View Poll Results: What do you feel is the best goal in a War with France?
Assimililation, ALL of France. 17 45.95%
Everything but the Northeastern Cities 8 21.62%
No war whatsoever 9 24.32%
Abstain 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24, 2002, 16:17   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Poll (Unofficial) War with France Goal - The THIRD attempt.
This is a completely unofficial poll, to determine how many people support a limited war with France versus their complete annexation.

1) Assimililation, ALL of France.
2) Everything but the Northeastern Cities
3) No war whatsoever
4) Abstain

Third time's a charm.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; October 24, 2002 at 16:25.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:24   #2
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:48
You mean "Everything but the NorthWESTERN Cities", right?

Ghengis, my man, we've GOT to get you a compass or something.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:34   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:48
We are the Appolyons...

Joan of Arc shall be ASSIMILATED.
Resistance is futile.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:36   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
You mean "Everything but the NorthWESTERN Cities", right?

Ghengis, my man, we've GOT to get you a compass or something.

--Togas
I got Global Positioning Sattelites, I don't need no stinkin compass!

But yes the Northwestern cities.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:43   #5
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
I will not vote in this. I am against war at this time.
but if war is to be, take it all.

we are the borg...re...um...the bananas.
resistance is futile.
your technological and biological resources shall adapt to serve us.
prepare to be assimilated.
resistance is futile.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 24, 2002, 16:45   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

GhengisFarb... you should have included an option for going to war strictly for the purpose of achieving our Golden Age and then pursuing a peace treaty.
Old October 24, 2002, 16:58   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
GhengisFarb... you should have included an option for going to war strictly for the purpose of achieving our Golden Age and then pursuing a peace treaty.
I believe there is already a poll about the GA, it may be cloaked somewhere............
Old October 24, 2002, 17:00   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Kill the frogs. All the frogs.

and hope they get Germany back into it as well

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 17:07   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

On the second page about 1/5th of the way down.

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

I believe there is already a poll about the GA, it may be cloaked somewhere............
Old October 24, 2002, 17:13   #10
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

That poll asks if we should get our GA at all in a war with France... it does not ask the more critical question... one which SHOULD be included in THIS poll:

Should the war END as soon as possible after our GA has started?

EDIT: In other words... making the GA, rather than specific territory, the aim of the war.
Old October 24, 2002, 17:35   #11
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I would rather have had this poll AFTER the other poll ended, so as to avoid confusion. That poll is not yet assured of passage.vSo if it should be defeated it would render this useless. Its the same old story, try to please everyone you will end up pleasing no one. Oh well lets see some voting.
Aggie
Old October 24, 2002, 17:42   #12
Arnelos
Emperor

Well, THIS poll isn't official - so it doesn't really matter.

Aggie,

I suggest that you/we start a pre-poll discussion to seek options in a poll on war aims. Then we can post an OFFICIAL poll on war aims at the conclusion of that pre-poll discussion.
Old October 24, 2002, 17:51   #13
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Be very carefull setting up such a poll. Consider, official polls need 50%+1.

Now, should we have 6 options all fairly evenly matched, no option will win, even if it does claim a majority. Perhaps you would best be served making a grouping poll? Where one group is BASICALLY for short wars, another BASICALLY for longer wars, but still even lest someone declares it as being bias towards one of those groups.

Very touchy, making that poll official...It may best be left unofficial to avoid the 50% + 1. It would still serve to let you know the opinion of the public, but not be bound by the laws of the CoL.

Just something to think on.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old October 24, 2002, 19:10   #14
Duddha
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

All of France!
Old October 24, 2002, 19:41   #15
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I voted abstain, Im for the war, but only to get the golden age and then make peace asap with whatever gains we can make in the mandatory 5 turns before france will agree to peace.
Old October 24, 2002, 19:42   #16
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Oh and I wouldn't take their southern cities, Id rather have them as a buffer between us and Rome, but I havent looked at a world map in a while so maybe that doesnt even make sense in the current situation.
Old October 24, 2002, 21:58   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I've never said we had to keep all of the cities, I just want to take out France as a player so they won't be in our way anymore.
Old October 25, 2002, 03:15   #18
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 20:48
It would be nice to prevent our French-Apolyton citizens from trying to rejoin their motherland. If they no longer have a motherland, problem solved.
Old October 25, 2002, 03:48   #19
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ghenghis and Skanky Burns both summed up my thoughts in the last two posts following each other.

