Old October 25, 2002, 13:55   #1
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 09:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why do I want PTW?
I know a lot of you are keen for multiplayer. I'll never play MP. Do I want PTW then? Why?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old October 25, 2002, 14:00   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:51
Yes. I do not play MP either, but new civs, new units and if you come to the forums, you will not be able to have any appreciation for much of the dialog without it. People will be talking about vikings and such.
Old October 25, 2002, 14:06   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:51
I'm not particularly interested in multiplayer either, but the new civs and units, plus whatever other tweaks they've snuck in, are enough to catch my interest. With how much I play, the extra cost per hour for the new version will be essentially nothing.

Nathan
Old October 25, 2002, 14:14   #4
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

I _might_ play MP with my wife, but for me, it's all about new civs, especially new industrious civs. Damn, I wish I'd skipped those when I started playing.
Old October 25, 2002, 15:34   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 10:51
Never played anything on multiplayer to date so I dont know if Ill do so with PTW, Ill still buy it to stay with the plot same as others have said.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old October 25, 2002, 15:59   #6
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 06:51
Hm.

- Eight new civs.
- Enhanced Scenario Editor.
- New map features like outposts, radar towers and airfields.
- New guerilla and medieval infantry units.
- New wonders and new city improvements.
- Updated interface improvements (auto bombard, rally points, stacked movement and a new espionage interface).

Sounds good enough for me.
Old October 25, 2002, 16:06   #7
MyOlde
Prince

Okay, you sold me!

Thanks
Old October 25, 2002, 16:38   #8
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

I'll buy it as soon as events, and real pre-set diplomacy, are build in
Old October 25, 2002, 16:54   #9
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 11:51
PtW is a slow-moving RtS if I understand it right.

The biggest fear I have is that PtW will be too crude. Like Tiberian Sun instead of Brood Wars. I have played both. TS was like "The one who got the lead in the early rush won". BW was like " You could always change strategy and win" ...

Edit: Don't write in the forums when drunk!

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; October 26, 2002 at 03:26.
Old October 25, 2002, 17:34   #10
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 04:51
Plus it'll have better terrain graphics
Old October 25, 2002, 17:48   #11
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

The new city improvements (stock market, commercial dock and civil defense) will make for more interesting research decisions in the industrial age.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 25, 2002, 17:49   #12
Slax
Prince

I, as always, will wait at least a month while reading what you guys think.
Old October 25, 2002, 17:56   #13
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Re interface improvements: The trade advisor will include information about your current deals, so you don't need to contact other civs just for deal checking.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 25, 2002, 17:58   #14
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
Re interface improvements: The trade advisor will include information about your current deals, so you don't need to contact other civs just for deal checking.
This is a great feature.
Old October 25, 2002, 18:30   #15
Demerzel
Warlord

if you look at the feature list provided above, most of that should have been included in the original game rather than in a give-us-more-money expansion pack.
Old October 25, 2002, 18:41   #16
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
if you look at the feature list provided above, most of that should have been included in the original game rather than in a give-us-more-money expansion pack.
Not this lame threadjack again. You knew what was in the Civ3 box when you bought it. If you truly feel this way don't buy PTW and don't play PTW.

Of course Firaxis wants to make money, it's how Mike B pays his bills (and the rest of Firaxis for that matter). I'd want to be paid for what I worked on for the last year too.

Last edited by WarpStorm; October 25, 2002 at 20:21.
Old October 25, 2002, 18:44   #17
planetfall
Prince

Local Time: 02:51
I would never buy it for MP, but 2 improvements make it worthwhile:

1- new city improvements
2- Manhattan is supposed to be a small wonder.

Besides if you want forum help, you really have to be playing the latest/greatest so you can get valid advice.

Also remember this is not MS, you don't have to wait 9 months to get dependable software. But if you are in the middle of a game, why not finish and if there are any major bugs they will be found in the first few weeks.

-- PF
Old October 25, 2002, 20:42   #18
Tassadar500
Emperor

Wow I dont even know if I would buy PTW if there wasnt multiplayer.
Old October 25, 2002, 21:07   #19
wvfoos
Chieftain

I dunno. I play fps stuff, mostly quake3 mods online. I'm kind of hesitant to play stuff like civ3 and rts stuff online, cuz I'm sure I'll get waxed by just about everyone out there. I don't put near enough time into a game like civ3 to master every nuance. I'm sure I'd get torn up by the civfanatics.

I may get it just cuz its the latest greatest thing though, and play offline.
Old October 25, 2002, 23:34   #20
Demerzel
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

Not this lame threadjack again. You knew what was in the Civ3 box when you bought it. If you truly feel this way don't buy PTW and don't play PTW.

Of course Firaxis wants to make money, it's how Mike B pays his bills (and the rest of Firaxis for that matter). I'd want to be paid for what I worked on for the last year too.
I answered the question that is all. I bought Civ3 and was annoyed as most by the lack of certain features and the insanely poor implementation of other bits BUT I am overall satisfied with my purchase. However, I have no intention of buying PtW for a few measly updated graphics/civs. You've answered the topic and I didn't question your response so why have you bitten my head off for mine? I believe I have the right to question the similarities to the Fifa-200x style minimum game update for maximum ripoff-cash strategy.

Planetfall - wasnt Mahattan supposed to be a small wonder for Civ3 itself? got to wonder why its taken an expansion pack to give us what they said they would give us in the first place...
Old October 25, 2002, 23:50   #21
werdhertz
Chieftain

I dont understand why some people arent interested in the multiplayer nI personally cannot WAIT for it. To be able to wadge diplmoatic wars with a REAL person is gonna be great. The options! Think of the options! The OPTIONSSSSS
Old October 26, 2002, 02:22   #22
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by werdhertz
I dont understand why some people arent interested in the multiplayer nI personally cannot WAIT for it. To be able to wadge diplmoatic wars with a REAL person is gonna be great. The options! Think of the options! The OPTIONSSSSS
The options, many of which involve things like dishonesty, ganging up on the leader just to stop him from winning, and making sure if you go down, your hated rival goes down with you. There are quite a few things in human behavior that I can do just fine without. And that's even aside from how horrifically slow Civ 3 would be as a multi-player game if players don't choose rules and victory conditions that turn it into something else.

Nathan
Old October 26, 2002, 02:24   #23
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

The options, many of which involve things like dishonesty, ganging up on the leader just to stop him from winning, and making sure if you go down, your hated rival goes down with you. There are quite a few things in human behavior that I can do just fine without. And that's even aside from how horrifically slow Civ 3 would be as a multi-player game if players don't choose rules and victory conditions that turn it into something else.
Oh, and let's not forget the enormous luck factor regarding who gets the good starting positions.

Nathan
Old October 26, 2002, 05:09   #24
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Another PTW feature, per Soren in the recent CF chat: AI (and barbarian) behavior tweaks. Instead of the Stack of Doom, they will generally spread out, so you will actually have them advancing on a "front" to deal with. Barbs will pillage and plunder.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 26, 2002, 08:36   #25
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 12:51
Here's my list of reasons why I get PtW the first day it's available here:

-- I love Civ too much, I have had every single title thus far. I even bought CtP 2 before any mods came out, just because I couldn't miss a civ title.

-- MP. Not that I'm going to play terribly much of it, probably, but it's amazing to match yourself with another thinking human opponent - more wile than any AI, even this one.

-- New civs. Some interesting options to try out, even though there are no new traits.

-- Airfields, outposts, radar towers. Again, some more stuff to add a few tricks to the game, adding up to the general fun factor.

-- AI. Any AI improvements are good for me, I want them no matter what. If Jaybe is right, it's amazing that the AI will no longer make those Stacks of Doom - it's the AI's biggest weakness for now.

-- It has my map in it, damnit!
Old October 26, 2002, 08:51   #26
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
You've answered the topic and I didn't question your response so why have you bitten my head off for mine?
Nothing personal. It's one of my 'hot buttons'. It's just that I've seen this line of reasoning lin dozens of threads being used to justify pirating PTW and it sets off an automatic reaction. As a person who makes his living by people actually paying him for his software works, I feel very strongly against piracy. Sorry.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:02   #27
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Quote:
Oh, and let's not forget the enormous luck factor regarding who gets the good starting positions.
also having to listen to people whining about how because they got a bad starting possition that, that's the reason why they lost. If your a good player you'll be able to compete in most starting possitions, and if your bad you'll proably lose in most starting possitions pretty quickly. To me it's part of the game but I assume that we'll see some star craft style "equal resorces for everyone" maps pretty quickly, then people can only argue about how they didn't get a good civ
Old October 26, 2002, 10:26   #28
WarpStorm
King

Then there'll be the games with perfectly even maps, people playing with no civ traits, mods to remove leaders, great wonders, goody huts and barbarians, mod to reduce the luck factor in combat (why play civ if this what you need to do to have a fun MP game). You'll still have whiney losers.
Old October 26, 2002, 10:59   #29
Cidifer
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

good point another reason not to play MP with the general public, fortunatly I have 4-5 friends that I can play with (probably against the AI most of the time to get more players though), still trying to convince a few other people to get Civ3 and PTW but it's tough to convince them to spend $80.
Old October 26, 2002, 14:01   #30
Demerzel
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm

Nothing personal. It's one of my 'hot buttons'. It's just that I've seen this line of reasoning lin dozens of threads being used to justify pirating PTW and it sets off an automatic reaction. As a person who makes his living by people actually paying him for his software works, I feel very strongly against piracy. Sorry.
I've worked in the gaming industry in the past, including a company that did yearly updates of its products and I didn't agree with the philosophy even then. I felt we should have been better served by getting out the newer incarnation of our game six months to a year earlier rather than by releasing small increments that didn't really improve the game much over a longer period and just made it seem that we were trying to be money grabbing.

For the reasons above, I hate piracy as much as any other developer. Sadly it seems with the proliferation of cable modems piracy of games, films, etc... is now seen by many as part of their dues. I've had a few arguments with them trying to point out error but most just ignore me