Old October 25, 2002, 04:35   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Pushing for Peace
I really do try to be at peace with the AI players as much as possible. I'll even give them what they want to get that peace: "String Disruptors Miriam? Sure!!"

Do you try to be at peace in your solo games? Or do you just crush all?
Old October 25, 2002, 06:54   #2
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 11:50
I try to hold Peace till War is on my Terms
I do have some Limits though..
No Chaos Gun/ No too good Armor but otherwise sure.
Old October 25, 2002, 09:24   #3
MariOne
King

There ARE some SMAC Challenges which have "No War ever on Chiron" in their requisite goals...

(yes, I think this was meant not even between AI factions!....)
Old October 25, 2002, 10:56   #4
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I only try to maintain my integrity at noble, so i don't declare war on anyone, this usually means i'll have the hive and believers wiped out pretty soon persisten bast****
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old October 25, 2002, 14:04   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
I try to maintain peace as much as possible, unless I start next to Miriam or Yang, in which case I have to smash them as quick as I can.

Like Mr. Brain said, I try to engage in wars only on my terms, so I usually give in to any demands, provided they are not too absurd.
Old October 25, 2002, 14:11   #6
spartak
King

Local Time: 09:50
Also, there is always peace if your oppounts become submissive pact mates
Old October 25, 2002, 16:30   #7
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Im no Big Friend of Submissive Pact Mates
They tend to build bases wehere I dont want.. you cant really give them Tech 'cause they
A) cant Protect it
b) Tend to give it away on absurd Trades
(Space Flight against Silksteel?) Eek..

:=)
Old October 25, 2002, 17:44   #8
baturkey
Settler

Don't give tech away to submissives. Selling it is a good way to raise some emergency cash, as they'll go into a negative energy balance to buy tech.
Old October 25, 2002, 21:11   #9
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:50
i think a better idea is to give them tech so that they can do some of your research for you, and then they'll stay loyal to you. no that i've ever had a submissive (even miriam) rebel, but they're better to keep around, not to suck the life out of
Old October 26, 2002, 03:50   #10
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:50
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Annunikoba-what happened to your messed up avatars?
Why Kain?

Anyway, to answer your question...no I don't make peace. I play the Human Hive. Any faction that doesn't submit to my rule should be squashed before my might and eradicated. PK's, Believers, anyone who opposes me gets SINGULARITY planet-bustered.

No peace for your most hated foes.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old October 26, 2002, 04:40   #11
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 19:50
I only like the peace of deterrence. And I get really mad when other leaders demand money and technology.
Old October 26, 2002, 09:39   #12
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 19:50
Whether or not I try and maintain peace depends on the faction I'm using.

If I'm Peacekeepers, University or Gaians, I'll usually be allied to the other two of those, with Spartans and Morganites as neutral (if not destroyed already), and the Hive and Believers as blood enemies (if I haven't for some reason destroyed them already).

As the Spartans or Hive, I don't really care about the politics of the other factions myself. If they try shoving me around, I'll roll my mighty war machine right over their frail, insignificant peoples.

As the Morganites or Believers, I try and maintain peace with EVERYONE, probing the enemy and framing other factions for the probe actions. It really helps when everyone else is at each other's throats and I happen to be the only leader at peace with them all to get the necessary votes for any Planetary Governor or Supreme Leader elections.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:44   #13
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankychan
Annunikoba-what happened to your messed up avatars?
Why Kain?
He's just better for the Halloween season

I guess it doesn't help that I play the PKs a lot. Might explain my tendency towards peace. But really, I just like to draw out my games as long as possible, because they are usually over too fast when playing solo.

Funny though, but I must do something to keep Miriam on good terms, cause she tends not to hate me.
Old October 26, 2002, 12:34   #14
spartak
King

I never guive tech to a submissive faction and if they build cities in unhelpful places its easy to just demand that they hand them over and generally they will. Occasionally you have to buy the cities off them but in that case you just demand the cash back.

