Old October 26, 2002, 16:59   #1
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Embassies on The Lost Continent
From my experience, AIs will pay you for a RoP if you have a larger territory, regardless of how far the two civs are or whether they can even use the RoP. The actual cost is then determined according to your relations with the AIs and possibly other factors.
So far we have not signed any RoPs with the exception of the RoP with Persia, which we signed shortly before the French bribed them into declaring war on us. However, if we establish embassies in the capitals of China, India and Zululand, we will be able to sign RoPs and make some money without actually having to worry about them entering our territories!

The numbers
Embassy in China: 49 Lytons.
Embassy in Zululand: 98 Lytons.
Embassy in India: 105 Lytons.
Total cost: 252.

Now, I do not expect the RoPs to yield a lot of cash at the moment because the lost civs are completely dry after giving us all of their income and their treasuries. However, when we're done selling them tech and luxuries, we may want to sign RoPs with them.
The income from the RoP can cover the cost of the embassy and even create a nice additional income if we choose to renew the deal every 20 turns.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 26, 2002, 17:12   #2
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:54
Good call Shiber. I myself have used ROP's to great length in my own games and have found the same issues, that even if the other civs really don't NEED a ROP with you (and probably won't use it), they WILL pay for it, so this could be a very good way to accumulate some cash flow.
Old October 26, 2002, 17:13   #3
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Old October 26, 2002, 17:22   #4
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
Don't forget that we still need Embassies with the Iroquois & Babylonians.

Iroquois - 74 Lytons.
Babylon - 78 Lytons.

E_T
Old October 26, 2002, 18:06   #5
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I object your phrasing. IMHO we don't actually need embassies in the Iroquois and Babylonian capitals. We have no use for them as military allies, they will have very little to pay us for a RoP (if any at all) should we decide to sign one with them and trying to improve their attitude towards us is rather pointless IMHO since they'll be furious at us sooner or later as we continue to expand geographically, economically and militarily (you know how they get jealous).
That, unless I missed something.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 26, 2002, 18:11   #6
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 05:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
I object your phrasing. IMHO we don't actually need embassies in the Iroquois and Babylonian capitals. We have no use for them as military allies, they will have very little to pay us for a RoP (if any at all) should we decide to sign one with them and trying to improve their attitude towards us is rather pointless IMHO since they'll be furious at us sooner or later as we continue to expand geographically, economically and militarily (you know how they get jealous).
That, unless I missed something.
I was just pointing out that we also still needed Embassies with them, not that we might need them or not.

E_T
Old October 26, 2002, 19:48   #7
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
I personally despise ROPs as they only expire when one side or the other declares war on the the other half of the ROP.
Old October 26, 2002, 20:21   #8
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I personally despise ROPs as they only expire when one side or the other declares war on the the other half of the ROP.
This is not true... RoPs work much like peace treaties in that if a LPT cost is attached to them, they are renewed on each 20 turns. The difference is that a RoP CAN be peacefully ended at the point of renegotiation (unlike a peace treaty).

What's annoying about RoPs is that the game doesn't warn you when they come up for renegotiation, so you have to keep track of when that turn is (or attach LPT to it so the AI automatically contacts you when the time for renegotiation arrives).
Old October 26, 2002, 23:37   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

doesnt signing RoP improve relations as well?
Old October 27, 2002, 00:23   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:54
But how long will it realistically take for the other civs to build up the amounts of cash and Lpt that we consider our techs and RoPs worth? The Zulus and Chinese are basically financially bonded to us with everything, and only India seemed to have the large Lpt that we would want for our techs. Eventually we will have to trade or lose the opportunity to eg the Romans, but how long do we wait before selling in the mean time?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old October 27, 2002, 01:05   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos

This is not true... RoPs work much like peace treaties in that if a LPT cost is attached to them, they are renewed on each 20 turns. The difference is that a RoP CAN be peacefully ended at the point of renegotiation (unlike a peace treaty).

What's annoying about RoPs is that the game doesn't warn you when they come up for renegotiation, so you have to keep track of when that turn is (or attach LPT to it so the AI automatically contacts you when the time for renegotiation arrives).
That's not true, our RoP with Persia lasted 39 turns and NEVER came up for renegotiation and could not be cancelled. It only stopped when they declared war, and they were still allowed to trade through our roads while they were at war with us.
Old October 27, 2002, 01:19   #12
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

RoPs do have a 20 turn length like anything else. I speak from experience. If the RoP was never renegotiated or cancelled, I guess Persia was happy with it and we never bothered to do anything.
Old October 27, 2002, 02:16   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
RoPs do have a 20 turn length like anything else. I speak from experience. If the RoP was never renegotiated or cancelled, I guess Persia was happy with it and we never bothered to do anything.
After 20 turns we should be allowed to cancel it but the human player is NEVER given an option, the human is at he mercy of the AI player until war is declared.
Old October 27, 2002, 04:46   #14
Meshelic
King

Quote:

After 20 turns we should be allowed to cancel it but the human player is NEVER given an option, the human is at he mercy of the AI player until war is declared.
Not necessarily until war is declared. All it takes is paying attention to how long certain treaties have extended and being on top of things when they expire and let them do so.
Old October 27, 2002, 05:00   #15
Meshelic
King

Notice the HUGE amount of Gems in Zululand, eh? I believe my count is at 11! I believe that's close to a monopoly on the world, or at least well over half of all gem deposits.

Not to bring up the thought of another war or nothing...but those gems are so pretty...
Old October 27, 2002, 16:49   #16
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Quote:

Wierd. While there is no popup, I've always been able to cancel/renegotiate them in the "Active" treaties section in diplomacy.
Old October 27, 2002, 17:06   #17
Meshelic
King

kloreep I have encountered the same thing
Old October 28, 2002, 04:37   #18
Shiber
Emperor

I counted 12 gems. There's one in a city square.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old October 28, 2002, 04:45   #19
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 09:54
GEM$$$$$$$$$$$

We must take these precious jewels from the infidels and put them to good use (Our female population would be very pleased if were able to secure them cheap gems).

Future War plans .......
Old October 28, 2002, 08:33   #20
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Isn't there an option like “always renegotiate deals” or something to that effect that makes all deals come up after 20 turns?
Old October 28, 2002, 13:05   #21
GePap
Emperor

RoP can be renegotiated. That we didn't do it does not mean it can't be done. We have renegotiated several peace treaties, yet we would have never gotten a pop-up about it.

We should have embassies in all states: They give us much better options to fool around with the rest of the world. Even embassies with the crappy civs. its a one time investement, so why not?
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 28, 2002, 16:09   #22
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Randolph, that is 1.29f, and must be set at the begining of the game.

All those wanting war with the Zulus : There is no need at all for a military war overseas.

There's enough land on our own contientant that even if we were going after a domination victory, we could win the game without invading foreign islands.

And when the luxary deals come back for renewal, we may be better off trading one of our surplus Luxary (or surplus Saltpeter) for theres instead of parting with a tech.
Old October 31, 2002, 19:54   #23
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Embassies also make them happy, and the price goes up as the game goes on.
Old October 31, 2002, 19:56   #24
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Embassies also make them happy, and the price goes up as the game goes on.:b
Old November 1, 2002, 07:30   #25
Shiber
Emperor

You're got a point there.
- Phantom of the Opera