Old October 24, 2002, 15:11   #1
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Democtatic Movement of Apolytonia
Unite, all democarats; 'tis the time for action.

I am starting a democratic movement now that we will be able to research it soon. Members can sign up here.

To all supporters: Support the researching of democracy for our next technology - we need to step into a new phase of government soon.

Member list:
-Panzer32
-jdjdjd
-Shiber
-ThePlagueRat
-civman2000
-Aro
-Nimitz

Last edited by Panzer32; October 30, 2002 at 19:57.
Old October 24, 2002, 15:28   #2
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
Ah, a 'Radical Party'

[roleplay]

I think I'll play the part of a Gladstone or a Disraeli rather than a fully committed radical on this issue I will support an expansion of the franchise once further research has been conducted on the feasibility of doing so while maintaining the social order and the property rights of citizens.

For, as penned by the wise Mr. Benjamin Franklin (RL in 1759):

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"

So, provided that the radicals supporting democracy will respect the republican system of passing any extentions of the franchise through the senate and that various rights established by our constitution are maintained, I can support such a movement.

[/roleplay]

Yes, definately go for democracy... no brainer, especially if we're thinking of a diplomatic or space race victory. Once we get police stations, even continuing limited wars becomes a distinct possibility when needed.
Old October 24, 2002, 15:40   #3
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Yes, count me in
Old October 24, 2002, 17:04   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'll porbably vote the same way the DMA does, but won't be joining this single issue group.

My exact preference is switch to Democracy the turn it's adviable unless we are having the Golden Age or are at war at the time, in which case delay until both the GA and war ends.

I'm also in favor of researching Democracy as soon as we discover Printing Press.

I'm going to want to see a table of various science percentages - turns to reserch - and amount of surplus (deficit) to decide optimal percentage going into researching it though.
Old October 25, 2002, 07:40   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:48
Sign me up!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 25, 2002, 07:49   #6
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

We could use the increased work rate to clear jungle and build railroads. I definitely think that we should go for democracy... I don't know how much this can be backed up with role playing...
Old October 25, 2002, 09:02   #7
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 03:48
I guess I agree with joncnunn-get demo soon as advisable, but I will not join this group. (You do realize there probably will only be the UAD as always and an Apoly Communist Front after the DMA's goal is realized?) All thanks go to Arnelos for inspiring a pile full of revolutionary threads. (ARF his own, ADF, UAD, DMA, probably a communist one soon, I dunno) Nice spelling, pal.
Old October 25, 2002, 09:34   #8
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 10:48
Democracy is one hundred infected rats trying to dance on a small table, with a sick cat lurking underneath.

Sign me up!
Old October 25, 2002, 15:44   #9
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Ok, I updated the member list. We now have 4 members. Hmmm...

I am only counting the people who definately said they are in.

Quote:
DMA
I never said this movement could be reduced to a mere acronym!!!

Quote:
Democracy is one hundred infected rats trying to dance on a small table, with a sick cat lurking underneath.
Yes, lets support our movement with obscure metaphors.

Quote:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
I call not the lamb

Quote:
Ah, a 'Radical Party'
You forgot underground and subversive.

Quote:
I'll porbably vote the same way the DMA does
Yes!!!!

Quote:
but won't be joining this single issue group
No!!!!

To all members: beware of a leader with lame sense of humour.
Old October 27, 2002, 22:57   #10
Panzer32
Emperor

*Bump*

To clarify the stand of the Democratic Movement of Apolytonia:

We want to reasearch democracy next, and to start a revolution (1 turn - we're religious!!) to become a democracy. (If we are in the middle of a war or something, then don't switch - that would be pointless with the war weariness - switch after the war, at the first time possible).
Old October 28, 2002, 14:32   #11
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:48
count me in!

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old October 28, 2002, 16:38   #12
Panzer32
Emperor

Updated list
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:10   #13
Panzer32
Emperor

Please confirm: We are researching democracy now, right?
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:13   #14
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Yes, there's currently a debate on how fast to research it though.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:14   #15
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:48
I'm in.
Old October 30, 2002, 17:22   #16
Nimitz
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG LegolandNever Ending StoriesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

I'm in.
Old October 30, 2002, 20:01   #17
Panzer32
Emperor

Quote:
We are researching democracy now
This means that half of the goal of the Democratic Movement of Apolytonia is reached. The only thing left is to support researching it quickly, and switching as soon as we get it.

Ps: Welcome to the new members.
Old October 31, 2002, 12:09   #18
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

At this point it seems that 'as soon as we get it' would occur sometime before our GA is over. I'm an avid supporter or Democracy but I say we shouldn't be as radical as to switch governments during our GA!
Let's wait after the GA is over to switch.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 31, 2002, 16:55   #19
Panzer32
Emperor

Shiber, I take it you are saying this because you want to avoid the time of anarchy that cuts into our (increased) production. I can see your point of view. Just one thing more to consider: We only have 1 turn of anarchy, remember?

I belive that Shiber is right this time. We would only get democracy during the closing years of our GA, and the turn of anarchy would not be worth the sacrifice. Now, if we got Demo. early on, I would say go for it to decrease corruption over most of our GA.

In conclusion, my statement has been ammended to "The only thing left is to support researching it quickly, and switching as soon as we get it and our GA is over".
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 31, 2002, 16:57   #20
Panzer32
Emperor

Ps: OT: Like my new Avatar??? I finally got it working!!
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 31, 2002, 17:05   #21
Shiber
Emperor

Yes, I realize we only have one turn of anarchy but as you said, what I meant is that it will not be worth it because we'll only get Democracy close to the end of the GA, and if you compare the losses from a turn of GA wasted in anarchy and the benefits of having Democracy throughout the rest of the GA, the losses will outweigh the benefits.
Btw, congrats on your new avatar.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 8, 2002, 19:22   #22
Panzer32
Emperor

WE NOW HAVE DEMOCRACY!!!

OK, to all members of the Democratic Movement of Apolytonia, FULLY support switching to democracy WHEN our GA is over.

Of course, you can support switching during our GA, but the one turn of anarchy may not be good during the GA.
Old November 8, 2002, 20:55   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
FULLY support switching to democracy WHEN our GA is over.
I'm a supporter !
Old November 8, 2002, 22:12   #24
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

If I have anything to do with it (and I do...), the administration very well may start a poll on this issue in the near future

Given our religious trait, it's always POSSIBLE to go democratic even before the end of the GA, but I agree that waiting for the end of the GA is probably better.

Thus...

[rp]

An expansion of suffrage rights is something I'm willing to consider and perhaps even officially propose, but it will take some time to work out the details of how our state infrastructure would handle the change.

[/rp]

Last edited by Arnelos; November 8, 2002 at 22:17.
Old November 8, 2002, 22:43   #25
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I agree we should switch the second the GA is over, we don't want to waste a turn of the GA.
Aggie
Old November 9, 2002, 02:06   #26
Arnelos
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

[rp]

An expansion of suffrage rights is something I'm willing to consider and perhaps even officially propose, but it will take some time to work out the details of how our state infrastructure would handle the change.

[/rp]

Given this role-play, I have switched my avatar to a scetch of William Ewart Gladstone
Old November 9, 2002, 04:07   #27
Shiber
Emperor

We don't want to waste a single turn of GA in anarchy, and we don't want to waste a single turn afterwards in republic. The answer is then obvious - switch immediately after the GA is over.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 9, 2002, 11:55   #28
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

Given this role-play, I have switched my avatar to a scetch of William Ewart Gladstone
Who was he?

E_T