Submissive pact mates are a fantastic way to keep youir bank balance up - not just the extra trade but if you demend they hand their cash over they do so you also get their income - makes it worthwhile to hand their empires back unmolested after you have beated seven shades of **** out of them. Also there are extra points for pactmates when you have won a game...
Old October 26, 2002, 19:32   #15
CEO Aaron
ACDG3 Morgan
King

I used to never give in to any computer demands, but now I tend to groom a few AI factions for pact mates, if I think I can keep them happy with my SE choices. From there I'll find other factions that I would like to trade with and pound them into submission, then give them back all their bases. I once tried teching up my bases and giving techs to my submissives and pact mates, but I found that not only did they do didly squat with the advances I gave them, but they produced excessive eco-damage, and started causing global warming. Now I only trade tech with pact mates. I will occasionally give a tech or two to submissives, but only if its fairly well back of my lead, and I don't mind it falling into enemy hands.
Old October 28, 2002, 05:10   #16
gwillybj
Prince

Location: Eurytion Mining Camp: 100°C dayside, 100°F nightside.
Very rarely do I initiate hostilities Even then, I will most often take a defensive stance It is equally rare that I refuse a Truce Unless the terms of that Truce are so outlandish as to be unacceptable I sign.
Old October 28, 2002, 10:54   #17
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 04:50
I prefer to play at peace with my neighbors but recognize that they eventually will want to attack "little old me". Gotta love it, though, when a non-committal neighbor (no truce or treaty) wants me to hand over ASF or Sentient Resonance!

If starting near an aggressive neighbor, I will goad them into starting the war themselves (to preserve my reputation for future negotiations). When playing the warmonger factions, I will bully an early neighbor to get a quick submissive (esp when I play as Miriam).

Frequently, I will see Spartans or Pirates on the doorstep early on, well before I am ready to fight them. I try to keep them happy without a fight and will even join a war with them in order to Pact (buys some buffer time, as long as the chosen enemy isn't too powerful).

As for submissives, they are the Golden Goose, man! How generous I am with them, however, depends upon the situatiuon. Always give away useless, distant, zero-net-energy captured bases (for the commerce income).

If most of the factions are already at war, I will make sure the submissive also joins the fight before I share higher techs. But I always feel a little wary before giving them Fusion power (knowing that cheap, annoying sea-colony-pods are soon to arrive on my shores). For those, keep some IoD's around, release into the wild when a seabase appears.

Tech parity with your submissives is great - they do a good job of acquiring those pesky off-beeline techs. And ISTR a tech thread indicating that your research costs are greater if there is a wide tech gap (haven't play-tested this, but it stands to reason)? Close that gap by giving freely.
Old October 28, 2002, 12:23   #18
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Excellent points Earwicker.

I am surprised at the number of folks that regard submissives so poorly.

I always check their research rate and at the point they are about to discover another tech gift, call them up to ge the new tech. If they are researching a tech I already have, I'll gift them all my techs so that they research a brand new one for me, available next turn.

I don't worry so much about them selling my secrets to others as more often than not the game breaks down into a world war with my side (including 2+ submissives) 'gainst the other factions. I'll take the combined research of 3 factions any day even if it means a tech gets pilfered here and there by enemy factions.

Heck in order to boost trade incomes I'll even build bases for my pact mates. (normally crappy sea bases)

If you build up your submissives properly they can normally research as fast as you (since the AI gets all types of cheat bonusses)

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old October 28, 2002, 20:34   #19
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by gwillybj
Very rarely do I initiate hostilities Even then, I will most often take a defensive stance It is equally rare that I refuse a Truce Unless the terms of that Truce are so outlandish as to be unacceptable I sign.
Very visual.
Old October 28, 2002, 22:12   #20
Kirov
Prince

I never maintain peace just to have peace, but rather always calculate whether war is worth waging.

I like having submissive mates very much. I usually give them techs, and often even trade them my newly-captured enemy bases, thus transfering the problem of additional drones and increasing the potential of that mate. Their tech capacity is usu irrelevant, but they can help anyway.