The French may not be a huge problem for us militarily now, but they might later, and they are the weakest nation right now. It may be impossible to intimidate us then, but strategically it is better to have these french conquests; all of the them.

also, less risk of our cities falling to French control culturally, it's a long shot but it's a good point, nonetheless
Old October 25, 2002, 16:06   #20
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
I agree with Meshelic, Shanky Burns, and Ghengis Farb.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old October 26, 2002, 01:42   #21
Arnelos
Emperor

Go over to the official war poll with France thread...

E_T has offered a very compelling argument in favor of limited war with France rather than complete annexation because the change in Contagion's rank will increase its corruption&waste... thus significantly delaying the construction of our Forbidden Palace... (not to mention the myriad other adverse effects upon other cities in the Persian annexation).

While others such as myself had previously argued for limited war, E_T has now provided the quantitative analysis which demonstrates the superiority of a limited war for our interests.
Old October 26, 2002, 06:49   #22
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
Go over to the official war poll with France thread...

E_T has offered a very compelling argument in favor of limited war with France rather than complete annexation because the change in Contagion's rank will increase its corruption&waste... thus significantly delaying the construction of our Forbidden Palace... (not to mention the myriad other adverse effects upon other cities in the Persian annexation).

While others such as myself had previously argued for limited war, E_T has now provided the quantitative analysis which demonstrates the superiority of a limited war for our interests.
Once again we don't have to keep ll of the cities. We can spread them out so that they do not impact the corruption as much.

The important thing is to elimate France as a player thus ending their nationalities hositility towards us in out cities.

Need I remind you that we are also trying to flip some 6 cities into our empire so an argument to avoid taking 3 cities is very hollow as we are already trying to take another 6.
Old October 26, 2002, 11:29   #23
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 10:48
We could move those cities, but if we do so, then in the spirit of the new appolytonian enlightment movement, i say we must not starve those frenchies!

just rush workers to lower the pop, then disband the city, we have the cash for this.
if this can be agreed upon, then let us annex france. If not, we can still annex france- but no starvation please.
Old October 26, 2002, 14:25   #24
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

As I posted in another thread, the AI will happily accept cities as gifts, even though it won't trade for them. So, we could rid ourselves of select cities and improve relations with someone at the same time.
Old October 26, 2002, 16:34   #25
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:48
It would be funny if we could give it to one of the lost civs. Just think of the corruption they'll suffer from.
EDIT: On second thought, here's an idea: we pick a French city that we don't want and invest in the culture of the surrounding cities. Then we give the city to a lost civ or an otherwise remote civ (the Aztecs or the English), wait for it to flip and then give it to another civ again. That way we can gift it over and over again and improve our relations.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 26, 2002, 16:42   #26
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Good idea. The Aztecs (or English or someone else) would probably be better, since we'll have to wait till we can sell the lost civ's contacts to gift it to one of them.
Old October 27, 2002, 01:00   #27
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Here's an image of the proposed consolidation before it was voted into oblivion:

Old October 27, 2002, 16:32   #28
Reddawg
Prince

This poll seems pointless to me; if we start this war and France bribes someone and ultimately the conflict is widened, then we'll have to reconsider our position. If that doesn't happen, well then it doesn't make sense to half-step through it and leave them with a few weak cities that will ultimately be absorbed by someone else.
Old October 27, 2002, 20:34   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
This poll seems pointless to me; if we start this war and France bribes someone and ultimately the conflict is widened, then we'll have to reconsider our position. If that doesn't happen, well then it doesn't make sense to half-step through it and leave them with a few weak cities that will ultimately be absorbed by someone else.
This poll was just to find out where most people stood. It is pointless in the fact that it will have no impact on the war in France, that has been written in stone and we will NOT take all of France. I stated in the first post that it was unofficial.

I simply believed that a large number of Apolytonians would have supported the elimination of France while others believed far more citizens abhored the idea.
Old October 28, 2002, 01:21   #30
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Reddawg
I concur to a degree -- our end goal may indeed be determined by what events occur during the French "Golden Age Causing" War, however, I think people should put to rest the notion that France will bribe anyone into attacking us.

They did once in the past and we learned our lesson from it. From now on we sell technology and/or maps to enemy civs just before the attack so that we empty their coffers prior to the war. So long as they are broke they cannot buy allies.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.