Old October 24, 2002, 14:44   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Is there interest in an Environmental protection group?
Simple enough.

Is anyone interested in starting a group for environmental protection.

Goals would be to propose reserves, national parks, stuff like that, and oppose any developement beyond roads within these sanctuaries.

Unless we act soon, there will be little jungle left to save.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 15:02   #2
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 01:48
I might be.

From the stand point of population. I am dead set against hospitals ( and sanitation) until we are close to ecology and teh willingness for building mass tranit systems. If we are not careful, we will wind up wastinfg alot of time and workers cleaning up glowing goo. Factories do not add too much polution but coal plants kill us with pollution.

Now as for junjles and such, does anyone know if by clearing jungle from, say, a rubber tile, wheather it would appear or not when we discover replacable parts? That would be the clincher for me.
Mss
Old October 24, 2002, 15:04   #3
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 04:48
Humm.. I wonder how many acres of Jungle the "Jungle Gazette uses"? I suppose it gets its name from the precious natural resource that it is destroying. We are destroying our beautiful jungles for a mere periodical! Not even a permanent book.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

Old October 24, 2002, 15:16   #4
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We are an industrious civilization... our workers have enough efficiency, and we have the capacity to build enough of them, that the population pollution from building hospitals will be easily managable.

Besides, these "environmentalists" aren't seriously going to lobby against the humanitarian course of building hospitals and actually SUPPORT our population continuing to be plagued (pun intended) by horrendous diseases!?

The truly humanitarian thing to do would be to SUPPORT the building of hospitals and to begin the crusade to eradicate various diseases which have long plagued mankind! Let these "environmentalists" be anti-humanitarian if they dare...
Old October 24, 2002, 15:27   #5
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'm all for preserving jungles and forests and mountains that are outside of our city radius'. As for jungle/swamp land within our city radius', they're festering disease ridden wastelands that need to be cleared out for the good of our people.

But I'm with you on the coal plants.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 24, 2002, 15:41   #6
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

This smells of liberal, count me in
Old October 24, 2002, 15:45   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

IMHO:

All Jungle inside all city raidius will evenually need cleared.

All cities that could grow past 12 will evenuaally need Hospitals.

All forests on plains inside all city raidus need cleared quickly.

Forests over unshielded grassland inside city raidus is okay pre-railroad. Post railroad these will all evenually need cleared, railed, and mined.

Forests are always okay on tundra inside city raidus.

Only build Coal Plants if it looks like we are going to be beat out to Hoover Dam and can't easily capture it once built. Even then, limit them to the highest productive cities.

Never build Nuke Plants.

Lobby Public Works to make standing orders ensuring the polution is dealt with immedately rather than waiting for the next turn chat.
Old October 24, 2002, 15:49   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
IMHO:

Forests over unshielded grassland inside city raidus is okay pre-railroad. Post railroad these will all evenually need cleared, railed, and mined.

Only build Coal Plants if it looks like we are going to be beat out to Hoover Dam and can't easily capture it once built. Even then, limit them to the highest productive cities.

Never build Nuke Plants.

Lobby Public Works to make standing orders ensuring the polution is dealt with immedately rather than waiting for the next turn chat.
This is very sensible. I would support that exact plan (and, in fact, it reflects how I play single-player as well ).

Old October 24, 2002, 15:51   #9
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Humm.. I wonder how many acres of Jungle the "Jungle Gazette uses"? I suppose it gets its name from the precious natural resource that it is destroying. We are destroying our beautiful jungles for a mere periodical! Not even a permanent book.

Those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

If someone had done their research, they would know that the Gazette uses pressed leaves that have already fallen. We do not destroy anything.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 16:11   #10
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
IMHO:

Never build Nuke Plants.

While that is very sensible and all, that is not what I was getting at, really.

Forget about what is good in-game. Set up the "Apolytonian National Jungle" or the "Insert Name Mountains" These will never be touched no matter how much they would improve whatever city beyond the use of roads. Sure, it might not make that city the most productive, but many people have already stated that we are a shoe in to win. Preserve these for future generations. ROLEPLAY a bit IN game.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 16:40   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I vote for exactly two such regions.

