Old October 26, 2002, 03:28   #1
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 11:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Cannons and my MOD
There is one idea that poped in my head, but I don't know is it good, nor should it be added in my MOD. So I need some comments.

It's about Cannons.

First let's compare Strenght of bombarding units.

Artillery (Bomb. 12, ROF 2, cost 80)
vs Cannons (Bomb. 8, ROF 1, cost 40):

Against defense target of 6,
Cannon takes out 0.57 HPs
Artillery takes out 1.33 HPs

Against defense target of 4,
Cannon takes out 0.67 HPs
Artillery takes out 1.5 HPs

Against defense target of 10,
Cannon takes out 0.44 HPs
Artillery takes out 1.09 HPs

Catapults (Bomb. 4, ROF 1, cost 20)
vs Cannons (Bomb. 8, ROF 1, cost 40):

Against defense target of 4,
Catapult takes out 0.5 HPs
Cannon takes out 0.67 HPs

Against defense target of 3,
Catapult takes out 0.57 HPs
Cannon takes out 0.73 HPs

Against defense target of 6,
Catapult takes out 0.4 HPs
Cannon takes out 0.57 HPs

So, at the end, Cannon is more then twice weaker then Artillery (thanks to lower ROF), plus has lower range.

Also, Cannon is NOT twice better then Catapults. Two Catapults do more HP damage then one Cannon.

Thus, I think about changing cost of Cannons to 30 shields (from 40 shields).

What do you think?
Would that be OK?
Balanced?
Gamebreaking?
Old October 26, 2002, 03:30   #2
player1
Emperor

P.S.
This is in strategy forums, since this is NOT about creation, it's about game-balance and stretegy implications of rule changes.
Old October 26, 2002, 17:21   #3
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 04:52
How about keeping the cost 40 shields, but boosting cannon's ROF to 2? They would be closer to artillery in pure damage, but artillery is still far superior since it can fire 2 squares.
Old October 26, 2002, 18:39   #4
player1
Emperor

That's an interesting suggestion.

But it would probably make infaltion of some other units bombard strenght & ROF, like for Frigate (which on avergae deals similar damage as Cannon) or Ironclad.

That's why I was thinking about reduced cost instead.
Old October 26, 2002, 18:50   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 02:52
Leave it be. Cannon strength is appropriate for the period(s). Napoleons were the basic cannon in use from the Napoleonic wars through the American Civil War (musketman through rifleman). Larger (siege) guns and mortars were used, but were not common.

Besides, if you decide to actually USE cannons then you might build a dozen or two, making artillery plentiful when it is time to upgrade.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 26, 2002, 19:30   #6
player1
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
Leave it be. Cannon strength is appropriate for the period(s). Napoleons were the basic cannon in use from the Napoleonic wars through the American Civil War (musketman through rifleman). Larger (siege) guns and mortars were used, but were not common.
Actually, you are right. Thare power is similar to other bomb. units of that age (like Frigate).

But they are a little bit more on expesive side compared to Catapults.

I mean, TWO CATAPULTS can do more damage then one Cannon.

Not a good thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe Besides, if you decide to actually USE cannons then you might build a dozen or two, making artillery plentiful when it is time to upgrade.
Lower cost ==> higher chance that you'll use Cannons.
(and I'm not talking about keeping them just as Arty placeholders)

P.S.
Other option would be to make them with FP of 2, but with cost of 60.
Although that would make some difficulties when "converting" new Korean UU.
Old October 26, 2002, 20:41   #7
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

The other concern is that of the AI's use of them. If they cannot effectively use bombardment units, you are only making them better for YOU.

If it turns out that PtW improves the AI's use of bomb. units, OTOH, ...
Old October 27, 2002, 06:18   #8
player1
Emperor

Quote:
The other concern is that of the AI's use of them. If they cannot effectively use bombardment units, you are only making them better for YOU.

If it turns out that PtW improves the AI's use of bomb. units, OTOH, ...
But in that case, with original rules you can effectively use Arty (before Tanks), also you could effectively use Catapults (against Greeks if you have no Iron).

But Cannons?
They are pretty much unneded exept as Arty "placeholders".

Since making them stronger (like higher ROF) could be unbalancing, I was thinking about just decreasing cost to 30 shields.

That way you could make in average several Cannons more (and AI too if he prefers that stretegy), but not some spectacular powerfull unit.

P.S.
By the way, in my MOD, I have Radar Arty with movment of 2.
(should not be unbalancing since Bombers have greater range)
Old October 28, 2002, 10:41   #9
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 09:52
A cost of 30 for the cannon shouldn't be unbalancing. As these tend to hang around and only be useful in large numbers, the upkeep would be the limiting factor anyway. If this is the only change you consider balanced, you should certainly include it in the MOD(?).

I would give cannons a bombard strengh of 11 and leave its cost and ROF unchanged.
This would make it over twice as good as the catapult only against a rifleman fortified in a metropolis on a hill (I think) and almost half as good as an artillery.

Since this can only do 1hp of damage it should not be too unbalancing.
Increasing the ROF might be unbalancing on its own. If you do this and decrease its bombard strengh or increase its cost, you would also decrease its effectiveness at defence (The usual fate of AI artillery!)
As for the comparison with the frigate, I don't buy it. The choice is rarely an issue so they can easily be balanced seperately.

