Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 27, 2002, 12:16   #1
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 10:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
military 1440AD

Although the 3 known civs are at war with us, it's only a onesided action( <-- enemy slamming into our wall of defence )...we aren't activly attacking anyone...and will not(except if the ppl of new apolytonia demand it)
If someone would want to enlist in such an endavour and go bash some heads I suggest we at least wait for gunpowder to come.

Again there is not really much to poll about ...most orders from the previous session are still "under construction" so to say. The only 2 questions I have are wich island this trireme should go explore?(cfr screens) and should we continue a steady buildup of diplo's(always be building 1 diplo somewhere untill all cities have one).
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	trireme1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	27936  
Old October 27, 2002, 12:24   #2
shade
King

...little note to our foreign advisor: "the first 4 options of the poll are not to undermine your possition, but we are at war...and although I don't like this...the ppl have the right to ask for military actions from our side,although it would be silly. So the final result should be a combo of your polls and this one if both say war I send in troops...if only mine says war we forget it and if only yours says war we declare it and let them squash into our defences...or I just am very borred and am looking for something to do "
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	trireme2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	27937  
Old October 27, 2002, 12:29   #3
shade
King

little question for our prez:
" why are we building a phalanx in Avila? It already has 3 defencive units and the rest of the island has enough of them to. "
is this a or is there a master plan I am not aware of?

btw the poll is over 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	phalanx.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	27938  
Old October 27, 2002, 12:51   #4
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 11:55
Quote:
Originally posted by shade
" why are we building a phalanx in Avila? It already has 3 defencive units and the rest of the island has enough of them to. "

We have Leo's and are close to gunpowder, why arent we building warriors?

As the tiremme is empty I suggest we bring it home first and load it with diplo's.

It's not much use exploring now.
Old October 27, 2002, 14:20   #5
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa
As the tiremme is empty I suggest we bring it home first and load it with diplo's.

It's not much use exploring now.
you're right ...then I think it's best to just send it the same path but continue to oblida take a unit aboard there and then return upward to one of the 2 options.
(this trireme is really far away from evry city)

Shade
Old October 27, 2002, 15:00   #6
cavebear
Emperor

Local Time: 04:55
Quote:
is this a or is there a master plan I am not aware of?
It's a plan. Those Barb Horse that have shown up in the area twice now have killed 2 Phalanx, a Warrior, and a Horse (all fortified) in Saragossa, and Avila has better production than Saragossa. I don't want to accidently build anything more expensive than a Phalanx (in case I forget to keep checking on it), but I want to be prepared to Rush a Crusader if they show up again (or a Horse and wait for an upgrade).

We seem to have a Barb Hotspot west of Saragossa. I think we should build a city 2 squares west of the Saragossa corn, to cover the area. You think that might get us some peace? Or we could leave it be to get continuing ransom gold from new Barb leaders. I can go either way...
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old October 27, 2002, 15:13   #7
cavebear
Emperor

That Trireme doesn't really have any useful territory to explore. Why don't we send it toward the "bottleneck", where the Freeport Settler and Trireme will go to establish a city? That way, the Trireme can sail through the new city and explore to the huge blank areas to the North and East.

One Trireme will head North and the other East... We *must* find those other civs, though we really should have Dips on them for when they find one (there is a Dip in Freeport that could be sent with the Settler).

Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old October 27, 2002, 15:25   #8
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:55
Quote:
...little note to our foreign advisor: "the first 4 options of the poll are not to undermine your possition, but we are at war...and although I don't like this...the ppl have the right to ask for military actions from our side,although it would be silly. So the final result should be a combo of your polls and this one if both say war I send in troops...if only mine says war we forget it and if only yours says war we declare it and let them squash into our defences...or I just am very borred and am looking for something to do "
Thats ok, my poll only ask if we should contice the war, and steal things, not take over things.
Old October 27, 2002, 16:02   #9
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
Thats ok, my poll only ask if we should contice the war, and steal things, not take over things.
I'm glad we understand one-another perfectly.

