View Poll Results: What kind of multi-player demo game do you want to play?
Teams Within Apolyton (Secure Forum For Each Team) 21 50.00%
Multi-Site Game Against Other Forums (Minus CFC) 21 50.00%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26, 2002, 21:09   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 05:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PtW Demo Game: Teams or Multi-Site?
A bit of confusion developed over the new PtW Demo Game. Markos thought that it would be an entirely within-site game, where small groups of people would break off into teams and each team would play a civ. A couple other people thought he meant a demo game against other civ forums. So what do you guys want?

Let me remind you that TF (the admin over at Civ Fanatics) said that he wanted to hold off on a multi-site demo game for a couple months, so Fanatica's membership is severely in question.
Old October 26, 2002, 21:49   #2
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 09:54
I say, in site teams then after a few months or after the first game maybe multisite (after we infiltrate them with loyal apolytonian citizens).
Old October 26, 2002, 21:55   #3
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 01:54
I was thinking it was going to be a multi-site deal. I suppose in-site games would be fun as well, but I would like to see THIS same group of citizens play against another online group of gamers.
Old October 26, 2002, 21:59   #4
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 04:54
I want a multiple-nation Apolyton game

wouldnt everyone love to have a war of two Apolyton's? test the mettle of two great SMC's like Uber Vs. Agie, two great diplomats (ahem, no name mentioning), and such?

i dunno, my opinion
Old October 26, 2002, 22:24   #5
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Multi-site.

If we do teams, we'll have what, at most twenty members for teams? Where does that leave Demogamers who don't plan on buying the game but want to participate? With only twenty per team, their limited role would almost be a burdon on their team. I'd rather start off with multisite, and then when enough people have bought the game we can also start in-site games.

Remember, if we do an in apolyton game, there's no need for it to be a big issue. We all know each other, and we could always run one alongside a multi-site game. Granted, security will be tough in any multisite game, and we'll probably have to take a step backwards with many more things being via PM, but that's ok. We're all in it for fun, and think a larger game would be fun for more people -- at least at the start, when some won't have PtW.

-- adaMada
Old October 26, 2002, 23:00   #6
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

How many teams would we have for a multi site? CFC won't be in the game (and why have 3 people said 'Poly teams but there's only 2 votes for it?). A multi-site game would take far too long to setup, and far too long to play, IMO. Like nz said, we should do a team game now, and a multi-site later on once we get to the nuances of doing a PtW Demo Game.
Old October 26, 2002, 23:28   #7
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

I'm not very interested in a team game, since the teams would have to be small and, quite frankly, I'm not sure I could pull my weight.

So, I would vote multi-site; however, I'm probably not gonna have the time for a MP Demogame soon anyway, especially if MOO3 sucks up the time I hope it will. So I'll sit out the poll; I just want to say that, regardless of whether a team game is set up, I do hope a multi-site game is developed as well. Heck, it could be up and running in a few months; just because CFC doesn't want to play immediately doesn't mean we can't set up the rules and be ready to go when they are.
Old October 27, 2002, 00:09   #8
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

here is an idea Timeline and I somehow conjured up in a jibberish-like chat

Why don't we just mix the two options?

If two or more factions of Apolyton want to form seperate nations, and Fanatics have two or more factions, why dont we just allow them to form those nations they desire?

So in this manner, we can have as many nations as the people can form (there may have to be some basic laws to the minimum needed people signed up to a nation), and we can have citizens from either forum playing in any nation.
Old October 27, 2002, 00:32   #9
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Why won't CFC be in the game? Have they said they won't?
Old October 27, 2002, 01:07   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 03:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Ninot
here is an idea Timeline and I somehow conjured up in a jibberish-like chat

Why don't we just mix the two options?

If two or more factions of Apolyton want to form seperate nations, and Fanatics have two or more factions, why dont we just allow them to form those nations they desire?

So in this manner, we can have as many nations as the people can form (there may have to be some basic laws to the minimum needed people signed up to a nation), and we can have citizens from either forum playing in any nation.
That was my original hope.

I don't see why we can't do all three.
Old October 27, 2002, 02:55   #11
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Why won't CFC be in the game? Have they said they won't?
Didn't you read my last sentence in my first post?
Old October 27, 2002, 03:42   #12
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I'd like multiple Apolyton teams. It'd probably be easier to coordinate and whatnot, and could be pretty interesting.
Old October 27, 2002, 04:41   #13
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I'm all for both, but I think this could couse trouble if we had both going at the same time. Say an in-site set of games alone would be fine, but they would all have to be done as soon as we moved to multi-site game.
This would be because there might be division amongst gamers who are currently playing each other AND THEN playing another site at the same time. Could cause internal bickering that wouldn't be healthy for the main game.