The Hwacha may need a RF of 2, despite historical considerations, if it is to be on a level with the Patch Suggestion F15 (genuinely annoying to play against.)
P. S. As for the Radar artillery, I would prefer a 0/0/2 21.2.1 with blitz...(continued on another forum)
Old October 28, 2002, 11:43   #10
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 10:52
I almost never build cannons, because they cause such a little damage. 30g may be a better price, but I probably wouldn't build them for this price too, because they are utterly useless. I would prefer if you leave the cost at 40g and make them (and catapults too) more powerful instead. What about a bombardement of 10 or even 12 (ROF 1), or bombardement of 6 and ROF 2?
Old October 28, 2002, 13:35   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:52
I agree, cannons are not very useful. I only make them for coastal def, if I do not have any shipping on hand. I then have to cross my fingers and hope for a rare hit.
Old October 28, 2002, 14:48   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 04:52
catapuls cant go on jungles or mountains (can cannons)?
Old October 28, 2002, 15:07   #13
player1
Emperor

There are meny options for rules changes (like 6 - ROF2), but it's really difficult to find a proper one.

And I also want to make simple conversion of Korean UU when it comes out.

So I guess I'll just make them cheaper.

I first thought to do them as Bom6/ROF2/Cost40, but somehow it just bothered me to have Destoyer and Cannons with equal bombard ratings (it was maybe more a flavor thing for me). And it maks them weaker when defensing a city.

Theoreticly with 8/1/30 they would get similar bombard cost-effeciuvenes as Arty, but with lower range.
You would just need to make more of them.

Anyway, there is another problem with those units, which is not just firepower related.
You get them in time when you can use very powerfull Cavarly, so you realy don't need them in attack (maybe only in defense).
On the other hand you get Arty in times of Infatry, so you need them to soften up enemy defenses (before Tanks).
But this thing can't be solved without making all attacking units much more weaker (and I won't do that).

P.S.
As for Korean UU stats, remeber that they have same cost as Cannons.
So with original PtW rules, you could build two those units for price of one 1 artillery and practicly get same firepower (2 Hwachas = 1Arty)
And it's even better, if you reduce cost of Cannons (and thus, cost of Hwacha too).

Already good, if you ask me.

P.S.
Anyway, as I remeber Hwacha has also some other benefit exept Bom. str. of 12 too.
Is it no need for some resource, or cheaper cost?
(I realt don't remember)
Old October 28, 2002, 16:17   #14
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
catapuls cant go on jungles or mountains (can cannons)?
No, cannons can't either, unless there are connecting roads. They are also wheeled (artillery are not).

(But in MY mod, tanks, panzers, MI & MA are also wheeled...)
Old October 28, 2002, 19:02   #15
player1
Emperor

Quote:

No, cannons can't either, unless there are connecting roads. They are also wheeled (artillery are not).

(But in MY mod, tanks, panzers, MI & MA are also wheeled...)
This includes my MOD too.
And Arty and RA.
Old October 30, 2002, 18:13   #16
Gen.Dragolen
Warlord

Local Time: 03:52
vmax1,

As a rule of thumb, only 1 shot in 8 actually hits anything when bombarding. Part of the problem is that the buildings have a defensive strength of 8-16 depending on whose mod you look at.

In my own mind, cannons should be alot stronger and more expensive since in actual battle use, they could rip big holes in whatever you shot at but were vulnerable to counter-attack.

I have some historical precident for wanting a couple of different cannons in the game. Early siege bombards like the ones at Constantiople in 1492 weight several tons and fired stone balls 3 ft across. They were assembled on site and fired one or two shots a day.

The seige mortars used by the Europeans at the same time fired smaller iron shot that would still bring down a stone wall, though not as effectively as a trebuchet at punching holes in castle walls.

Improvements to the casting process and better gunpowder lead to smaller, longer range cannons on ships. The English ships that fought the Spanish Armada were a good example: 2-5 lb shot with about a pound of powder behind it and it could reliably hit a target at about 2-400 yds or so. Land based guns could fire further, but took many times longer to load and aim.

Fast forward to Naploeon's era in the late 1700's, and he had smooth bore cannons that could send a ball half a mile and have enough force to cut down men in file. Part of Wellington's tactical genius at Waterloo was to put his men on the reverse slope of the low hills and prevented Napoleon's gunners from bouncing their shots through their ranks. I've seen the battlefield and at the ranges they were setup at, it must have been frustrating for the French to see the cannon balls bounce over the heads of the English troops.

The US Civil War was the last hurrah for the smooth bore cannons. The Ironclads used rifled barrels like the Union's Springfield rifles did. This, combined with better metalurgy in the stock, and the machining of metal, made for a much improved weapon. Toss in High Explosive shells and there you have modern artillery.

As Player1 has detailed in his patch_suggestion mod thread, cannons in their present form are essentially useless, except in defense or in ridiculously large numbers. I'm working on my own mod and am going to make cannons and catapults able to do some damage to both units and buildings, and add a trebuchet unit.

Player1, I suggest doubling the attack strength of your support weapons and see if they at least hit once in a while, then do your comparrisons. I'll do my own and we'll compare notes.

D.

- Chinese Proverb