a strange icky green thing growing behind the urinal in the New Apolyton Rec Commons. Of course, he was too drunk to notice this at the time, but he pointed it out soon after sobering up. Since then, there have been several unconfirmed reports of attacks on civilians, with Kassiopeia suggesting some strange link between the strange icky green things and Japanese schoolgirls from Earth. The Directorate of Science has been alerted, and it has dedicated a substantial portion of its resources to discovering the cause of the strange icky green things. The Directorate of Peacekeeping Operations has also been alerted, and is trying to work out if they can be taken out by military means.

Request for a Historian
Commissioner calls for volunteer to record our history

The Commissioner, DeathByTheSword, recently asked for a volunteer to take up a position of Historian, and start recording the history of our Peacekeeper nation. As we start to set up a regular, civilized society on Chiron, the risk becomes greater of forgetting our roots, and the early days, when things weren’t so easy. Both the current and former Commissioner have pledged assistance to any Historian volunteer in supplying them with any necessary information.

Address to the Nation
by GeneralTacticus

Hello, citizens. I am, once again, running for the position of Director of Foreign Affairs. You heard me talk about my general principles regarding diplomacy last term, so I won’t bother to repeat this here. I will instead use this opportunity to talk about Morgan.

As you know, or should know, or soon will know, a few days ago one of our scout rovers encountered a base belonging to CEO Morgan. We have been able to acquire several techs from him, which have set us on a road to Democracy and will allow us to research Industrial Automation. We have also signed a Treaty of Friendship with him, which has opened commerce between us.

Now, I would like to advocate that we try to stay friendly with him for now. I will lobby strongly with the DoBP and DoEI to have his datalinks infiltrated, to put us in a better position at the bargaining table. I also believe that we should sign a Pact of Brotherhood with him in the near future. The commerce from this, if we combine it with a focus on economic development, with bring in a great deal of wealth for our faction and greatly increase living standards for our citizens.

However, I also believe that we should combine this with a willingness to fight Morgan if it should become necessary. Until, our intelligence agents can penetrate Morgan’s networks, we cannot make any definite decisions on this, but our analysis of Morgan’s ideology indicates that he will not place his army high on the priority list. If we focus our efforts on developing and producing new weapons, we will probably be able to force surrender with a minimum of bloodshed. This will place us one step closer to our goal of reuniting a splintered humanity.

Last edited by Darkness' Edge; October 24, 2002 at 06:26.
Old October 24, 2002, 06:18   #2
Darkness' Edge
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

I didn't leave it quite so late this week, so I was able to put in a bit more term. Unfortunately, it's been a fairly inactive week, and there wasn't much to write about - hence why this edition may be a little bit bland. Thanks to GT, Pande and Lemmy for the pointer to the Rec Commons and the strange icky green things.
Old October 24, 2002, 06:22   #3
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Great job, DE.

Quote:
Finally, our Director of Foreign Affairs will actually have a purpose, and GeneralTacticus will be able to stop throwing pens at the roof.

Only thing is, you posted the last part of that article twice.
Old October 24, 2002, 07:43   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:47
Damn! I should have tried to find time to submit an expose by an unnamed reporter on how MrWhereItsAt surreptitiously took over both Alpha Talent and DTC positions without elections, making him easily the most powerful (and overworked) person in the UN, with the possible exception of the Commish himself.....

I'm not sure whether this would have been written to make me look like Stalin (occupying every post for his own ends) or a hard-working hero who stepped in only to keep the UN from the fate of the League of Nations.

Which one....?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 24, 2002, 11:23   #5
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 09:47
great work!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 24, 2002, 13:58   #6
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
I told you, I told you, it's growing and growing as I type...
Old October 24, 2002, 15:42   #7
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 09:47
but DE are you not getting my submissions or are they THAT bad
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old October 24, 2002, 16:09   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:47
Quote:
Since then, there have been several unconfirmed reports of attacks on civilians,
Old October 24, 2002, 16:49   #9
Darkness' Edge
Prince

DBTS - what submissions?

MWIA - dammit...that would have been good. Shame you couldn't be in the chat last night to remind me.
Old October 24, 2002, 19:57   #10
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:47
Time to start packing. Mysidia, here I come!
Old October 25, 2002, 04:15   #11
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 10:47
Great issue. Hot gossip and insipid political pundits all in one big pack. A must read for the discerning citizen!
Old October 26, 2002, 04:33   #12
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Good stuff...but I didn't see my name anywhere, even tho things hinted toward me!

Can I be an Opinions editor for the CNN?
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old October 26, 2002, 04:57   #13
Darkness' Edge
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Good stuff...but I didn't see my name anywhere, even tho things hinted toward me!

Can I be an Opinions editor for the CNN?
Feel free to submit stuff.

Also, I'll likely expand the CNN in the near future, and may take on a couple of staff.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:16   #14
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Also, I'll likely expand the CNN in the near future, and may take on a couple of staff.
I'd be happy to be a columnist.

Last edited by GeneralTacticus; October 26, 2002 at 06:29.