The Northern Pole artic reserve encombasing all terriority north of the northern map edge, and the Southern Pole artic reserve combassing all territory south of the southern map edge.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:41   #12
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

While that is very sensible and all, that is not what I was getting at, really.

Forget about what is good in-game. Set up the "Apolytonian National Jungle" or the "Insert Name Mountains" These will never be touched no matter how much they would improve whatever city beyond the use of roads. Sure, it might not make that city the most productive, but many people have already stated that we are a shoe in to win. Preserve these for future generations. ROLEPLAY a bit IN game.
And, roleplaying that part I've already clearly chosen in game...

We have not yet researched this notion of "ecology" and other environmental impacts. As such, there is no research to indicate that there is ANY negative impact to our environment from improving the standard of living of our people through better medical care, greater industrial output, and the use of fossil fuels as an energy source. Of course, many of these innovations will themselves require much more research until they are prepared for implementation, but no research exists AT ALL to indicate that any of them would have a negative impact on our environment.

Those aruing that we should forgo the interests of our citizens in favor of some odd-ball belief that improving the standard of living will harm our environment have obviously been smoking too much bananabis!
Old October 24, 2002, 16:49   #13
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
I vote for exactly two such regions.

The Northern Pole artic reserve encombasing all terriority north of the northern map edge, and the Southern Pole artic reserve combassing all territory south of the southern map edge.
LMAO!!!

I'm with ya, Jon.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:51   #14
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Slash and burn techniques have worked well so far, who is to say that continuing to do so will cause problems.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 24, 2002, 16:53   #15
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

And, roleplaying that part I've already clearly chosen in game...

We have not yet researched this notion of "ecology" and other environmental impacts. As such, there is no research to indicate that there is ANY negative impact to our environment from improving the standard of living of our people through better medical care, greater industrial output, and the use of fossil fuels as an energy source. Of course, many of these innovations will themselves require much more research until they are prepared for implementation, but no research exists AT ALL to indicate that any of them would have a negative impact on our environment.

Those aruing that we should forgo the interests of our citizens in favor of some odd-ball belief that improving the standard of living will harm our environment have obviously been smoking too much bananabis!
There is no technology to prove that a democratic government exists either, but I see you whole heartedly supporting it in other threads...

I do assure you, though, there will be a negative impact should I be left without enough jungle left to produce the paper.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 17:17   #16
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

There is no technology to prove that a democratic government exists either, but I see you whole heartedly supporting it in other threads...
I will respectfully refer you to the thread of the democracy movement... on in which I have clearly stated my stance on the issue... that I only would support ANY expansion of the franchise by the Senate after that option has been more thoroughly researched by our thinkers.
Old October 24, 2002, 19:48   #17
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

environmental protection
I'd say razing the jungle to build are cities is an invalidation of any proprosed environmental preservation policy out there. I'm all for keeping one square of jungle for posterity, though, as a shining example and symbol of the mercy we can have for any nation that concedes now and allows itself to be assimilated... at least until global warming turns it into a desert
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 24, 2002, 20:05   #18
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Quote:
This smells of liberal, count me in

Absolutly jdjdjd, exactly what I wanted to say to this, but couldn't quite express it.

Here we find an excellent use for our military. Make sure those AI scum don't send workers to cut down forests!
Old October 24, 2002, 21:04   #19
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

As someone already pointed out, an environmental agenda would be very hard to marry with a humanitarian one. So for now, I'm going to take the easy road out (since it's 720AD), and say "Environmental" - what's that?

As fun as it might be, I'll stick with one fight at a time, and the AEM vs. the Warmongers is all I can handle right now.
Old October 25, 2002, 07:23   #20
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

So who's plot of land do you want to keep as a reserve in the $mini-game? Perhaps a particular near-monopolist?

I like this idea, we don't need the extra production, and it would be nice. Also you don't need knowledge of scientific ecology in order to enjoy natural environments, and see that if we keep cutting them down they won't be there any more.