Old October 24, 2002, 23:54   #1
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Ideas for out-of-game-deals
As I've mentioned several times before, I play civ with a small group of friends (about 6 of us), and we've begun to create some "out of game" diplomatic agreements that we will all acknowldege as if they were set in game.

there are several obvious ones, like Territorial Border Agreements (draw a border and have no cities with borders that go over the border line), canal city usage, Worker Contracting (ie a civ building another civ's railroads for a price) etc.

right now we're debating how to "officially" claim new lands.

the best part about these out of game deals is that they are easily broken, and provide for a much more complex diplomatic system.

you know, all the stuff civ SHOULD have had in it

I was wondering what else you guys could come up with that will be interesting to have "out of the game".
Old October 25, 2002, 02:27   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:49
Recipe exchange program.
Old October 25, 2002, 09:16   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:49
making a GL factory comes to mind.
I.E. creaty a fake war with cheap units in order to generate GL's

I've said this before too:

This kind of thing is ok, when all the players involved know about this, and have agreed to it.
But, if I find anyone doing this in a MP I'm playing in, it's GAME OVER as far as I am concerned
Old October 25, 2002, 11:55   #4
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
But, if I find anyone doing this in a MP I'm playing in, it's GAME OVER as far as I am concerned
What's wrong with paying your neighbour for creating railroads? That's not against the rules.
Old October 25, 2002, 13:21   #5
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Sometimes these out-of-the-game negotiations and trades (NOT rules) are the best part of the game (like this pay-for-rairoad agreement).

I remember when playing Monopoly, negotiating out-of-the-game trades was more fun than in-game, fixed rules.
--Woody Allen
Old October 25, 2002, 14:22   #6
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

yea alva, it's not like im brining my 5 buddies online to play against you, we just have out little group.

although, i may start playing randomly if theres not much ICS / REXing.
Old October 25, 2002, 15:54   #7
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I will be making all kinds of deals when I am playing with my friends. Nuclear treaties will be important for sure.

Sell your photos
Old October 25, 2002, 18:12   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm saying you can't have any out of game deals as Tiberius calls them , but I just don't think it's fun playing against a clan for example.

I do think there is a difference with alliances that happen in game due to events (wich I'm all for) and starting off a game where 2 or 3 players act as 1 (from beginning to end)
Old October 26, 2002, 23:11   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
making a GL factory comes to mind.
I.E. creaty a fake war with cheap units in order to generate GL's

I've said this before too:

This kind of thing is ok, when all the players involved know about this, and have agreed to it.
why? why cant two people secretly establish a deal? its kinda cheap but it certainly isnt a cheat.. and the person who is "selling" a GL does lose unknown amount of units until buyer gets GL.

I think instead of making deal promising to sell GLs, Making a deal to sell your number of warriors and stacking them in buyers desired place would be better idea. Then buyer can attack in chance to get GL. that would also keep your casualty in the deal to finite number.
Old October 26, 2002, 23:18   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Sometimes these out-of-the-game negotiations and trades (NOT rules) are the best part of the game (like this pay-for-rairoad agreement).

I remember when playing Monopoly, negotiating out-of-the-game trades was more fun than in-game, fixed rules.
absolutely, and also deal doesnt even have to stick to favors ingame either. We used to play "real money monopoly where ten cents in real money was equal to a monopoly dollar. Standard monopoly rules and No restriction rules on trade deals. It got dirty and nasty REAL quick. And it was fun. You had roommates promising 1 week freepass to having a room to yourself whenever you wanted to have sex in the room. I pesonally had to do a paper on charlemagne for medival class that I never took...
Old October 27, 2002, 04:48   #11
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:49
What about protection deals like weve got now but with the weaker civs paying a stronger one protection money. Although you can already make threats the AI dont often play ball.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 27, 2002, 12:31   #12
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 02:49
I like the idea of out of game deals. It may not be exactly fair but come on is terrorists fair. In reality it happens alot when not in a United Nations meeting.
Old October 27, 2002, 12:53   #13
Trifna
King

Local Time: 17:49
Agreement to pass on a PORTION of territory. Like when it's to go from a place to another for war. Or when there is a portion of territory cut from the rest.
Old October 27, 2002, 14:58   #14
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

I'll definately use them with friends and probably will if I ever play with people I don't know (although I don't know how much I'll trust them). For example I'm industrious and have alot of workers then I'll be willing build roads\rr for my allies in exchange for protection\techs\money. I think we'll see more people trading cities too. For example England is at war with Germany, US agrees to provide naval\air support (and maybe a some artiliry) in exchange for certain captured cities, that way England doesn't need to have alot of money to get their allie's support and the ally doesn't need to commit troops to share in the spoils.