Cavebear, thx for the info...about the trireme...I'll try to have a new look at the save before sending the report...the problem with that trireme is that it's to far away from any part of our civilization.

Shade
Old October 27, 2002, 16:30   #10
cavebear
Emperor

Quote:
Cavebear, thx for the info...about the trireme...I'll try to have a new look at the save before sending the report...the problem with that trireme is that it's to far away from any part of our civilization. Shade
Our situation with our Triremes is difficult. We've been using them for trade transport with the Chinese mostly, but those are rather awkward trips, and keep our ships in the southern areas. Our other ships have become dispersed in exploration of our nearby surroundings, and have gotten somewhat away from home. Without units to tip huts or Dips to establish embassies, they are not as useful as they could be.

Rather than digging ourselves further into a hole of finding our exploratory ships further and further away but not of much use (other than charting our world), I suggest that we consider improving the situation.

Let us locate our ships and organize their missions (wouldn't it be nice if we could name them for identification?). Ships that are nearest to our cities should carry a Dip and a military unit each (or 2 Dips?). These would be transported in the direction of unmanned ships that would head for a common meeting point.

The Dips and Military units could be dropped off on vacant land for a turn or two while the far-flung ships picked them up (saving time for the transport ships to return to trading routes).

In not *too* many turns, we would have exploring Triremes with units aboard seeking out the missing civs, and other Triremes back to trade and Barb "recruitment" duties.

I think this would be a good project for the Minister of Imperial Expansion to take on. Does all this sound about right to you? I wouldn't mind *anyone* taking on that project, quite frankly, even an interested Citizen. Come to think of it, it would be really fascinating if 2 or more people examined the problem and presented alternative solutions.

Old October 27, 2002, 17:14   #11
shade
King

sounds good to me

Shade
Old October 27, 2002, 17:56   #12
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

y,
Old October 28, 2002, 05:12   #13
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS WE SHOULD KILL THE CARTHS AND JAPS?!

For chrissakes, we're about to have gunpowder and nobody wants to shore up our production for the Space Race?
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old October 28, 2002, 06:07   #14
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO THINKS WE SHOULD KILL THE CARTHS AND JAPS?!
yep, you are the only one
(btw when waging a war you need to support your military units...and most of our cities only have 1 or 2 shields to spare/use )

Shade
Old October 28, 2002, 06:47   #15
JCP
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameMacCivilization II Succession GamesScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

It seems good !
But beware of the effect of outdoor units on unhappiness : don't concentrate triremes on the same home city, and avoid embarking units others than diplos or caravans !
Old October 28, 2002, 13:28   #16
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JCP
It seems good !
But beware of the effect of outdoor units on unhappiness : don't concentrate triremes on the same home city, and avoid embarking units others than diplos or caravans !
every trireme is connected to a different city(as are the other exploring units...1 horsemen and 1 (NONE IIRC) crusader and a legion(NONE?) )

Shade
Old October 28, 2002, 15:47   #17
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Well, with gunpowder we can kick some bootay whether or not we have many units.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old October 28, 2002, 16:19   #18
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 05:55
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear

It's a plan. Those Barb Horse that have shown up in the area twice now have killed 2 Phalanx, a Warrior, and a Horse (all fortified) in Saragossa, and Avila has better production than Saragossa. I don't want to accidently build anything more expensive than a Phalanx (in case I forget to keep checking on it), but I want to be prepared to Rush a Crusader if they show up again (or a Horse and wait for an upgrade).

We seem to have a Barb Hotspot west of Saragossa. I think we should build a city 2 squares west of the Saragossa corn, to cover the area. You think that might get us some peace? Or we could leave it be to get continuing ransom gold from new Barb leaders. I can go either way...
Not a bad plan..........But couldn't we just use the NON legion unit in Cadiz? then build warrior that will change to musketeer in few turns?
Old October 28, 2002, 18:19   #19
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by atawa

We have Leo's and are close to gunpowder, why arent we building warriors?
Totally agree with that, atawa, so long as we don't overdo it. We don't want to pay more support than we need to as we race to the stars.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten