Old October 26, 2002, 00:22   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 09:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Russian Forces Enter Theatre, End Hostage Situation
http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=3...rld&cat=Russia

Old October 26, 2002, 00:35   #2
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 04:52
terrorists seems to have forgotten how to really terrorize. They might as well should have killed all hostages when they were about to be attacked. Obviously I'm talking in their interest though. It's great that that wasn't the case. ( though some hostages did die is what im informed of)
Old October 26, 2002, 00:49   #3
JCG
Prince

Local Time: 04:52
Apparently the only ones that died were the ones that the terrorists were starting to execute, from what I've understood at this moment.
Old October 26, 2002, 02:42   #4
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 18:52
Good work!
Old October 26, 2002, 02:48   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 17:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
terrorists seems to have forgotten how to really terrorize. They might as well should have killed all hostages when they were about to be attacked.
Mighty hard to do, when you are swarmed from all directions at once.
Old October 26, 2002, 04:02   #6
Frankychan
ACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 23:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
F*** the terrorists (mods can edit my post if I'm offensive) but these terrorists are nothing but cowards and a bunch of pr!cks that needs "spankings". I'm glad Russians don't take s*** from nobody and go in there and kick some a**.

I hope all terrorists know that civilized nations won't stand for their BS and will kick their a** to kingdom come.
"...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis
Old October 26, 2002, 04:02   #7
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 17:52
If it's this easy to cause terrorism, won't this encourage other terrorists around the world to terrorize?

"That's terrible!" - Clark Kent
"That's why they call it terrorism Kent" - Perry White
Old October 26, 2002, 05:02   #8
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 16:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
terrorists seems to have forgotten how to really terrorize. They might as well should have killed all hostages when they were about to be attacked. Obviously I'm talking in their interest though. It's great that that wasn't the case. ( though some hostages did die is what im informed of)
"Ne hui bilo so specnazom svyazivatsya. "
Just a saying.

And your media still call "people" who did this a gunmens and rebels, but not in any case call their real names- TERRORISTS. Great! Just great!
Old October 26, 2002, 05:04   #9
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 12:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Serb

And your media still call "people" who did this, gunmen and rebels, but not in any case call their real names- TERRORISTS. Great! Just great!
And your media still calls certain other terrorists "boeviki".
Old October 26, 2002, 05:07   #10
Serb
Emperor

boeviki, terroristi
odin her- padal.

The difference between rebel and terrorist is much more sugnificient.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:19   #11
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The spokesman of the Russian foreign ministry says that 67 hostages were killed during the action.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:25   #12
Eli
Emperor

42 of the surviving hostages suffer from "gas poisoning". The gas is unknown to the doctors.
Old October 26, 2002, 05:55   #13
Serb
Emperor

Still better then suffering from being torn apart by explosion.

Can you provide the link?

And by the way he said "we've lost 67 hostages", not "67 we killed during the action".
Old October 26, 2002, 07:03   #14
Saras
Emperor

So, I kept my fingers crossed in vain...

But is this a successful operation or a complete FUBAR? I mean, it is unprecedented so can't realy compare, but hey, we have all sort of experts here?
Old October 26, 2002, 07:05   #15
Saint Marcus
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 10:52
Russians and their overkill...gas poinoing the hostages...I can tell they never played Counter Strike.
Old October 26, 2002, 07:07   #16
spartak
King

Lets keep the language nice and polite folks. Especially you Serb. No more willy references please - my Mrs often reads over my shoulder. Don't be so nekulturniy.
Old October 26, 2002, 07:10   #17
spartak
King

THIS is what the BBC had to say on the subject.

Quote:
But 67 hostages were also killed during the rescue operation, Russian Deputy Interior Minister Vladimir Vasilyev has acknowledged. He said more than 750 had been saved
Not fantastic but certainly better than them all dying which would have been inevitable if the Russians had done nothing about it.

How much of a hit has Putin taken over this I wonder?
Old October 26, 2002, 07:16   #18
Saras
Emperor

I just spoke to my friend at Lithuanian Special forces - he was speachless about how SUCCESSFUL an operation this was, given the unprecedented circumstances, explosives and a huge number of both terrorists and hostages - and he said Alfa really kicked arse. So you have a "competitor" praising this op...

Of course, it won't seem that successful to the relatives of 67 victims
Old October 26, 2002, 07:19   #19
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 11:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Taz
Not fantastic but certainly better than them all dying which would have been inevitable if the Russians had done nothing about it.
Exactly. The good news is that the complete overkill didn´t happen and this is certainly a success. OTOH, 67 dead civilians (if those numbers are right) give this success a bitter taste...
Old October 26, 2002, 07:22   #20
spartak
King

To be honest i can't see how the bodybag count could have been any better than that.
Old October 26, 2002, 07:35   #21
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Taz
Lets keep the language nice and polite folks. Especially you Serb. No more willy references please - my Mrs often reads over my shoulder. Don't be so nekulturniy.
What did I said?...in this thread?
And why do you know word "nekulturniy?
Old October 26, 2002, 07:59   #22
spartak
King

Quote:

What did I said?...in this thread?
And why do you know word "nekulturniy?