That make sense at all?
Old October 27, 2002, 04:44   #14
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 10:54
Interesting to see how strongly the Apolytinians want to fight under the Apolytonia flag. Esprit de corps. But we need training since no one has experienced the MP game; so the team contest within Apolytonia is a must.
Old October 27, 2002, 05:03   #15
Meshelic
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
Interesting to see how strongly the Apolytinians want to fight under the Apolytonia flag. Esprit de corps. But we need training since no one has experienced the MP game; so the team contest within Apolytonia is a must.
True but I still think that team contests within Apolyton should all take place at the same time and end at the same time to not conflict with a multi-site game.
Old October 27, 2002, 10:59   #16
jdd2007
NationStates
King

we should do intra-site team games for a while before starting the inter-site democracy games. so really, both.
Old October 27, 2002, 11:55   #17
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Like I said in the PTW members thread, do small poly teams to practice on untill the MSDG comes around. With maps no bigger then regular and several different teams, we would just use the honor system umongst oursleves to stay out of each others forums. After the game is complete, or we figure out who would eventualy win, we stop and discuss the hows and whys of what happened. Use this as a tool to ensure our dominance in a future MSDG.
Old October 27, 2002, 11:57   #18
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Oh, yeah... NO CFC or other site (if possible) cause I don't want them benifiting from our work...
Old October 27, 2002, 12:17   #19
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

It should be against Civ Fanatics. And if they are dont want to play right now then we should do a team thing until they are ready.

Sell your photos
Old October 28, 2002, 08:43   #20
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Whops, guess I need to be a bit more carefull...

Though I’m sure with sufficient taunting they’ll come around
Old October 28, 2002, 10:00   #21
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Teams within Apolyton. It'd be kinda fun to team up and play against each other.
Old October 28, 2002, 17:01   #22
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Both.

In house first, then against all the others once we have some practice.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old October 28, 2002, 17:15   #23
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

breaking up into team would be cool for the sake of learning how playing other humans will affect the game, sort of give us a basis for making decisions in the multi-site games.
But maybe we should do it while prepping for the multi-site game and begin the true multi-site as soon as preparations are made.
Regardless, security issues should be addressed soon.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old October 29, 2002, 18:32   #24
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Eigther 2 human civs or lots of human civs2 because http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=51378 mentions alot of MP cheats. According to http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=65620 there is a limit to 8 civs (AI and human) in MP games.

Last edited by realpolitic; October 29, 2002 at 18:47.
Old October 31, 2002, 10:26   #25
GePap
Emperor

A multi site game without CivFanatics would not be very fun- as they are the other great 'civ power'. Besides, no one knows the dinamics of human vs human, and how we set this game up might influence how the multi-site game is set up- specially concerning rules about info sharing, or not.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old October 31, 2002, 10:52   #26
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 11:54
Let's do it in-house first, and see what happens.
After that I'll be more then happy to CFC and others

ehm: I might have mentioned this before on (several) other occassions, but if possible make it continent versus continent.
If off-course there are enough players from both(all) sides. This would IMO spice things up a bit IMHO
Old October 31, 2002, 12:14   #27
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i like smaller groups (10-15 people).

it may not be fair to the less known people, but it'll make everything easier.

we'd need private forums / chatroms on poly's server though
Old October 31, 2002, 19:14   #28
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

A Multi-site game sounds like fun. It gives us extra incentive to hone our skills, even when were way ahead.
Old November 1, 2002, 14:01   #29
nalob
Chieftain

We already made a start about organizing a intersite DG for PTW by making a board where all the sites can debate and discuss an intersite game. We named it the UN council for appointed representatives and the UN open forum . Everyone should be able to post on the open forum even without a 1BC membership. We have five nations with diplomats:

-Apolytonia
-Fanatika
-Demogyptica
-The Bengal Republic
-The Community

Let me know if your interested in getting it organized. From the reactions we got, all sites are interested in an intersite game.
Old November 1, 2002, 15:17   #30
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada
Multi-site.

If we do teams, we'll have what, at most twenty members for teams? Where does that leave Demogamers who don't plan on buying the game but want to participate? With only twenty per team, their limited role would almost be a burdon on their team. I'd rather start off with multisite, and then when enough people have bought the game we can also start in-site games.

Remember, if we do an in apolyton game, there's no need for it to be a big issue. We all know each other, and we could always run one alongside a multi-site game. Granted, security will be tough in any multisite game, and we'll probably have to take a step backwards with many more things being via PM, but that's ok. We're all in it for fun, and think a larger game would be fun for more people -- at least at the start, when some won't have PtW.

-- adaMada
Does everyone have to own PTW to be able to be on a team?