Old October 30, 2002, 20:57   #391
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
It wasn't confusion about the nature of the gas that bungled the operation, it was an obsession with secrecy.
Whatever the reason, it ultimately comes down to gross irresponsibility. The authorities should've been able to give the hospitals and medics the information and resources they needed immediately.

Quote:
The government was not in a position to negotiate on that point. That left little bargaining room.
They shouldn't have needed much bargaining room had they the will to pull out.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old October 30, 2002, 21:09   #392
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

You mean had they been spineless immoral cowards willing to be bullied into pulling out.

No, I know you meant what you wrote. It is just more blantant propaganda of the type often spouted by scumbag anarchist Islamic terrorist sympathizers.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:16   #393
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 06:52
Anarchists... the same old crap... the same old rhetoric... the same old support for terrorists who murder...
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:25   #394
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 01:52
Down with terrorists. I dont see how you can negociate with them. The only negociation they understand is violence, and violence should be met with violence. However, if the authorities had told the medics about what the composition of the gas was, there wouldnt have been this many dead and we wouldnt have had this conversation.
The suicide bombers in Palestine dont negociate. They are smart enough to know that nothing will happen.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:26   #395
Ned
King

Local Time: 01:52
Yes, I can see it all now. Future Chechen operatives will certainly use gas masks - something our boys will use if war breaks out in Iraq.

This brings up another method of disabling the terrorists. The US apparently has the ability to stun people with focused microwaves. Maybe, fry their brains a bit.

But does this work through steel helmets? And what about the hostages?

We may be witnessing a weird kind of arms race.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:35   #396
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Ned, remember that web stuff someone was trying to develop. Like with Spiderman, shoot a web on a perp and they are instantly imobilized.

I'd like to have a web version of that to use on David Floyd just for kicks.
Old October 30, 2002, 21:40   #397
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
That's the point. They weren't going to pull out of Chechnya because of this. You knew it, the hostages knew it, the Russians knew it, and most importantly the terrorists knew it.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old October 30, 2002, 22:38   #398
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
No, I know you meant what you wrote. It is just more blantant propaganda of the type often spouted by scumbag anarchist Islamic terrorist sympathizers.
Because I don't think Russian soldiers should be able to terrorize the Chechen people, I'm a "scumbag Islamic terrorist sympathizer?" Russia has gotten into a bloody war where it has committed countless atrocities, and Chechen terrorism obviously isn't going away. It's about time they leave.

Drop the charade, we all know what you think of Moslems.

Quote:
That's the point. They weren't going to pull out of Chechnya because of this. You knew it, the hostages knew it, the Russians knew it, and most importantly the terrorists knew it.
I'm sure the terrorists thought doing this would push Russia into withdrawing, at least marginally. But I don't see how this is relevant...
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old October 30, 2002, 23:25   #399
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
Because I don't think Russian soldiers should be able to terrorize the Chechen people, I'm a "scumbag Islamic terrorist sympathizer?" Russia has gotten into a bloody war where it has committed countless atrocities, and Chechen terrorism obviously isn't going away. It's about time they leave.
Russia had to go to Chechnya. There was no choice. "Terrorizing the Chechen people" is an unfortunate and tragic side effect of an otherwise necessary action. This is partly due to the current lame state of the Russian army, and partly due to the bitterness of the fight.
Old October 30, 2002, 23:41   #400
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Why was there no choice? It's been years since anything as serious as the theatre incident happened. Occupation obviously isn't helping to end Chechen terrorism.
-Bokonon
Old October 30, 2002, 23:56   #401
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
Well, at least now terrorists don't have the whole Chechnya in their exclusive possession. This helps, don't you think?
Old October 31, 2002, 01:16   #402
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 02:52
Chechenya are currently controlled by a combo of Islamic fundamentalists and organized crime bosses. There is no choice but to go head and to wipe those thugs out.