You know which two words I am refering to, and they are widely know to many non-Russian speakers but since I speak a little and my wife is Russian and drawn to threads about Russia, I would ask you to display a little common sense and use less rude language.

Have you worked out how I know the word nekulturniy yet? Are you really a drunk dvornik? Or do you just talk like one? Given your standard of English, I always assumed you were slighly more educated than that!
Old October 26, 2002, 08:06   #23
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
If it's this easy to cause terrorism, won't this encourage other terrorists around the world to terrorize?
Actually I think that under the circumstances the Russians came out of this rather well - rushing to save the hostages as they began to be slaughtered like animals in an abbatoir...

This will backfire badly on Chechen Independence claims - even if it is not the will of the majority of it's peoples. The will of the many has been terribly dashed by the actions of a motley band of murderous scum...

So no, this action in the eyes of the (sane) World will be seen as a complete disaster for terrorism in general - with a clear message that they will not succeed in their ultimate goals and that most likely they will die trying...

Quote:
Originally posted by St Marcus Russians and their overkill...gas poinoing the hostages...I can tell they never played Counter Strike.
Geez Sparky...

Shut your cakehole and stop with the verbal diarhoea already - you're stinking up the forum...

You have eyes - use them to R-E-A-D!

Some pertinent excerpts...

Quote:
The BBC's Jonathan Charles, who is at the scene, says this was not a planned operation but one which was triggered by events
Quote:
The rescue operation began when some of the hostages tried to escape after the rebels shot two of their captives and injured at least two others.
Quote:
Russian special forces then rushed to their aid, engaging in a pitched gun battle which lasted more than an hour.
Quote:
Troops had released sleeping gas into the theatre to subdue the rebels before they stormed the complex at about 0600 local time (0200 GMT).
It is possible that some of the hostages had allergic reactions to the effects of sleeping gas - as can happen with tear gas or mace (hey let's call that 'poison gas' for Sparky's benefit!)...

It is also possible that the Chechens brought poison gas with them as part of their 'final solution'.

It would however seem rather counter-productive that the Russians themselves had used the poison gas themselves with the intention of killing the terrorists due to the obvious collateral damage...

Get with the programme, Sparky!

===

Whilst the deaths of 67 hostages is indeed a huge tragedy - I think that such a relatively low loss of civilian life is the best we could have hoped for once the Terrorists had force the hand of the security services...
Old October 26, 2002, 08:18   #24
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
I wonder what punishment Russia will dish out to the terrorists? If it's the death penalty will the EU complain?
Old October 26, 2002, 08:24   #25
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MOBIUS
Whilst the deaths of 67 hostages is indeed a huge tragedy - I think that such a relatively low loss of civilian life is the best we could have hoped for once the Terrorists had force the hand of the security services...
Absolutely agreed. Those guys risked their lives and saved hundrends of people. Just think about it, whole place could be destroyed in blast every second and about 1000 people (including specnaz) could be dead now. Now only it didn't happen, but even explosives carried by kamikadzes weren't triggered. Could you imagine what harm could be done by 2 kg of highly devastating explosive in room where 700 hostages are held? And every kamikadze carried such bomb on himself. 30 bombs were disabled.
Specnaz did they best and even a bit more. No one should blame them. Of course loss of 67 people lives it's a terrible tragedy for all our people. We will never forget this day. And will get those bastards who send those terrorists. But no one should blame specnaz they are real heroes. They are the best.
But unfortunately, I predict that there will be a lot of blaiming here, more probably some morons on TV will start to shout- which gas? was it necessary? who gave the order? Tell us, we need to know. etc. They do not need to know. Such things should be keep in secret. Otherwise it will be very usefull for next terrorists.
Old October 26, 2002, 08:26   #26
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
I wonder what punishment Russia will dish out to the terrorists? If it's the death penalty will the EU complain?
No doubt they will.
We have maratorium (spelling?) for death penalty. There was no single execution during last 7-8 years, iirc the date.

Last edited by Serb; October 26, 2002 at 08:45.
Old October 26, 2002, 08:30   #27
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:52
Quote:

No doubt they will.
We have maratorium (spelling?) for death penalty. There was no single executions during last 7-8 years, iirc the date.
So will the Russian Federation make an exception for these guys?
Old October 26, 2002, 08:33   #28
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Taz

You know which two words I am refering to, and they are widely know to many non-Russian speakers but since I speak a little and my wife is Russian and drawn to threads about Russia, I would ask you to display a little common sense and use less rude language.

OK.
Quote:
Are you really a drunk dvornik? Or do you just talk like one?
Oh.. you really don't know how those guys are talking.
I could provide you with couple of examples... later, if you wish, the funniest examples. j/k and I'm not one of them of course, don't get me wrong. My sister is linguist student and she made research about Russian "mat".
Old October 26, 2002, 08:34   #29
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 19:52
The death penalty would only make martyrs of the survivors - exactly what they want now that their mission has failed...

No, far better to pack them off somewhere to break rocks for the rest of their lives and forget about them!

I hear Siberia is just coming into it's 'tourist' season about this time of year...
Old October 26, 2002, 08:41   #30
Serb
Emperor

Yep. Send them here, too many people here want to say a couple of words to those guys.