Old October 28, 2002, 01:03   #1
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 19:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Civil War in Multiplayer
Has anyone ever seen a civil war triggered in multiplayer?

In Single player its triggered when you capture the capital of the largest civ (as measured by the PG). The civ splits into 2 civs.

Someone suggested to me you can't get a civil war in multiplayer. Can someone confirm this with an authoritative source?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old October 28, 2002, 01:11   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 04:56
Never seen it... and I think it was discussed a ways back that it can't happen to a human player... However, no proof
Old October 28, 2002, 01:18   #3
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I think I have the proof now

Old October 28, 2002, 02:15   #4
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 02:56
don't they also have to have less than 1000gc otherwise the cap is moved.
Old October 28, 2002, 02:24   #5
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Damn annoying when they move their cap like that

Old October 28, 2002, 08:03   #6
finbar
Civilization II MultiplayerMac
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
I've never seen it in MP. I suspect it's exclusive to SP. I've seen the civ leading the PG split, I've seen the civ coming second on the PG split.
Old October 28, 2002, 08:04   #7
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Makeo
don't they also have to have less than 1000gc otherwise the cap is moved.
I've seen civs with squillions in their treasury split.
Old October 28, 2002, 08:21   #8
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by finbar
I've never seen it in MP. I suspect it's exclusive to SP. I've seen the civ leading the PG split, I've seen the civ coming second on the PG split.
Really - never seen that or the high gold civil war. Could it be a civ for Mac thing?

I know there have to be slots available for a civil war to occur i.e. no more than 7 civs in the game.

Old October 28, 2002, 15:20   #9
Frank Johnson
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 03:56
Hm I though only a democracy could recolcate its capital with gold.

I also remember hearing that its easier to break up a communism, monarchy, despoitsm than a republic, democracy etc.....

However I lost my capital in one game, playing the equivilent of a fundamentalism, and I didn't get split. There was room for a civ, and don't believe I had 1000 G sitting around either.....I wasn't the 1st or even 2nd most powerful, so....I can't say if I was at risk or not. I do know my fundy kept going quite fine without a capital.
Old October 28, 2002, 19:35   #10
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Really - never seen that or the high gold civil war. Could it be a civ for Mac thing?
I don't think it's a Mac-specific thing. Civ splitting in SP has been batted around in these forums for years. For every theory there's a counter theory. When I'm bored during the day, I play some SP. Whenever I cause a civ to split, I make a point of saving the game to reload it to check the PG. The split civ has always been first or second on the PG, I have always been below it on the PG, and a treasury balance hasn't entered into it.

Of course we know that the PG doesn't necessarily reflect population. It may be that population is a key. Next time it happens I'll check for that.

The problem is there's no reference to civ splitting in the manual. Or in my Strategy Guide, for that matter, which is a surprise.

Quote:
I know there have to be slots available for a civil war to occur i.e. no more than 7 civs in the game.
A civ has to have disappeared from the game - freeing up a colour - for it to occur. If you start a game with, say, only 4 civs selected, the split civ can't pick up a colour that wasn't selected at the outset. For the purposes of that game, those colours don't exist.
Old October 28, 2002, 20:04   #11
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:

A civ has to have disappeared from the game - freeing up a colour - for it to occur. If you start a game with, say, only 4 civs selected, the split civ can't pick up a colour that wasn't selected at the outset. For the purposes of that game, those colours don't exist.
That bit can't be right - at least in SP - when I split the civ I'm thinking of, dark blue appears and that colour has never been in the game, giving a total of 5 civs in a game where only 4 were originally selected.

Don't ask me to post a save or that other thing might kick off again

Old October 28, 2002, 20:28   #12
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
That bit can't be right - at least in SP - when I split the civ I'm thinking of, dark blue appears and that colour has never been in the game, giving a total of 5 civs in a game where only 4 were originally selected.
Never seen it in SP.

Quote:
Don't ask me to post a save or that other thing might kick off again
Old October 28, 2002, 20:49   #13
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I've seen civs split up to a total of 7 in SP regardless of how many civs started in the game.

I know this because my favorite SP strat was to cash up - take the ai civ capital triggering civil war and then buy all their cities. Repeat this process until I had conquered the world, leaving one little city, preferably on an island with no port whilst I maxed out my score

Old October 28, 2002, 21:31   #14
finbar
Emperor

Mmmm. Upon reflection, you're probably right. It occurred to me that my SP games are always with 7 civs. For the challenge, y'see.
Old October 28, 2002, 23:04   #15
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Quote:
Mmmm. Upon reflection, you're probably right. It occurred to me that my SP games are always with 7 civs. For the challenge, y'see.

I play 7 civs too but you usually only get 4 decent ai ones and 2 mini civs.

Old October 28, 2002, 23:46   #16
finbar
Emperor

Quote:

I play 7 civs too but you usually only get 4 decent ai ones and 2 mini civs.
My latest little challenge is to wander with the settlers, tipping huts to find enough archers and horses to kill at least one AI civ before I build my capital.

The delightful thing is that, without a city built, you can camp units beside the AI civ's capital, agree to a peace treaty to stop them attacking you, click on the Remove option when they demand you remove your troops, your troops stay exactly where they are, the AI civ is happy until next they ask you to remove them, when you do exactly the same thing. It also has no impact on your reputation, and, when you finally attack and wipe them out - even though you have a peace treaty - your reputation isn't affected either.
Old October 29, 2002, 00:47   #17
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I think you must be getting close to playing the civ CD backwards in search of hidden messages

Old October 29, 2002, 01:51   #18
finbar
Emperor

Quote:
I think you must be getting close to playing the civ CD backwards in search of hidden messages
I did. At the very end it says: "The Sioux are dead".
Old October 29, 2002, 04:44   #19
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:56
Quote:

My latest little challenge is to wander with the settlers, tipping huts to find enough archers and horses to kill at least one AI civ before I build my capital.

The delightful thing is that, without a city built, you can camp units beside the AI civ's capital, agree to a peace treaty to stop them attacking you, click on the Remove option when they demand you remove your troops, your troops stay exactly where they are, the AI civ is happy until next they ask you to remove them, when you do exactly the same thing. It also has no impact on your reputation, and, when you finally attack and wipe them out - even though you have a peace treaty - your reputation isn't affected either.
he he he

That's an old trick
Old October 29, 2002, 17:16   #20
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by deity

he he he

That's an old trick
your an old trickster.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old October 30, 2002, 15:21   #21
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 05:56
I've triggered a Civil War a few times in hotseat Multiplayer. Back in the day when Buddy and I would play, neither of us had a PC, so we went to the college library and played each other hotseat there. In one game I triggered a Civil War on him TWICE. HEHEHE, he ****ing hated me for that.

I've never seen it in internet games, but it IS possible in hotseat (and damn fun when it works too).

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah