Old October 24, 2002, 18:44   #1
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 02:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Rules.txt - Terrain Movement Problem
In the Rules.txt file, the first two terrain values control movement and defense. This is well known, and many scenarios modify them. What's interesting is that these values can be different for the special terrains. And that's what I tried to do.

For example, if Mountain terrain has a base movement value of 6 why not change one of the Mountain Specials from "Gold" to "Pass", and give it a movement value of 2? It seemed like a neat thing to do (and actually it's an important part of my scenario) except it DOESN'T WORK!! Even though the special is set for 2, the movement cost is actually 6.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else had success with two different movement values for the same terrain type?

There's no question that specials DO provide different values for food, shields, and trade so it seems odd that the movement cost doesn't change (and presumably neither does the defense feature - although I haven't tested that).

NOTE: Please don't suggest that I use a different kind of terrain to create the passage - the "mountain terrain" in my scenario is actually something else and it's important that continuity be maintained.
Old October 24, 2002, 18:50   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 05:49
I altered the defensive values of the specials in my Stalingrad scenario. Then I got an email from Xin Yu, he had spotted that I had altered them but told me the didnt ever work. And sure enough, they don't for me either.
Old November 2, 2002, 14:48   #3
Patient English
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
My Hellas scenario (Get it here... ) has mountain passes, with non-standard movement and defence (for a mountain, that is). Seems to work.

Sorry - I see you are talking about SPECIALS. Just ignore me... I'm going senile.

Thanks, Henrik!

Last edited by Patient English; November 2, 2002 at 14:59.
Old November 2, 2002, 17:09   #4
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 10:49
It only seems to work when you set the ressource move value higher than than that of the original terrain. I guess this idea is just too beautiful to work