Old October 26, 2002, 12:15   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AC and newer Intels
A friend of mine is running a P4 2.4gig and is having trouble running AC. He gets a 'CPU is unsupported, may have trouble running' error when he starts it up, and it CTDs immediately after hitting 'Ok'.

Is anyone else running it successfully with a high end CPU?
Old October 26, 2002, 12:24   #2
spartak
King

Local Time: 09:53
I'm sure we have had mor ethan a couple of threads on this already. Its needs something in alpha.txt to be changed. Have a look at some of the older threads and you will probably find the answer.
Old October 26, 2002, 12:33   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
I tried looking up 'unsupported' and 'intel' in the feable excuse for a search engine here, but it came up with ZERO results.

Last edited by Sarxis; October 26, 2002 at 12:44.
Old October 26, 2002, 13:36   #4
Foosplayer
Settler

You HAVE to install the no-cd crack as well as editing the alpha.txt as mentioned above.

I was having the same problem on a 2.0 P4 until I installed the crack. You still get two warning messages -- 1 = cpu not supported 2 = something or other, but if you hit ok for both the game loads just fine.
Old October 26, 2002, 14:18   #5
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
isn't it forceoldvoxelalgorithm=1 in the alpha.ini? not the alpha.txt?
Old October 26, 2002, 15:07   #6
spartak
King

Check the faq thread.
Old October 26, 2002, 16:23   #7
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 04:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Foosplayer
You HAVE to install the no-cd crack as well as editing the alpha.txt as mentioned above.

Not true. I was able to run both SMAC and SMAX on a P4 without the no-cd crack. Doing so does require the forceoldvoxelalgorithm=1 addition to alphacentauri.ini. (not alpha.txt)
Old October 27, 2002, 03:10   #8
Foosplayer
Settler

It is .ini, not txt....was in a hurry.

I kept ctd and was about to throw my arms up in frustration until I installed the no-cd crack. I am using XP which might be the difference. Just letting you know what I had to do to make it work.

Sar.
Old October 27, 2002, 14:41   #9
Kajak
Chieftain

In my own fumblings to get a P4-2gig--Win xp pro machine to run Ac. See tThe not to old thread -Winxp issues- thread. On my machine the plain vanilla AC would run , but not the patched4 version without the fore mentioned forceolvo----=1 change.

A possible point of confusion( it was for me for a little while) was that line does not occur in the unpatched version .ini, but does occur in the p4 version .ini and as patched is set to 0.
Yes i still get the "unsupported" message but it does run. That's the good news.
The Bad News is that it does not eliminate the midgame terran.exe WinXP crashes. These can usually ( some times,once in a while) be avoided, but it takes some changes in game approach that are different form the usual (though many) game approaches.